Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Difference between /opt and /usr/local. Post 302525679 by rama krishna on Friday 27th of May 2011 12:18:39 PM
Old 05-27-2011
Thanks vbe.

But why do we install some app in /usr/local/

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

/usr/bin/ld: warning: libgfortran.so.1, needed by /opt/openmpi/lib/libmpi_f90.so, may

hello, i get these warnings on make(ing) /usr/bin/ld: warning: libgfortran.so.1, needed by /opt/openmpi/lib/libmpi_f90.so, may conflict with libgfortran.so.3 /usr/bin/ld: warning: libgfortran.so.1, needed by /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux6E/4.3.2/../../../liblapack.a, may conflict with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreekar
1 Replies

2. BSD

configure /usr/local/etc/be-agent.cfg

hi Howto configure Ralus at /usr/local/etc/be-agent.cfg on freeBSD 7.0 for Backup Exec 9.1? I've tried the following: # cat /usr/local/etc/be-agent.cfg name bsd.domain export / as root export /usr as usr export /var as var export /tmp as tmp force_address 10.10.1.50 tell... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Questions about /usr/local/bin & scripts.

Hi gentlemen. For what intended is the directory /usr/local/bin? In this directory are some script. I don't understand how these scripts being in this directory are started. Each time after registration of the user occurs start of these scripts. These scripts start applications. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/usr/local/lib is not searched by ld-linux.so by default?

it seems that /usr/local/lib is not searched by ld-linux.so by default in fedora14. If so, why some software put its lib files in /usr/local/lib? eg: glib and gtk+. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
6 Replies

5. AIX

/usr/local/bin/cvs: Not found

I can able to access /usr/local/bin/cvs in the terminal (AIX 6.1 Box). but i am getting the "/usr/local/bin/cvs: Not found " when i call it from the script. please some one assist me what maybe problem (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hifirockz
6 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

sudo chown -R `whoami` /usr/local

I was following a tutorial on installing Homebrew and I changed the ownership of /usr/local/ to me. Now McAfee Security won't start This is the exact line I typed: sudo chown -R `whoami` /usr/local Then I tried to fix it with: sudo chown -R root /usr/local I still can't start mcafee. It say... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chancho
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

/usr/local/bin/expr function not working

Legends, I am not able to set "expr" function in ksh script. Below is the sample code i used, and output is as "Syntax error" Please help me to come out of it. OUTPUT (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
9 Replies

8. Fedora

Clueless re Java: /opt vs. /usr/local

It seems this is a oft debated item, that's over my head. So here's what I've got: Java 7 set up at /opt/ but I really want it at /usr/local... What have I done? Have: Debian 7 (whezzy) with gnome, so what do I do to set things back where it should be? I guess this is a hot topic... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sas
3 Replies

9. BSD

FreeBSD: /usr/bin/ld not looking in /usr/local/lib

I'm not sure if this is the default behavior for the ld command, but it does not seem to be looking in /usr/local/lib for shared libraries. I was trying to compile the latest version of Kanatest from svn. The autorgen.sh script seems to exit without too much trouble: $ ./autogen.sh checking... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntumDeluge
2 Replies

10. Programming

[MSYS2/GCC-TDM] Compiler not finding headers in /usr/local/include

I hope it's okay to post this here. I'm working on Windows computer but using the Unix-like environment MSYS2 (https://sourceforge.net/projects/msys2). My problem is that I can't get the compiler to find headers located in /usr/local/include. I am trying to compile libpng which wants the header... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AntumDeluge
1 Replies
KERNEL-INSTALL(8)						  kernel-install						 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)

NAME
kernel-install - Add and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot SYNOPSIS
kernel-install COMMAND KERNEL-VERSION [KERNEL-IMAGE] DESCRIPTION
kernel-install is used to install and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot. kernel-install will execute the files located in the directory /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/ and the local administration directory /etc/kernel/install.d/. All files are collectively sorted and executed in lexical order, regardless of the directory in which they live. However, files with identical filenames replace each other. Files in /etc/kernel/install.d/ take precedence over files with the same name in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/. This can be used to override a system-supplied executables with a local file if needed; a symbolic link in /etc/kernel/install.d/ with the same name as an executable in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/, pointing to /dev/null, disables the executable entirely. Executables must have the extension ".install"; other extensions are ignored. COMMANDS
The following commands are understood: add KERNEL-VERSION KERNEL-IMAGE kernel-install creates the directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ and calls every executable /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments add KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ The kernel-install plugin 50-depmod.install runs depmod for the KERNEL-VERSION. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install copies KERNEL-IMAGE to /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/linux. It also creates a boot loader entry according to the boot loader specification in /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. The title of the entry is the PRETTY_NAME parameter specified in /etc/os-release, or "Linux KERNEL-VERSION", if unset. If the file initrd is found next to the linux file, the initrd will be added to the configuration. remove KERNEL-VERSION Calls every executable /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments remove KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ kernel-install removes the entire directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ afterwards. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install removes the file /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. EXIT STATUS
If every executable returns with 0, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. FILES
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install Drop-in files which are executed by kernel-install. /etc/kernel/cmdline /proc/cmdline The content of the file /etc/kernel/cmdline specifies the kernel command line to use. If that file does not exist, /proc/cmdline is used. /etc/machine-id The content of the file specifies the machine identification MACHINE-ID. /etc/os-release The content of the file specifies the operating system title PRETTY_NAME. SEE ALSO
machine-id(5), os-release(5), Boot loader specification[1] NOTES
1. Boot loader specification http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec systemd 208 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)