Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting inserting and replacing lines with awk Post 302529983 by ctsgnb on Saturday 11th of June 2011 09:19:28 PM
Old 06-11-2011
The example you posted are very long and the lines does not correspond between input file, replacement file , and output file (it looks as if they were screwed).
I mean i don't see the logic that should be followed.

I think you should post a shorter an cleaner example of infile, insert file and output expected so we could

1) quickly understand the logic of formatting
2) provide you a more accurate answer

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting specific lines in vi

How can I insert, say lines 500 - 700 from another file into the current file on the current line (cursor) that I am editing while in vi (AIX). I know how to insert the entire file but how do you do it when you only need certain lines from a huge file? I've referenced my Unix Unleash book but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

inserting a lines in a file

Hi folks, i need to insert the same set of lines between each line input lines 111111 aaaaaa 333333 output should be 111111 1 2 3 aaaaaa 1 2 3 333333 1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balaji Sukumara
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

inserting lines

Hi I would like to add lines to a file at specific locations. eg: If I have a file containing data... ABC DEF GHIJKLKMNOP RSTUVWXYZ and I have a requirement to insert a lines a) "LINE_FIRST" before first line in the file b) "LINE_X" before third line in the file c) "LINE_LAST"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing lines between two files with awk

Hello Masters, I have two subtitles file with different language like below First file : 1 00:00:41,136 --> 00:00:43,900 2 00:00:55,383 --> 00:00:58,477 <i> Ladies and gentlemen,</i> <i>this is Simon Barsinister,</i> 3 00:00:58,553 --> 00:01:00,521 <i>the wickedest man in the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rk4k
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

inserting multiple lines with awk

awk '/<login-module code="com.nlayers.seneca.security.LdapLogin" flag="sufficient">/{p++} /<login-module code="com.nlayers.seneca.security.LdapLogin" flag="sufficient">/ && p==1 {$0="Mulitple lines here\n"$0}1' login-config.xml In the above awk code inside shell script, i am having problems when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in replacing two blank lines with two lines of diff data

Hi.. I'm facing a trouble in replacing two blank lines in a file using shell script... I used sed to search a line and insert two blank lines after the searchd line using the following sed command. sed "/data/{G;G;}/" filename . In the file, after data tag, two lines got inserted blank lines..... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjun_arippa
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding lines with a regular expression, replacing them with blank lines

So the tag for this forum says all newbies welcome... All I want to do is go through my file and find lines which contain a given string of characters then replace these with a blank line. I really tried to find a simple command to do this but failed. Here's what I did come up with though: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Golpette
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing over specific lines and replacing the lines with the sum using sed, awk

Hi friends, This is sed & awk type question. I have a text file which has numbers spread all over the file. I want to sum the series of numbers whenever i find it and produce an output file with the sum. For example ###start of input text file #### abc def ghi 1 2 3 4 kjld random... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing lines matching a multi-line pattern (sed/perl/awk)

Dear Unix Forums, I am hoping you can help me with a pattern matching problem. What am I trying to do? I want to replace multiple lines of a text file (that match a multi-line pattern) with a single line of text. These patterns can span several lines and do not always have the same number of... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: thefang
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging multiple lines to columns with awk, while inserting commas for missing lines

Hello all, I have a large csv file where there are four types of rows I need to merge into one row per person, where there is a column for each possible code / type of row, even if that code/row isn't there for that person. In the csv, a person may be listed from one to four times... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: RalphNY
9 Replies
IP2HOST(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						IP2HOST(1)

NAME
ip2host - Resolves IPs to hostnames in web server logs SYNOPSIS
ip2host [OPTIONS] [cache_file] < infile > outfile infile - Web server log file. outfile - Same as input file, but with IPs resolved to hostnames. Options: --children=... Number of child processes to spawn (default: 40) --timeout=... Seconds to wait on DNS response (default: 20) --buffer=... Maximum number of log lines to keep in memory (default: 50000) --flush=... Number of lines to process before flushing output buffer (default: 500) --cache=... Filename to use as disk cache (default: none) --ttl=... Number of seconds before IPs cached on disk are expired (default: 604800 - One week) DESCRIPTION
This is a faster, drop-in replacement for the logresolve utility distributed with the Apache web server. It's been reported to work under Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, Tru64, and IRIX. AUTHOR
Maurice Aubrey <maurice.aubrey+ip2host@gmail.com> Based on the logresolve.pl script by Rob Hartill. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1999-2007, Maurice Aubrey <maurice.aubrey+ip2host@gmail.com>. This module is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. README
Resolves IPs to hostnames in web server logs. This is a faster, drop-in replacement for the logresolve utility distributed with the Apache web server. SCRIPT CATEGORIES
Web perl v5.14.2 2012-02-15 IP2HOST(1)