Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting urgent :S dont know why its not working Post 302526437 by bassmasta1 on Tuesday 31st of May 2011 01:39:03 PM
Old 05-31-2011
urgent :S dont know why its not working

hello, i am trying to put users2 information to file appraisalrecord, however it is not working and i tried everything. overall, i just want to show that when they enter the user number it will verify in the file to see does that user number exist, if yes they have to a new user number if no they continue on and the user number is put in the appraisalrecord. hope you understand what im saying. im using UNIX shell as well.
Code:
function newrecord () {
clear
read -p "please enter a user number: " users2

output=$(grep "$users2" appraisalrecord)
output1=$(echo $users2 | tr -dc '[:digit:]')
if [[ -n "$output" ]]; then
echo -e "The ID has already been taken\n"
sleep 2
newrecord
fi
if [[ $users2 = $output1 ]]; then
echo -e "$users2 has been accepted\n"
else
echo -e "The input must be a numerical number\n"
        sleep 2
        newrecord
echo $users2 >> appraisalrecord
fi

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags, and a more descriptive subject title for threads.

Last edited by Scott; 05-31-2011 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Code tags

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

I dont want this

Im creating a sort of shell, for my cybercafe This will restrict my clients from accessing unwanted materials so im programming a similar bash to 1. to meet my goals 2. to learn new things. im creating it in C, please have a look at the attachement. i wish to avoid having a blank space... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: C|[anti-trust]
6 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

dont understand

i'm trying to learn unix and i posted a question and what i was typing from school. i can't figure it out. how am i supposed to learn , when i get shutdown by an admin. for posting a homework question. doesn't make any sense. its a dumb rule. thanks for helping (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AtomJ22
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

URGENT,URGENT- Need help tape drive installation

Hi, I am trying to attach tape drive to sun V890 running Solaris 9 on it. I have installed HBA(qlogic) in slot 1 of 0-8 slots and booted the system. I do not see HBAin prtdiag output. The tape drive is not attached to HBA. The tape drive I am going to attach is Sony AIT3. 1.How can I make... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriny
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent -Please help me 'mail' option not working

Hi , I have already posted a post regarding this, but i didn't get my problem solve, so some body help me as it was urgent for me, my mail option is not working, when i send a mail, it is strucking in /var/spool/mqueue folder. and i am getting struck there itself, i see below two files are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mars_girish9
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

If not working...pls help:URGENT

Following is d code snipet #!/bin/ksh retVal=`sqlplus -s user/passwd\@oracle_sid <<EOF SET SERVEROUTPUT ON SIZE 100000 DECLARE STATUS_VALUE VARCHAR2(1); BEGIN SELECT temp1 INTO STATUS_VALUE FROM sai; DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(STATUS_VALUE); END; / exit; EOF` echo "Return Value... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sainathdeg
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

i dont know where problem!!

okthanksi solve it :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dream23
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Urgent ssh -1 not working

Hi guys please help with the following. $ ssh -1 -v -l username -o "ForwardX11 yes" server.name netscape OpenSSH_5.8p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8r 8 Feb 2011 debug1: Connecting to proxy-bt-2 port 22. debug1: Connection established. debug1: identity file /home/username/.ssh/identity type -1 debug1:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: llcooljatt
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

URGENT Reading a file and assessing the syntax shell script URGENT

I am trying to write a shell script which takes an input file as an arguement in the terminal e.g. bash shellscriptname.sh input.txt. I would like for the file to be read line by line each time checking if the .txt file contains certain words or letters(validating the syntax). If the line being... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gurdza32
1 Replies
LKSH(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   LKSH(1)

NAME
lksh -- Legacy Korn shell built on mksh SYNOPSIS
lksh [-+abCefhiklmnprUuvXx] [-+o opt] [-c string | -s | file [args ...]] DESCRIPTION
lksh is a command interpreter intended exclusively for running legacy shell scripts. It is built on mksh; refer to its manual page for details on the scripting language. It is recommended to port scripts to mksh instead of relying on legacy or idiotic POSIX-mandated behav- iour, since the MirBSD Korn Shell scripting language is much more consistent. LEGACY MODE
lksh has the following differences from mksh: o lksh is not suitable for use as /bin/sh. o There is no explicit support for interactive use, nor any command line editing or history code. Hence, lksh is not suitable as a user's login shell, either; use mksh instead. o The KSH_VERSION string identifies lksh as ``LEGACY KSH'' instead of ``MIRBSD KSH''. o lksh only offers the traditional ten file descriptors to scripts. o lksh uses POSIX arithmetics, which has quite a few implications: The data type for arithmetics is the host ISO C long data type. Signed integer wraparound is Undefined Behaviour. The sign of the result of a modulo operation with at least one negative operand is unspeci- fied. Shift operations on negative numbers are unspecified. Division of the largest negative number by -1 is Undefined Behaviour. The compiler is permitted to delete all data and crash the system if Undefined Behaviour occurs. o The rotation arithmetic operators are not available. o The shift arithmetic operators take all bits of the second operand into account; if they exceed permitted precision, the result is unspecified. o The GNU bash extension &> to redirect stdout and stderr in one go is not parsed. o The mksh command line option -T is not available. o Unless set -o posix is active, lksh always uses traditional mode for constructs like: $ set -- $(getopt ab:c "$@") $ echo $? POSIX mandates this to show 0, but traditional mode passes through the errorlevel from the getopt(1) command. o lksh, unlike AT&T UNIX ksh, does not keep file descriptors > 2 private. SEE ALSO
mksh(1) https://www.mirbsd.org/mksh.htm https://www.mirbsd.org/ksh-chan.htm CAVEATS
lksh tries to make a cross between a legacy bourne/posix compatibl-ish shell and a legacy pdksh-alike but ``legacy'' is not exactly speci- fied. The set built-in command does not have all options one would expect from a full-blown mksh or pdksh. Talk to the MirOS development team using the mailing list at <miros-mksh@mirbsd.org> or the #!/bin/mksh (or #ksh) IRC channel at irc.freenode.net (Port 6697 SSL, 6667 unencrypted) if you need any further quirks or assistance, and consider migrating your legacy scripts to work with mksh instead of requiring lksh. MirBSD May 2, 2013 MirBSD