Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Manipulate columns using sed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Manipulate columns using sed Post 302529979 by ctsgnb on Saturday 11th of June 2011 09:02:19 PM
Old 06-11-2011
Try
Code:
sed 's/^\[[^ ]*//' infile

Or post an example of input you have and output you expect

Last edited by ctsgnb; 06-11-2011 at 10:09 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to ctsgnb For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

manipulate csv file to add columns

Hi, I have a csv file with a key composed by 3 columns and some other numeric fields and I need to obtain the partial amounts by some part of the key. This may be some difficult to understand, so better see an example, where my input file is: name,surname,department,y2004,y2005,y2006... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oscarmon
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed to manipulate text in files

Hi, I have a slight problem in trying to manipulate the text within a file using the "sed" command in that the text i need changed has "/" slashes in. I have a .sh script that scans the "/db/sybbackup/" directories for any .dmp file older than 2 days and then to >> the information to a file called... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jefferson333
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed command to find, manipulate and replace a number

Hi, Im very new to the world of sed so I'm really not even sure if this is possible. What i need to do is read from a flat file and every time i see this line: VAL=123,456 I need to change 456 to 457 for every occurence of this line in the file. The numbers 123 and 456 are different for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LT_2008
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

RE or Sed to manipulate a document

I have a file with a list of about 2500 lines that I'd like to reformat using some regex in notepad++ or sed from my box (FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE i386) to do the following: convert from: mycommand > mydocument0.htmlbcfn mycommand > mydocument1.htmlcdcsfn mycommand > mydocument2.htmldechfn... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpfreak
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

manipulate postscript via sed

dear all, on solaris10 for x86 i am trying to modify the creation date of a postscript file with sed in a csh script. sed is driving me crazy though...i think due to the spaces in the string i am trying to substitute?? part of the postscript file: %!PS-Adobe-3.0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lada niva
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulate lines with sed/awk

Hey All, I need to reorganize a file's text. Here is the source: host John_Doe filename "config.cfg"; hardware ethernet 98:10:3d:13:8f:98; fixed-address 10.10.10.29; } host Jane_Doe filename "config.cfg"; hardware ethernet 98:13:11:fd:5a:57; fixed-address 10.10.5.24; } host... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheBigAmbulance
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed script to manipulate the /etc/passwd file

Hi. Can anybody help me with a script to extract usernames, shell and home_directory from the /etc/passwd file. I am stuck (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pauline mugisha
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Manipulate and move columns in a file

Hello Unix Gurus, I have a request 2 perform several functions on a file, delete columns, delete rows based on column value, and finally move around columns in the final output. Consider the following input file with 12 columns; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chumsky
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulate the columns of 2 files

Hello, I have two files to be treated. First file: col1 col2 col3 col4 Second file: colbis - I try to add the unique column of the file 2 towards the file 1. - To obtain the following result with a shell script ksh: col1 col2 col3 col4 colbis (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: khalidou13
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - manipulate data by columns and repeated

Hello good afternoon to everyone. I'm new to the forum and would like to request your help in handling data. I hope my English is clear. I have a file (Dato01.txt) to contine the following structure. # Col1 - Col2 - Col3 - Col4 Patricia started Jun 22 05:22:58 Carolina started Jun... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kelevra
5 Replies
COLUMN(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 COLUMN(1)

NAME
column -- columnate lists SYNOPSIS
column [-tx] [-c columns] [-s sep] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The column utility formats its input into multiple columns. Rows are filled before columns. Input is taken from file operands, or, by default, from the standard input. Empty lines are ignored. The options are as follows: -c Output is formatted for a display columns wide. -s Specify a set of characters to be used to delimit columns for the -t option. -t Determine the number of columns the input contains and create a table. Columns are delimited with whitespace, by default, or with the characters supplied using the -s option. Useful for pretty-printing displays. -x Fill columns before filling rows. ENVIRONMENT
The COLUMNS, LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of column as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The column utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
(printf "PERM LINKS OWNER GROUP SIZE MONTH DAY " ; printf "HH:MM/YEAR NAME " ; ls -l | sed 1d) | column -t SEE ALSO
colrm(1), ls(1), paste(1), sort(1) HISTORY
The column command appeared in 4.3BSD-Reno. BUGS
Input lines are limited to LINE_MAX (2048) bytes in length. BSD
July 29, 2004 BSD