Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Count specific word or character per line Post 302525491 by janzper on Thursday 26th of May 2011 10:32:35 PM
Old 05-26-2011
Java Count specific word or character per line

Hi,

I need help regarding counting specific word or character per line and validate it against a specific number i.e 10. And if number of character equals the specific number then that line will be part of the output.

Specific number = 6
Specific word or char = ||
Sample data:
1||2||3||4||afa||adfasf||asdf
1||2||3||4||afa||adfasf
1||2||3||4||afa
4||2||3||4||afa||ad||a

Output should be:
1||2||3||4||afa||adfasf||asdf
4||2||3||4||afa||ad||a

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with scritp to count an specific word into a log

Hello my friends, I need to count how many words are into a log file, I'm using: cat logfile | grep 'word' | wc -l Cuz the 'word' appears once per line. But my logfile grow faster and at the end ofthe day is really big, so how i can count the 'word' only from (by example) line 4000 of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lestat_ecuador
5 Replies

2. HP-UX

count occurences of specific character in the file

For counting the occurences of specific character in the file I am issuing the command grep -o 'character' filename | wc -w It works in other shells but not in HP-UX as there is no option -o for grep. What do I do now? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: superprogrammer
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character(s) very large file

I'm trying to count the number of 2 specific characters in a very large file. I'd like to avoid using gsub because its taking too long. I was thinking something like: awk '-F' { t += NF - 1 } END {print t}' infile > outfile which isn't working Any ideas would be great. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for a single line to count how many times one character occurs in a word...

I've been looking on the internet, and haven't found anything simple enough to use in my code. All I want to do is count how many times "-" occurs in a string of characters (as a package name). It seems it should be very simple, and shouldn't require more than one line to accomplish. And this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shingoshi
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to count specific word and iterate over number of files.

Hi Experts, I want to know the count of specific word in a file. I have almost 600+ files. So I want to loop thru each file and get the count of the specific word. Please help me on achieving this... Many thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print line starts with specific word and contains specific word using sed?

Hi, I have gone through may posts and dint find exact solution for my requirement. I have file which consists below data and same file have lot of other data. <MAPPING DESCRIPTION ='' ISVALID ='YES' NAME='m_TASK_UPDATE' OBJECTVERSION ='1'> <MAPPING DESCRIPTION ='' ISVALID ='NO'... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Count amount of times of appearing of character before a word?

Hello Is there a way to calculate how many times a particular symbol appeared in a string before a particular word. Desktop/Myfiles/pet/dog/puppy So, I want to count number of occurence of"/" in this directory before the word dog lets say. Cheers, Bob (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FUTURE_EINSTEIN
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete line based on count of specific character

I'm looking for what I hope might be a one liner along these lines: sed '/a line with more than 3 pipes in it/d' I know how to get the pipe count in a string and store it in a variable, but I'm greedy enough to hope that it's possible via regex in the /.../d context. Am I asking too much? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiggyboo
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I count how many times a specific word appear in a file (ksh)?

Hi Please can you help how do I count the number of specific characters or words that appear in a file? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
WC(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     WC(1)

NAME
wc -- word, line, character, and byte count SYNOPSIS
wc [-clmw] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The wc utility displays the number of lines, words, and bytes contained in each input file, or standard input (if no file is specified) to the standard output. A line is defined as a string of characters delimited by a <newline> character. Characters beyond the final <newline> character will not be included in the line count. A word is defined as a string of characters delimited by white space characters. White space characters are the set of characters for which the iswspace(3) function returns true. If more than one input file is specified, a line of cumulative counts for all the files is displayed on a separate line after the output for the last file. The following options are available: -c The number of bytes in each input file is written to the standard output. This will cancel out any prior usage of the -m option. -l The number of lines in each input file is written to the standard output. -m The number of characters in each input file is written to the standard output. If the current locale does not support multibyte characters, this is equivalent to the -c option. This will cancel out any prior usage of the -c option. -w The number of words in each input file is written to the standard output. When an option is specified, wc only reports the information requested by that option. The order of output always takes the form of line, word, byte, and file name. The default action is equivalent to specifying the -c, -l and -w options. If no files are specified, the standard input is used and no file name is displayed. The prompt will accept input until receiving EOF, or [^D] in most environments. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of wc as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The wc utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
Count the number of characters, words and lines in each of the files report1 and report2 as well as the totals for both: wc -mlw report1 report2 COMPATIBILITY
Historically, the wc utility was documented to define a word as a ``maximal string of characters delimited by <space>, <tab> or <newline> characters''. The implementation, however, did not handle non-printing characters correctly so that `` ^D^E '' counted as 6 spaces, while ``foo^D^Ebar'' counted as 8 characters. 4BSD systems after 4.3BSD modified the implementation to be consistent with the documentation. This implementation defines a ``word'' in terms of the iswspace(3) function, as required by IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). SEE ALSO
iswspace(3) STANDARDS
The wc utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A wc command appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BSD
February 23, 2005 BSD