Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Page Fault + Memory
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Page Fault + Memory Post 302527535 by DGPickett on Friday 3rd of June 2011 01:45:04 PM
Old 06-03-2011
Since you have no swap, it is all from mmap()'d pages like libraries but can be any file with any app using mmap()/mmap64(). Page faults are not toxic, sometimes you can find an app that stirs things up unnecessarily and get rid of it, else buy more RAM.

You can make swap after the fact, by creating a big file and assigning it as swap. I would expect it is good for system stability to have some, if not lots. Some like to buy SSD for swap, but I am not sure as it is not churn friendly.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Memory Fault

I am using Unix OpenServer Release 5. When a run a application with user different to "Superuser" the application give me the following error: "Memory Fault - Core Dump". What's that mean? Thank you in advance. Roberto Veras. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robertoveras
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

Data page fault

What causes 'page data fault' or 'data memory protection fault' under HP-UX 11. The server crashes and the shutdownlog reports the above error. For your info, Oracle 8i is running . Appreciate your fast response, Wobitu :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wobitu
2 Replies

3. Programming

memory fault

When I excute a program . It seems to generate an error : memory fault (core dump ) So how can i (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iwbasts
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Page Fault very high

Hi, We are running SUN sparc 5.8, notice frequent "Page Faults" message from our monitor s/w "ServerVantage" coming but no message display in SUN syslog or messages log. Any ideas why or what to check? thanks, Ahmad (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ahmad
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mysql memory fault

I (think I) installed MYSQL on a Red Hat box. When I try to start mysql I get a memory fault error. Any ideas on how to fix this? Here is some info that might help: My distro info $ cat /proc/version Linux version 2.4.21-40.ELsmp (bhcompile@hs20-bc1-7 .build.redhat.com) (gcc version 3.2.3... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wsetchell
0 Replies

6. Linux

page fault handle

For zero-copy communication among the processor, I allocated a pool in the kernel. From user space, it may mmap the virtual memory device into user space i.e 0x80000000. the client may send a message to the server, it may request a buffer, kernel will allocate a block for it and register it into... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2156z
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Page fault in kernel

I have a query (Don't know whether its the right folder to ask) ................. What happens when page fault happens in Kernel ..(as the kernel mode is non-preemptive)... any guesses... Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yash0101
2 Replies

8. Linux

Help with memory fault

We have migrated our application from HP UX to linux. The code is in 4gl and after migration it has started giving Memory fault while running a batch job. The trace shows segmentation fault after a series of recvfrom and sendto(DB read) sigsegv segmentation fault @ 0 0 killed by SIGSEGV The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aimee
2 Replies

9. Solaris

M4000 Memory Fault

Hi Guys and Gals, Does anyone know how to track down a faulty DIMM on the memory board of an M4000? showhardconf tells me which board it is, but was wondering if there was a way to track it down to a DIMM? Thanks in advance Martin (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: callmebob
5 Replies
SWAPON(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 SWAPON(8)

NAME
swapon - specify additional device for paging and swapping SYNOPSIS
swapon -a swapon name ... DESCRIPTION
Swapon is used to specify additional devices on which paging and swapping are to take place. The system begins by swapping and paging on only a single device so that only one disk is required at bootstrap time. Calls to swapon normally occur in the system multi-user initial- ization file /etc/rc making all swap devices available, so that the paging and swapping activity is interleaved across several devices. Normally, the -a argument is given, causing all devices marked as ``sw'' swap devices in /etc/fstab to be made available. The second form gives individual block devices as given in the system swap configuration table. The call makes only this space available to the system for swap allocation. SEE ALSO
swapon(2), init(8) FILES
/dev/[ru][pk]?b normal paging devices BUGS
There is no way to stop paging and swapping on a device. It is therefore not possible to make use of devices which may be dismounted dur- ing system operation. swapon is not implemented in 2.11BSD. 4th Berkeley Distribution November 17, 1996 SWAPON(8)