Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: en0 fail to up.
Operating Systems AIX en0 fail to up. Post 302525800 by bakunin on Saturday 28th of May 2011 02:23:49 PM
Old 05-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingcross
i did lsps -a to see the paging space but nothing look full.
zxmaus does have a point here: the information you get when issuing "lsps -a" comes from "/etc/filesystems" and the ODM. If you are lacking /dev/hd6 you would have no way of accessing your configured paging space, regardless of what "lsps" is telling you - every access to the swap is done via the device and if this is missing it is like the whole device would be missing.

I suggest you reboot the system (this runs "cfgmgr" at the most thorough level) and/or take other measures to correct this problem first - it might well be that your problem with "ifconfig" goes away once this is done.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mail fail

I am using the shell script file to send mail by "mailx". I do this by cron job, there is no error found. But it is fail, any suggest to me? How can I resend it automatically? Is there any resend logic by using the mailx? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adela
3 Replies

2. AIX

Network problem en0 - en1 !!!

HI , I am actually having a network problem with my p610 - AIX 5.2 ML7 . I have two integrated network card en0 and en1 ..en0 with ip 10.10.0.191 and en1 10.10.0.192. When i removed the network cable from en0 , i can't continue to ping en1(10.10.0.192) correctly. It is behaving as if en0 is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: johhny_bravo
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename fail

I've a lot of file with an hyphen on filename, so I use rename for remove him ad substitute with an underscore but it fails $ rename 's/\-/\_/' * Unknown option: _ Unknown option: i Unknown option: r Unknown option: e Unknown option: e Unknown option: _ Unknown option: g Unknown... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cv313x
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

fail on comparison

Hi Am having 2 files. I have one data file. before inserting in to the table am taking cout of the data file and store as data 1. After insert in to the table and am taking the count from the table and store as data2. If i try to compare those values If then echo "data match"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobprabhu
5 Replies

5. HP-UX

hpux 11.31 vgimport fail

i'm trying to vgimport the map file from vgexport -p -v -s -m to fail over node (adoptive node in service guard). root@noe04:/etc/cmcluster/icasprd$ vgimport -s -m gicasprd.110810.map /dev/vgicasprd vgimport: Volume group "/dev/vgicasprd" already exists in the "/etc/lvmtab" file. the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why does my test fail ??

Hello, I am stuck... i dunno why does my test fail... any idea ? #!/bin/bash dos2unix info.txt Distor=Distributeur LINE=$(cat info.txt | sed -n 1p) echo $LINE echo $Distor echo "" echo "123-$LINE-123" echo "123-$Distor-123" if ; then LINE2=$(cat info.txt | sed -n 2p) echo $Distor... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: patx
14 Replies

7. Linux

Telnet fail

Hi, I try to telnet to server: # telnet xx.xxx.1.72 1521 Trying xx.xxx.1.72... telnet: connect to address xx.xxx.1.72: Connection refused telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused iptables is off: # service iptables status Firewall is stopped. # And I have edit... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehrdad68
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Cluster form fail

why does my cluster form but fail after a few minutes, or why do my multicast communications stop working after a short amount of time? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gema.utama
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Untar fail

Hi Team, I have a file named as follows: aaa.tar.gz Now I need to verify if the untar fails, then the script has to send a mail. In order to check this condition, I need a tar.gz file which is unable to untar it. Can anyone help me to create a file which I will be able to unzip successfully... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
2 Replies

10. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Fail to register

After inputted all required fields in registration page, the below message is shown and cannot go on. A required field called Custom Date & Time Formats is missing or has an invalid value. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unregistered
2 Replies
swapon(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 swapon(8)

