Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Determining whether given string is path or not Post 302525964 by Peasant on Monday 30th of May 2011 12:26:12 AM
Old 05-30-2011
You can use test to confirm that path exists and is a directory.

Code:
test -d "/path/a valid/path" && printf "A directory \n" || printf "Not a directory \n"

Check man test for further test options.
This User Gave Thanks to Peasant For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determining absolute PATH within KSH script

Hey everyone, I'd like to determine the absolute path of where a script resides from within the same script. For example, I have a script - /tmp/myscript. Regardless of how that script is call - '/tmp/myscript', 'cd /tmp;./myscript', '. /tmp/myscript' - I'd like to be able to determine - from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsatch
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determining directory path

Hello, I have a script where I get the full directory path of the script being executed: BASE=$0 echo "BASE:" $BASE The output looks like this: BASE: /webapps/appsdev/ACURA/rlz/oses3.sh I'd like to truncate the shell name, leaving just the directory path. The directory path can be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cwalsek
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How To Replace A String In File With A String Containing Windows File Path

Hi, I have a file with the following contents # Lines that start with a # are comments. # # Calling TOAD like this will perform a comparison from command line : # # "C:\Program Files\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 9.6\toad.exe" -c... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove path string from file (string contains "/")

This is the way sed -i 's/home/$USER/.config/hello_there//g' /home/$USER/.gnomerc But, as far as I saw you cannot add any "/" in the string you want to remove.... So, what should I do in order to remove this path (which contains "/") ?:confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract partial string from path.

Hi all, i've a string $DIR=/u/user/NDE/TEST_LOGS/20110622_000005_TEST_11_HD_120/HD/TEST_11_HD_120/hd-12 i need to extract string from 2011.... i.e i need it as 20110622_000005_TEST_11_HD_120 as matched string, and in turn i need to split values 20110622_000005_TEST_11_HD_120 into two.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asak
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

if PATH contains a certain string problem!

Hi I am using MKS Toolkit c shell. I want to basically check if my PATH variable already contains a certain path directory so I tried this (it didnt work!): if: Expression Syntax if ( echo $path |grep -c c:/PROGRA~1/blah/blah ) then please help me get this little statement to work. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vas28r13
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatically determining directory path for scripts and programs

I have some C++ code in the following directory structure /home/chrisd/tatsh/trunk/hstmy/ ├── baseLib ├── bin │ ├── awk │ ├── bash │ ├── diag │ ├── ksh │ │ └── TAG201011 │ ├── old │ ├── perl │ ├── prog │ ├── py │ └── tcsh ├── docs ├── fortran ├── others... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Efficient method of determining if a string is in a file.

Hi, I was hoping someone could suggest an alternative to code I currently have as mine takes up far too much processor time and it to slow. The situation: I have a programme that runs on some files just before they are zipped up and archived, the program appends a one line summary of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RECrerar
4 Replies

9. Linux

Find a string in a path

Hi All, I am trying to find a particular string in a path, but able to do so. I tried through grep command but its taking so long time which is not appropriate. e.g: Path : /oct/oracle/apps/OMEC/appl/xxaterp/1.0/reports/US/ Suppose in this path we have 10 .rdf file and I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vikash163
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determining length of string

I have this script which is very easy: file=`echo 01114` echo $file 01114 then I ran this if ; then echo "yes";fi it returned yes even though there are only 5 digits there So then I tried file=`echo abcd` echo $file abcd if ]; then echo "yes";fi if ]; then echo "yes";fi It... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
2 Replies
DPNS_ACCESS(3)						      DPNS Library Functions						    DPNS_ACCESS(3)

NAME
dpns_access - check existence/accessibility of a file/directory SYNOPSIS
Under Unix: #include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> #include "dpns_api.h" Under Windows/NT: #include <sys/types.h> #define R_OK 4 #define W_OK 2 #define X_OK 1 #define F_OK 0 #include "dpns_api.h" int dpns_access (const char *path, int amode); DESCRIPTION
dpns_access checks in the name server database the existence or the accessibility of the file/directory path according to the bit pattern in amode using the real user ID. path specifies the logical pathname relative to the current DPNS directory or the full DPNS pathname. amode the bit pattern is built by an OR of the constants defined in <unistd.h> under Unix or to be explicitly defined under Windows/NT: R_OK test for read permission W_OK test for write permission X_OK test for search/execute permission F_OK test for existence of the directory/file. RETURN VALUE
This routine returns 0 if the operation was successful or -1 if the operation failed. In the latter case, serrno is set appropriately. ERRORS
ENOENT The named file/directory does not exist or is a dangling symbolic link. EACCES Search permission is denied on a component of the path prefix or specified access to the file itself is denied. EFAULT path is a NULL pointer. ENOTDIR A component of path prefix is not a directory. EINVAL amode is invalid. ENAMETOOLONG The length of path exceeds CA_MAXPATHLEN or the length of a path component exceeds CA_MAXNAMELEN. SENOSHOST Host unknown. SENOSSERV Service unknown. SECOMERR Communication error. ENSNACT Name server is not running or is being shutdown. SEE ALSO
Castor_limits(4), dpns_chdir(3), dpns_chmod(3), dpns_stat(3), dpns_statg(3) AUTHOR
LCG Grid Deployment Team DPNS
$Date: 2011-02-18 08:03:13 +0100 (Fri, 18 Feb 2011) $ DPNS_ACCESS(3)