Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Terminate a process using shell script Post 302525763 by dreamgirl314 on Saturday 28th of May 2011 05:47:18 AM
Old 05-28-2011
Hi,
Thank you for the answer, but the problem is that I should ensure that process.sh is executed only once and only one time value should be entered in the tempfile.(Else it runs infinitely writing values to the tempfile). If I run using

./process.sh > tempfile &
sleep 5
kill -9 $!

There is no way to be determine if write has happened atleast once. Also I cannot determine how long I should wait.

Kindly help me

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminate session on completing script

Hai all.. How do i terminate my telnet session automatically when my java applicatiion exits. i have a file run which executes my java application and takes care of all class and library path settings prior to the execution. I would like to terminate my session when my application exits. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepsteptom
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

terminate the process

In my system , there are a system user "cronusr" , it is mainly to run the crontab job in the database .Sometimes the cronjob process will be failure ( due to some reason ) so that many cronusr process are in the system , it affect other process in the system , I want to have a script that can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

terminate process

I want to have a script to terminate the system process that generated by user oracle_usr and have already processed for over 10 minutes , could suggest the script ? thx (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminate process

We have a system user "oracle_usr" always run some process in the system , but sometimes , these processes will not stop automatically until we terminate the process , can suggest the method how to terminate the process that is run by "oracle_usr" and run over 10 minutes ? thx (5 Replies)
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Interrupt signal Control C takes too long to terminate a process

I have a process to terminate, and when keying Control C/ kill -int , it takes 15 minutes to half an hour to terminate the process. I've tried using kill -2, or keying control c twice, however the process seem to be killed abruptly, without writing into the log file. So the only way in order to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: paqui
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to terminate ssh connection without terminating script

Hi all, I connect with SSH connection to remote machine in the script and ı want to logout at half of the script then continue to script. If ı write exit in the script it terminates script not SSH connection. How can i do that please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fozay
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Kill Process(number of process) Unix/Solaris

Hi Experts, we do have a shell script for Unix Solaris, which will kill all the process manullay, it used to work in my previous env, but now it is throwing this error.. could some one please help me to resolve it This is how we execute the script (and this is the requirement) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyvic
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange behaviour script terminate before complete execution

I'm working on a script to make backup of various folder located on various host using different OS. I got a strange behaviour because the script donět process all lines of a configuration file, the script execute only one loop even the input file have 6 lines: This is the script: #!/bin/bash... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: |UVI|
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run script every minute and terminate after specified number of executions

when it runs and look at my acron.log file it generates an error as below /tmp/prog.sh: line 4: (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: azherkn3
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminate shell script after a specified time

I have a shell script that checks a file state.txt, deletes fit.bin if state.txt is empty. I cron this at 2am, I will want the script to stop by 8am irrespective of the value of state.txt, any ideas? #!/usr/bin/ksh while true; do if ] ; then echo else rm ~/fit.bin exit ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aydj
8 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)