NAME
swapon - Specifies additional disk partitions for paging and swapping SYNOPSIS
/sbin/swapon [-asv] [-s special-device] [-v special-device] DESCRIPTION
The swapon command is used to specify additional disk partitions for paging and swapping. A paging partition is a block special device. ( Tru64 UNIX does not currently support paging and swapping to a regular file. All paging and swapping areas must be block special devices.) The swapon command uses a priority default of 4 for block special devices. Calls to swapon normally occur in the system multiuser state initialization. When you make more swap space available with the command, the additional swap space is available until the system is rebooted. To make additional swap space permanent, you must specify the swap device entry in the /etc/sysconfigtab file. The swapon command flags can override the partition specifications in the /etc/sysconfigtab file. You can use Logical Storage Manager (LSM) volumes for additional swap space. For high system availability, you can mirror the LSM volumes. The Logical Storage Manager manual describes how to use the command to configure an LSM mirrored volume as additional swap space. There are two strategies for swap space allocation: immediate mode and deferred or over-commitment mode. The two strategies differ in the point in time at which swap space is allocated. If immediate mode is used, swap space is allocated when modifiable virtual address space is created. If deferred mode is used, swap space is not allocated until the system needs to write a modified virtual page to swap space. Immediate mode is the default swap space allocation strategy. Immediate mode is more conservative than deferred mode because each modifiable virtual page is assigned a page of swap space when it is created. If you use the immediate mode of swap space allocation, you must allocate a swap space that is at least as large as the total amount of modifiable virtual address space that will be created on your system. Immediate mode requires significantly more swap space than deferred mode because it guarantees that there will be enough swap space if every modifiable virtual page is modified. If you use the deferred mode of swap space allocation, you must estimate the total amount of virtual address space that will be both cre- ated and modified, and compare that total amount with the size of your system's physical memory. If this total amount is greater than the size of physical memory, the swap space must be large enough to hold the modified virtual pages that do not fit into your physical memory. If your system's workload is complex and you are unable to estimate the appropriate amount of swap space by using this mode, you should first use the default amount of swap space and adjust the swap space as needed. To determine which swap space allocation mode is being used, check the setting of the vm-swap-eager parameter in /etc/sysconfigtab. If it is either not specified or set to 1, the system uses immediate swap mode. If it is set to 0 (zero), the system uses deferred mode. FLAGS
Installs all paging partitions specified in the /etc/sysconfigtab file. Displays swap space utilization. For each swap partition, this flag displays the total amount of allocated swap space, the amount of swap space that is being used, and the amount of free swap space. Generates verbose output. NOTES
There is no way to stop paging and swapping on a partition. It is therefore not possible to use swap devices that can be dismounted during system operation. Swap space is also used during a system crash dump. In planning your swap space allocation you should also consider your crash dump requirements. See the System Administration for information on crash dumps. EXAMPLES
The following example shows a swap device entry in an /etc/sysconfigtab file: vm: swapdevice=/dev/disk/dsk0b,/dev/disk/dsk1b The following command adds the /dev/disk/dsk0b block device file as swap space: swapon /dev/disk/dsk0b ERRORS
You may receive the following messages when using the swapon command: special-device or an overlapping partition is open. Quitting... This message indicates that you tried to add a partition as a swap device that is actively in use by UFS, AdvFS, swap, or LSM. spe- cial-device is marked in use for fstype in the disklabel. If you continue with the operation you can possibly destroy existing data. CONTINUE? [y/n] This message indicates that you tried to use a partition as a swap device that is not currently in active use but is marked for use in the disk label's partition map. For example, the partition may be part of an LSM volume or an AdvFS domain. If you know that the partition you specified to swapon does not contain any data, you can choose to override the warning. In this case, the fstype in the disk label will be modified to swap. Note that you can use the disklabel -s command to set the fstype in the disk label to unused for partitions that do not contain any valid data. See disklabel(8) for more information. Partition(s) which overlap special-device are marked in use. If you continue with the operation you can possibly destroy existing data. CONTINUE? [y/n] This message indicates that the partition you specified is not marked for use, but other, overlapping partitions on the disk are marked for use. If you override this warning, the fstype in the disk's label will be modified. The partition you specified to swapon will be marked as in use as a swap device and all overlapping partitions will be marked UNUSED. The following examples illustrate these messages: Adding a partition that is marked for use as a swap device: # /usr/sbin/swapon /dev/disk/dsk11g /dev/disk/dsk11g disk is marked in use for LSMpubl in the disklabel. If you continue with the operation you can possibly destroy existing data. CONTINUE? [y/n] Partition g of disk dsk11 is part of a disk marked for use by LSM. If LSM is not actively using this partition and the partition does not contain any data, you may want to override this warning, by answering y. In this case, partition g will be marked as swap in the disk label. Adding a partition as a swap device whose overlapping partitions are marked for use: # /usr/sbin/swapon /dev/disk/dsk11c Partition(s) which overlap /dev/disk/dsk11c are marked in use. If you continue with the operation you can possibly destroy existing data. CONTINUE? [y/n] If you answer yes, partition c on disk dsk11 will be marked swap in the disk label and all partitions that overlap c will be marked UNUSED. Adding a partition that is currently in use as a swap device: # /usr/sbin/swapon /dev/disk/dsk11g /dev/disk/dsk11g or an overlapping partition is open. Quitting... Adding a partition that does not have a disk label as a swap device: # /usr/sbin/swapon /dev/disk/dsk11c The disklabel for /dev/disk/dsk11c does not exist or is corrupted. Quitting... See disklabel(8) for information on installing a disk label on a disk. FILES
Specifies the command path. Specifies information about file systems and swap devices. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: swapon(2), savecore(8) System Administration delim off swapon(8)