Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Problem accessing my domain from some computers Post 302529087 by Percyval on Wednesday 8th of June 2011 12:53:02 PM
Old 06-08-2011
Data Problem accessing my domain from some computers

I hope I'm posting this in the right forum...

Hi, I'm a newbie trying to set up my own home web server. I have an old laptop where I have a LAMP set up.

Virgin Media won't give me a static IP so I am using dyndns, my IP hasn't changed for months anyway...

So the problem is this...

The domain is leatherheadmfc.co.uk . From within the same network connection I can access the domain no problems. From my mobile phone, on a different network I can also access the domain with no problems.

However, I cannot reach the domain from any other computer outside of the network. A friend of mine from Poland was able to, but in the UK I have tried 3-4 computers with no luck, all give the standard 'Could not reach this page' error message. I have tried prefacing the domain with http:// to make sure, no luck.

Also, I cannot access my IP which is 82.3.228.202 (correct at time of posting, like I said it's not static). I can access it from my mobile and get the standard Apache page, as expected. I can also ping the IP and domain and get the correct response.

I thought at first it might be the DNS propagating slowly but it has been about 10 days now and I don't think that explains the direct IP not working anyway!

I would really appreciate any help anyone can give! If you need me to provide more information then let me know.

Thanks!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

domain name problem

Oct 8 05:01:50 servername sendmail: My unqualified host name (servername) unknown; sleeping for retry Oct 8 05:02:50 servername sendmail: unable to qualify my own domain name (servername) -- using short name hi, dmesg catch this error. so what is it about and what shall i rectify about it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yls177
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

Problem accessing network using Linux

Ok, here at work, we have Windows computers which login into a MS domain server. Some of us also have Linux boxes which get a ip address from the dhcp server. We can see other boxes and see the internet until about 1 week ago. Now, we still get a ip address but can't see anything within our... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: natter
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem accessing csh ?? (Newbie)

Hi All, Just recently started using a program in Unix for a client. I was sent a script to use but for some reason it's not working. The person who created the script first suggested I may need to edit the first line of the script so that it has the correct path for the csh file: #!/bin/csh -f... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gmalt
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Problem with accessing SAN disks

Hi, I'm having a problem when attempting to define the OCR location for my 10g RAC setup on Solaris 10. I get the following error: The specified shared raw partition /dev/did/rdsk/d1s0 may not have the correct permission. Verify that the partition is owned by Oracle user. As per the Oracle10g... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael.chow
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in accessing variables outside shell

Hi, I have a shell script wherein i am doing some file operations and storing the data in some variables. I am exporting these variables as i need to use them outside shell. Then within the shell i am launching GDB session hoping that i will be able to access the exported variables in the GDB... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsantosh
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Problem Accessing disk

Basically I´m Absolutely New to Opensolaris (Started Using It This Morning), I´m Following A Tutorial On How To Access NTFS Partitions. Device Driver Utility Finds It And Says Everythings Fine With It DISK : ST3160022ACE Capacity : 160G Driver ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xXCanisLupusXx
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem accessing array elements

Hi all, I can’t resolve an array element access issue on (Linux/pdksh) .. So I’m positing for advice.By the way - a friend demonstrated to me - same script works as expected under Solaris. I have been working on a documentation project where many *.jpg screen shots are used in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: njdpo
4 Replies

8. IP Networking

Problem in eth0 and eth1 sharing internet with other computers

hellow everbody. iam using 32 bit centos 6.2 on my desktop and iam new to linux. i have eth0 and eth1 on my desktop. so i have some problems i have menson here: i have edited: etc/sysctl.conf net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1 and i have edited iptables too # iptables -t nat -A... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paruhang
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with accessing Samba shares on external (NON-DOMAIN) webserver(s)

Hi all, You may have seen my recent topic, where I asked for help getting some samba shares to work on our network. Now that these are working, I move on to the next hurdle! We have a few externally hosted (Windows Server 2008 R2) web servers which are not on our domain, but can still... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgreen81
0 Replies
YPSET(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						  YPSET(8)

NAME
ypset -- tell ypbind(8) which YP server process to use SYNOPSIS
ypset [-h host] [-d domain] server DESCRIPTION
The ypset utility tells the ypbind(8) process on the current machine which YP server process to communicate with. If server is down or is not running a YP server process, it is not discovered until a YP client process attempts to access a YP map, at which time ypbind(8) tests the binding and takes appropriate action. The ypset utility is most useful for binding a YP client that is not on the same broadcast network as the closest YP server, but can also be used for debugging a local network's YP configuration, testing specific YP client programs, or binding to a specific server when there are many servers on the local network supplying YP maps. The options are as follows: -h host Set the YP binding on host instead of the local machine. -d domain Use the YP domain domain instead of the default domain as returned by domainname(1). SEE ALSO
domainname(1), ypcat(1), ypmatch(1), yp(8), ypbind(8) AUTHORS
Theo De Raadt BSD
October 25, 1994 BSD