Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Plan to Buy a New Laptop
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Plan to Buy a New Laptop Post 302525391 by bakunin on Thursday 26th of May 2011 01:53:06 PM
Old 05-26-2011
Just wanted to tell you that today my all new woderful notebook arrived (thanks again, Ygor - great tip!). I had to make some small adjustments and probably you are interested in my experiences, so here we go:

The original plan was to buy a I5 system, because i have no performance problems at all. Shortly after placing the order the dealer called to tell me that with a 2-core processor the system only knows about 8GB RAM. Well, he gave a special price for the upgrade and i can't bring myself to be disappointed about having more processing power now than perhaps i ever will need (i wonder when i ever will grow up and buy only what i need, not what is cool, hip and fast - *sigh*).

Anyway, this was my final system, which came for a price of EUR 3113,-, including VAT:

HP Elitebook Mobile Workstation 8740W
non-glare WUXGA display 1920x1200
Intel I7-740QM
16GB DDR-3 RAM PC10600 CL9
ATI Fire graphics, 1GB local memory
256GB Crucial C300 SSD

My first impression was very good: it looks very solid, is less noisy than my old notebook (a HP Pavilion dv7) and compared to the closed-shop BIOS of its predecessor the BIOS is filled with options.

The old one had a "BIOS tuning program" or something such instead - which ran exclusively under Windoze, naturally. Thank you for nothing! I don't want to install a complete OS every time i want to change the boot order.

Anyway, the new thing looks a lot more professional - built for work, not for watching videos while archiving last holidays photos.

I put in an old Ubuntu 9.04 CD i happen to find in my - well, you really don't want to see my software archive, LOL - and try to start up. The displays resolution and quality is breathtaking and i had to take some time just to look at this absolutely phantastic screen. I'm really looking forward to work with this baby.

The downside is that no network is working: there is no WLAN device, suggesting that i have to find the right driver module, but even eth0 is missing and i can't configure a cable-bound network. The output of "ifconfig" only shows 2 devices, "lo0" and "pan0", i don't know what to make of that.

Well, let's see what an up-to-date Fedora version (15) can do with the hardware, so i am downloading the installation DVD right now (3.3GB - that takes a while). I will tell you tomorrow what happened.

bakunin

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

plan

i want to make a program run when a person types 'finger USERNAME', username being my username. how can i do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cypher
2 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

401 Keg Plan

If you had purchased $1,000 of AIG stock one year ago, you would have about $40.00 left. With Lehman, you have about $6.00 left. With Fannie or Freddie, you would have less than $5.00 left. But, if you had purchased $1,000 worth of beer one year ago, and had drunk all of the beer, then turned... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
4 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

an advice regarding backup plan

Hi all i'm looking for good advice regarding backup plan becuase its first time to me handle large scale database expected to grow up 10000 - 20000 record per year with daily operations on it I'm working as sysAdmin in educational organization ( junior level ) with mixed OSes environment... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
3 Replies

4. AIX

Plan to shutdown servers

Hello everyone I need to shutdown all my servers and my storage. I would like to hear your opinions about this. This is my little plan about all this. 1.-Stop the applications 2.-Stop the webservers 3.-Stop the ihs 4.-Stop the databases 5.-Verify no process are running 6.-Close the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
1 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Connect 2 laptops with RJ45 cable (Ubuntu 10.10 laptop with Windows 7 laptop)

Hi to all, I have the problem that a laptops with windows XP cannot startup even in safe mode nor using last good known configuration. I have a Ubuntu 10.10 Live CD and booting from it I can read the Hard Drive. I need to do a backup the Hard Drive from XP laptop and I want to connect this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need a database and a plan of attack!

Hi everyone, I've got an extensive collection of seismic files that I am trying to turn into workable subsurface data collection. It's all real-time history and it is being loaded onto the main linux computer from a collection of about 1000 CDs. There are about 4000 seismic files on each CD, and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ws6transam
3 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Laptop to laptop transfer files

Dear all, I would like to transfer my old laptop documents/files etc to the new laptop without using any external hard disk. Please let me know if its possible via any way. Thank in advance, emily (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
3 Replies
MACHINE-INFO(5) 						   machine-info 						   MACHINE-INFO(5)

NAME
machine-info - Local machine information file SYNOPSIS
/etc/machine-info DESCRIPTION
The /etc/machine-info file contains machine meta data. The basic file format of machine-info is a newline-separated list of environment-like shell-compatible variable assignments. It is possible to source the configuration from shell scripts, however, beyond mere variable assignments no shell features are supported, allowing applications to read the file without implementing a shell compatible execution engine. /etc/machine-info contains meta data about the machine that is set by the user or administrator. Depending on the operating system other configuration files might be checked for machine information as well, however only as fallback. OPTIONS
The following machine meta data parameters may be set using /etc/machine-info: PRETTY_HOSTNAME= A pretty human-readable UTF8 machine identifier string. This should contain a name like Lennart's Laptop which is useful to present to the user and does not suffer by the syntax limitations of internet domain names. If possible the internet host name as configured in /etc/hostname should be kept similar to this one. Example: if this value is Lennart's Computer an Internet host name of lennarts-computer might be a good choice. If this parameter is not set an application should fall back to the Internet host name for presentation purposes. ICON_NAME= An icon identifying this machine according to the XDG Icon Naming Specification[1]. If this parameter is not set an application should fall back to computer or a similar icon name. EXAMPLE
PRETTY_HOSTNAME="Lennart's Computer" ICON_NAME=computer-laptop SEE ALSO
systemd(1), os-release(5), hostname(5), machine-id(5) AUTHOR
Lennart Poettering <lennart@poettering.net> Developer NOTES
1. XDG Icon Naming Specification http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html systemd 10/07/2013 MACHINE-INFO(5)