Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting urgent :S dont know why its not working Post 302526523 by methyl on Tuesday 31st of May 2011 07:59:34 PM
Old 05-31-2011
After several posts, please let us know about your envirnment:
Please post:
Code:
echo $SHELL
uname -a

On one of your earlier posts I commented anout the contstruct of a function.
You post:
Quote:
function newrecord () {
This is not correct syntax.
Try:
Code:
newrecord () {

And don't forget the closing brace "}" to end the function. This closing brace is missing from your post.
After correction and taking into account cfajohnon post (if you have a Posix Shell) please post the amended version of your script complete with what you type to execute the script and all output (unedited).

---------- Post updated at 00:59 ---------- Previous update was at 00:54 ----------

@cfajohnson
Quote:
Unix has many shells, but there is only one "Unix shell", i.e. the POSIX shell.
You are joking LOL?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

I dont want this

Im creating a sort of shell, for my cybercafe This will restrict my clients from accessing unwanted materials so im programming a similar bash to 1. to meet my goals 2. to learn new things. im creating it in C, please have a look at the attachement. i wish to avoid having a blank space... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: C|[anti-trust]
6 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

dont understand

i'm trying to learn unix and i posted a question and what i was typing from school. i can't figure it out. how am i supposed to learn , when i get shutdown by an admin. for posting a homework question. doesn't make any sense. its a dumb rule. thanks for helping (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AtomJ22
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

URGENT,URGENT- Need help tape drive installation

Hi, I am trying to attach tape drive to sun V890 running Solaris 9 on it. I have installed HBA(qlogic) in slot 1 of 0-8 slots and booted the system. I do not see HBAin prtdiag output. The tape drive is not attached to HBA. The tape drive I am going to attach is Sony AIT3. 1.How can I make... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriny
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent -Please help me 'mail' option not working

Hi , I have already posted a post regarding this, but i didn't get my problem solve, so some body help me as it was urgent for me, my mail option is not working, when i send a mail, it is strucking in /var/spool/mqueue folder. and i am getting struck there itself, i see below two files are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mars_girish9
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

If not working...pls help:URGENT

Following is d code snipet #!/bin/ksh retVal=`sqlplus -s user/passwd\@oracle_sid <<EOF SET SERVEROUTPUT ON SIZE 100000 DECLARE STATUS_VALUE VARCHAR2(1); BEGIN SELECT temp1 INTO STATUS_VALUE FROM sai; DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(STATUS_VALUE); END; / exit; EOF` echo "Return Value... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sainathdeg
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

i dont know where problem!!

okthanksi solve it :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dream23
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Urgent ssh -1 not working

Hi guys please help with the following. $ ssh -1 -v -l username -o "ForwardX11 yes" server.name netscape OpenSSH_5.8p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8r 8 Feb 2011 debug1: Connecting to proxy-bt-2 port 22. debug1: Connection established. debug1: identity file /home/username/.ssh/identity type -1 debug1:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: llcooljatt
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

URGENT Reading a file and assessing the syntax shell script URGENT

I am trying to write a shell script which takes an input file as an arguement in the terminal e.g. bash shellscriptname.sh input.txt. I would like for the file to be read line by line each time checking if the .txt file contains certain words or letters(validating the syntax). If the line being... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gurdza32
1 Replies
SHCOMP(1)						       Korn shell utilities							 SHCOMP(1)

NAME
shcomp - compile a shell script SYNOPSIS
shcomp [ options ] [infile [outfile]] DESCRIPTION
Unless -D is specified, shcomp takes a shell script, infile, and creates a binary format file, outfile, that ksh can read and execute with the same effect as the original script. Since aliases are processed as the script is read, alias definitions whose value requires variable expansion will not work correctly. If -D is specified, all double quoted strings that are preceded by $ are output. These are the messages that need to be translated to locale specific versions for internationalization. If outfile is omitted, then the results will be written to standard output. If infile is also omitted, the shell script will be read from standard input. OPTIONS
[D dictionary] Generate a list of strings that need to be placed in a message catalog for internationalization. [n noexec] Displays warn- ing messages for obsolete or non-conforming constructs. [v verbose] Displays input from infile onto standard error as it reads it. EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. SEE ALSO
ksh(1) IMPLEMENTATION
version shcomp (AT&T Research) 2003-03-02 author David Korn <dgk@research.att.com> copyright Copyright (c) 1982-2010 AT&T Intellectual Property license http://www.opensource.org/licenses/cpl1.0.txt 2003-03-02 SHCOMP(1)