Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading input record from inside nawk Post 302526355 by Shahul on Tuesday 31st of May 2011 09:49:27 AM
Old 05-31-2011
Cool...worked perfectly...would you please also explain bit on for loop part how does it work....which is bit confusing me.........Smilie

Anyway...Thanks a lot..

Thanks
SHa

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific contents from 1 input files and appending it to another input file

Hi guys, I am new to AWK and unix scripting. Please see below my problem and let me know if anyone you can help. I have 2 input files (example given below) Input file 2 is a standard file (it will not change) and we have to get the name (second column after comma) from it and append it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sksahu
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

case command inside awk/nawk

well I found lot of topics about awk..about if command in awk.. but I had to implement this: nawk -F"|" ' $47 ~ /0R0011/ { print > ("/home/user/M/MC.tmp" )} $47 ~ /0R0012/ { print > ("/home/user/M/DuSI.tmp" )} $47 ~ /0R0014/ { print > ("/home/user/M/FF.tmp" )} $47 ~ /0R0018/ { print >... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulaziz
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop reading a record

Hi, I am trying to create a while loop that will do the following: INFILE= list of new records that need to be added after last previous record while read record do find the last record processed create list of new records output to a file echo "$record">> $NEWFILE done ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shortyball24
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using cp command inside nawk

Hello I have facing issue while using cp command inside nawk block. #!/bin/ksh my_name=$1 nawk -v my_name1=$my_name 'BEGIN { n = split(my_name1,names,":"); for (i=1;i<=n;i++) { print names; cpcmd = "cp " /tmp/test.txt" " ./sample system(cpcmd) } exit }' exit 0 i'am getting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: piscean_n
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in reading a record from the file

Hi Guys, I need to check whether the last column is RP, If so, then i have to second column and pass it to a select statement as sonid and fetch the value to a variable and run it. This has to be done till the last column is RW. value Fatherid sonid topid ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a file (one record) in a SHL script

I am trying to read a file in a shl script (only one record) and stored in a variable file_number I got the following read -u $BANNER_HOME/xxxxxxx/misc/EFTSQL.dat file_number file_number2 = $file_number + 1 echo $file_number2 > $BANNER_HOME/xxxxxx/misc/EFTSQL.dat EOF It is not working... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rechever
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading only first record from the multipe directories

Hi All, I have a requirement, I had a parent directory Land under that we have sub directories Yesterday, Today and Tommorrow And we have a file test.txt under the above directories Yesterday, Today and Tommorrow The data in the file test.txt under Yesterday folder is ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: somu_june
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update file record inside read loop

Hi, I am reading file records inside a while loop, and want to update the record when certain condition is met. How can I update a file while being read? I want to avoid using temporary files, copy, rename, ... while IFS=',' read -r f1 f2 do function(f1,f2) if then <add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ysrini
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute variable inside nawk

Hi, I need to set "prd" in the below command to a unix variable nawk '/^#/ {next} FNR==NR {prd;next} !($0 in prd)' So, this is what i did fname=prd // unix shell variable nawk -v fname=$fname '/^#/ {next} FNR==NR {fname;next} !($0 in fname)'But the value of fname i.e "prd" is not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to avoid arguments inside Nawk command?

Hi, Here is my command print $2 was meant to select the second column however, it is getting substituted with the second argument that was passed to the script. Can you please tell me how can I resolve this ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
6 Replies
INET(3N)																  INET(3N)

NAME
inet_addr, inet_network, inet_ntoa, inet_makeaddr, inet_lnaof, inet_netof - Internet address manipulation routines SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/socket.h> #include <netinet/in.h> #include <arpa/inet.h> unsigned long inet_addr(cp) char *cp; unsigned long inet_network(cp) char *cp; char *inet_ntoa(in) struct in_addr in; struct in_addr inet_makeaddr(net, lna) long net, lna; long inet_lnaof(in) struct in_addr in; long inet_netof(in) struct in_addr in; DESCRIPTION
The routines inet_addr and inet_network each interpret character strings representing numbers expressed in the Internet standard "." nota- tion, returning numbers suitable for use as Internet addresses and Internet network numbers, respectively. The routine inet_ntoa takes an Internet address and returns an ASCII string representing the address in "." notation. The routine inet_makeaddr takes an Internet net- work number and a local network address and constructs an Internet address from it. The routines inet_netof and inet_lnaof break apart Internet host addresses, returning the network number and local network address part, respectively. All Internet address are returned in network order (bytes ordered from left to right). All network numbers and local address parts are returned as machine format integer values. INTERNET ADDRESSES
Values specified using the "." notation take one of the following forms: a.b.c.d a.b.c a.b a When four parts are specified, each is interpreted as a byte of data and assigned, from left to right, to the four bytes of an Internet address. Note that when an Internet address is viewed as a 32-bit integer quantity on the VAX the bytes referred to above appear as "d.c.b.a". That is, VAX bytes are ordered from right to left. When a three part address is specified, the last part is interpreted as a 16-bit quantity and placed in the right most two bytes of the network address. This makes the three part address format convenient for specifying Class B network addresses as "128.net.host". When a two part address is supplied, the last part is interpreted as a 24-bit quantity and placed in the right most three bytes of the net- work address. This makes the two part address format convenient for specifying Class A network addresses as "net.host". When only one part is given, the value is stored directly in the network address without any byte rearrangement. All numbers supplied as "parts" in a "." notation may be decimal, octal, or hexadecimal, as specified in the C language (i.e., a leading 0x or 0X implies hexadecimal; otherwise, a leading 0 implies octal; otherwise, the number is interpreted as decimal). SEE ALSO
gethostbyname(3N), getnetent(3N), hosts(5), networks(5), DIAGNOSTICS
The value -1 is returned by inet_addr and inet_network for malformed requests. BUGS
The problem of host byte ordering versus network byte ordering is confusing. A simple way to specify Class C network addresses in a manner similar to that for Class B and Class A is needed. The string returned by inet_ntoa resides in a static memory area. Inet_addr should return a struct in_addr. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution May 27, 1986 INET(3N)