Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Regex to pull out all words in apostrophes in a string Post 302527434 by ciupinet on Friday 3rd of June 2011 09:36:54 AM
Old 06-03-2011
This line will generate the output you want:
Code:
awk -F "'" '{for (i=2;i<=NF;i+=2) {printf $i" "}; print ""}' file_with_text

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to include a variable between apostrophes within a command

Hi. I'm trying to find some words within my directory and created a text file containing them which is read by my shell script: #!/bin/bash var=`cat words.txt` for i in $var; do echo $i find -type f -print0 | xargs -r0 grep -F '$i' done But it searches "$i" (dollar sign... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guarriman
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regex on first string in a variable.

Hi all, this is driving me nuts. I need to evaluate if a variable in a shell script has a heading s or m character e.g. s92342394 or m9233489 if so then I need to get rid of them. I'm quite familiar with PERL and could do it there in 3 mins but I have not found a decent way to do this in a shell.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Endo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using regex to get part of a string ?

Hi there, i wonder, is it possible to use regular expressions to partially select a string? I have a bunch of server names which look like this server1z-test server2z2 server45z-primary server13z3 I want to extract up to and including the 'z' in the server name, so for example ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

filtering out duplicate substrings, regex string from a string

My input contains a single word lines. From each line data.txt prjtestBlaBlatestBlaBla prjthisBlaBlathisBlaBla prjthatBlaBladpthatBlaBla prjgoodBlaBladpgoodBlaBla prjgood1BlaBla123dpgood1BlaBla123 Desired output --> data_out.txt prjtestBlaBla prjthisBlaBla... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
8 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to find that has a string and pull the record out of that file

Hello Experts !!! Have some trouble finding a solution for the problem mentioned below. Please help. Thanks, Lee. I have set of input files as below File1 MCMCNDD77 20100903:12:36:50 323-2322 BAC,MRP,NWER CKDJKJK838838 234 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: OMLEELA
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with deleting punctuation and apostrophes

Dear All, I have a file which I want to get the list of frequency of each word, ignoring list of stop words and now I have problems which punctuations and " 's ". what I am doing is: sed 's///g' file01.txt > file01-clear.txt cat file01-clear.txt | tr "" ""| tr ' ' '\012' |sort |uniq -c... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string within a file and list common words from the line having the search string

Hi, Need your help for this scripting issue I have. I am not really good at this, so seeking your help. I have a file looking similar to this: Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. How are you? Hello, i am human and name=PQRS. I am good. Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. Good bye. Hello, i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with regex containing one string but not the other

Hi to you all, I'm just struggling with a regex problem and I'm pretty sure that I'm missing sth obvious... :confused: I need a regex to feed my grep in order to find lines that contain one string but not the other. Here's the data example: 2015-04-08 19:04:55,926|xxxxxxxxxx| ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: stresing
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing apostrophes by using awk

Hello All, I would like to ask your kind help regarding the following query: I have this line: awk '$2>5 {print "File: "$1,$2}' I have got this output: File: zzzds 76 File: fd9ffh 58 File: gfh0dg 107 .... Could you please help me how to modify my line to get these outputs with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Padavan
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex to identify unique words in a dictionary database

Hello, I have a dictionary which I am building for the Open Source Community. The data structure is as under HEADWORD=PARTOFSPEECH=ENGLISH MEANING as shown in the example below अ=m=Prefix signifying negation. अँहँ=ind=Interjection expressing disapprobation. अं=int=An interjection... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)