Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Printing from Shell Script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Printing from Shell Script Post 302529572 by ttilsch on Thursday 9th of June 2011 03:32:46 PM
Old 06-09-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Because aliases don't work in scripts. Aliases only work for interactive users.

Functions will though, if your shell has them. What is your shell?
Korn Shell

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing in shell

i need to get this done for college and am having troyble getting the comma removed at the last email address and also if there is no email address i get a space instead of nothing, the question is below so if anyone has an idea how to do it could they help me also u cannot use perl Background:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: benny_cash
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing last argument in shell script

All, I am having a shell script and i will pass different argument diferent time . Please tell me how can i find the last argument that i passsed each time when i exec the script. Thanks, Arun. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem printing the property of xml file via shell script

Hi, I have a config.xml which cointains the tags like <CONFIG> <PROPERTY name="port" value="1111"/> <PROPERTY name="dbname" value="ABCDE"/> <PROPERTY name="connectstring" value="xyz/pwd"/> </CONFIG> This file is in some directory at UNix box. I need to write a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeto
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed in a shell script for printing files

Hi All, I am writing a shell script to print all the files in a particular folder. This script is on solaris server . I am using the lp command to send the requests . lp -d printername filename . The output I get is the request id. Is there any way I can use the request Id to determine if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shahshilpa
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf in bash shell not printing negative values

hi i am using printf in a script and it is not printing negative values..i have to use printf to get rid of the newline..here is my code: fin=`echo $a - $b | bc` printf "${fin}," >> test these statements are in a loop. here is what i get when i try to subtract 4 from 8: ./scr1: line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script, why isn't if printing message?

Why isn't printing message? 1 #!/bin/sh 2 3 something(){ 4 echo "Inside something" 5 echo $1 $2 6 } 7 val=$(something "Hello " "world") But it prints. 1 #!/bin/sh 2 3 something(){ 4 echo "Inside something" 5 echo $1 $2 6 } 7... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with Korn Shell script for substring printing

Hi all, I am new to scripting. I have a file with colon separated values called mylist.txt cat mylist.txt 192.123.76.89:lmprod89 162.122.20.28:lmtstserver28 10.80.32.139:hewprod139 . . using our internal os utility (called mvsping) we need to check all these servers if they are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with printing new line in shell script

I'm having a script which outputs four different attributes A, B, C, D for a list of users. I want to insert expression such that once the output is generated for first user, output for next user should be printed in new line. Please help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: surdileep
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell : eliminating zero values and printing

I have a log file containing the below data and should have the output file as below. and the output file should not contain any 0 values. Eg. It should not contain 0000000:0000000 in it. input.txt Media200.5.5.1 00010003:065D1202 Media100.5.5.2 7,588,666,067,931,543... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing line in shell script

Need assistance in getting a shell program . I have csv file and each line has comma separated number. I wanted to take of the comas and print each number in each line . below example. Appreicate your help Row with number ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
14 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)