Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Terminate a process using shell script Post 302526008 by kumaran_5555 on Monday 30th of May 2011 04:10:05 AM
Old 05-30-2011
I have small doubt here about the logic. If we check for the output file for specific flag like "==DONE WRITING OUTPUT==" It may not be possible to ensure that the process.sh has run only once.

Because if process.sh is running little faster than your shell script, it might add few more rows after starting second run. It is totally situation dependent and it shouldn't be done by this way.

Please post the process.sh script, may be we could find a work around for this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminate session on completing script

Hai all.. How do i terminate my telnet session automatically when my java applicatiion exits. i have a file run which executes my java application and takes care of all class and library path settings prior to the execution. I would like to terminate my session when my application exits. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepsteptom
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

terminate the process

In my system , there are a system user "cronusr" , it is mainly to run the crontab job in the database .Sometimes the cronjob process will be failure ( due to some reason ) so that many cronusr process are in the system , it affect other process in the system , I want to have a script that can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

terminate process

I want to have a script to terminate the system process that generated by user oracle_usr and have already processed for over 10 minutes , could suggest the script ? thx (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminate process

We have a system user "oracle_usr" always run some process in the system , but sometimes , these processes will not stop automatically until we terminate the process , can suggest the method how to terminate the process that is run by "oracle_usr" and run over 10 minutes ? thx (5 Replies)
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Interrupt signal Control C takes too long to terminate a process

I have a process to terminate, and when keying Control C/ kill -int , it takes 15 minutes to half an hour to terminate the process. I've tried using kill -2, or keying control c twice, however the process seem to be killed abruptly, without writing into the log file. So the only way in order to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: paqui
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to terminate ssh connection without terminating script

Hi all, I connect with SSH connection to remote machine in the script and ı want to logout at half of the script then continue to script. If ı write exit in the script it terminates script not SSH connection. How can i do that please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fozay
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Kill Process(number of process) Unix/Solaris

Hi Experts, we do have a shell script for Unix Solaris, which will kill all the process manullay, it used to work in my previous env, but now it is throwing this error.. could some one please help me to resolve it This is how we execute the script (and this is the requirement) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyvic
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange behaviour script terminate before complete execution

I'm working on a script to make backup of various folder located on various host using different OS. I got a strange behaviour because the script donět process all lines of a configuration file, the script execute only one loop even the input file have 6 lines: This is the script: #!/bin/bash... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: |UVI|
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run script every minute and terminate after specified number of executions

when it runs and look at my acron.log file it generates an error as below /tmp/prog.sh: line 4: (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: azherkn3
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminate shell script after a specified time

I have a shell script that checks a file state.txt, deletes fit.bin if state.txt is empty. I cron this at 2am, I will want the script to stop by 8am irrespective of the value of state.txt, any ideas? #!/usr/bin/ksh while true; do if ] ; then echo else rm ~/fit.bin exit ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aydj
8 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)