Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with searching and then editing a file through shell. Post 302525577 by kumaran_5555 on Friday 27th of May 2011 05:55:24 AM
Old 05-27-2011
If you want the new record to be in the same line, then you can use awk to do that. or few head and tail commands with line number will help.

I am giving a simple example with awk here,

Code:
user@host> (/home/user/c_test) $
user@host> (/home/user/c_test) $ cat test.txt
one
two
three
fourth
fifth
sixth

this was similar to your recorddatabase file, i am trying to enter new value instead of three
Code:
xti@host> (/home/user/c_test) $ awk '{if($0~/^three/){system("read -p \"Entre : \" temp;echo $temp")}else {print $0}} ' test.txt >new.txt
Entre : Hello

Now the new.txt file will have new records
Code:
user@host> (/home/user/c_test) $ cat new.txt
one
two
Hello
fourth
fifth
sixth

This User Gave Thanks to kumaran_5555 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem editing big file in vi

I have a big file, which vi opens it with message not sufficient space with file system. I am not adding any data in the file but changing some values within. To make these changes effective, it asks for forced write (w!), even after doing this, I see this particular record, change is not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing a file in a shell script

Using Solaris 8. I need to create a shell script that will edit a text file. I need to look in the text file and do a search and replace. For instance, the text file name is always 'filename'. I need to open filename and replace every instance of 'oldtext' with 'newtext'. 'oldtext' is static. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jowpup
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching and editing file contents

Can you please help me to edit parts of a file and write into a new file. ===================================== Suppose I have a huge data dump in a file I need to search for a tag in that and cut few lines around that tag in the file. Is there a way to keep track of line numbers and operate on... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayana
18 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - editing file names (End of line problem?)

For lists in sed, to say what to replace, is this correct: I am hoping that this would recognise that either a "." is present, or that the substitution happens at the end of the line. For files with extensions , my script works perfectly. My problem is, files without extentions, i.e. . ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: busillis
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing a file via a shell script ??

Morning All: I know this might be easy but since I don't do this very often I get stumped real quick... Sun box Solaris 8 ksh... I need to edit a file via a shell script. In this file I need to locate one specific line and then remove that line plus the next 20 line below that.... Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyc
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem while searching in a file by 'AWK'

Hi , i am writing a script in which i am using following command to grep some string and then storing it's output to v, as like below :- v=$(awk -F, '{ if ( $NF ~ /DEV/ ) print $0 "_BLD01";else print $0 "_RC01" }' mytest) Here i am facing following issues:- 1. it is searcing DEV in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: inderpunj
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing excel file through shell script

Hi, I am having a business file in excel having charts based on data already present on it. I would like to add new rows after the existing data and refesh the chart on it using shell script. For example-- In excel file in "sheet1", There is some data in first 10 rows ( from column A to F).... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay1979
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing a file using shell script

HI all, I have file in the below format 1111111111_222222222_3333333 111111_22222_33333 11111111_222222_33333333333 i need to display this file like this 2222222_1111111111 22222_11111111 22222222222_1111111111111 can anyone help me with this Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saravanan71184
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in using sed command in editing a file

Hi all, I have a conf file, i want to update some entries in that conf file. Below is the code for that using a temporary file. sed '/workgroup=/ c\workgroup=Workgroup' /usr/local/netx.conf > /usr/local/netx.conf.tmp mv -f /usr/local/netx.conf.tmp /usr/local/netx.conf Sample contents of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranj14r
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell quoting problem while editing a remote file using sed

value of i = solarisbox ssh $i "cat /etc/hosts | sed "s/$i\.local\.//" | sed "s/$i\./$i/" | sed "s/$i/$i.sol.com/" > /usr/users/chidori/edit_hosts"While running the above one liner its i am not able to make the changes and write it to the file /usr/users/chidori/edit_hosts . I know there is a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
2 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD