Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users change io logging directory sudo 1.7.4p6 Post 302525387 by DGPickett on Thursday 26th of May 2011 01:39:59 PM
Old 05-26-2011
There's always sym-links! Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Logging all commands after a sudo su-

Hi there, It might seem tricky, I confess. We use sudo to allow people to initiate priviledged commands (but not all commands) on our Unix systems. To by pass this, some people initiate the sudo su - command ; The main issue is to 'know' what those people do when they gain root access.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxmtl
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sudo logging + NFS hang?

Hi all, I have two problems, My system is SunOS 5.9: 1- I have installed sudo but I have a problem logging user activities on other hosts, the way I installed it is that I installed sudo and the sudoers file in a shared directory on a NFS server which is mounted by all computers on the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neked
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What change in freeBSD OS to allow root logging using ssh?

Hi everybody, ] I would like to ask just simpe and short question. I am using freeBSD 6.0 and Debian Sarge. From Debian console I can log as root using ssh to bsd mashine but not vice versa. When I say in bsd console su I got sorry output, it does not allow me to su to root when I am logged... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100days
5 Replies

4. HP-UX

sudo or su logging

Jul 14 08:02:40 servera sshd: Accepted keyboard-interactive/pam for someuser from x.x.x.x port 1406 ssh2 Jul 14 08:02:48 servera su: - 1 someuser-root Jul 14 08:03:03 servera sudo: someuser : TTY=pts/1 ; PWD=/home/someuser ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/su - Jul 14 08:03:03 servera su: + 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikon
3 Replies

5. Solaris

How to change pwd during logging on ftp server?

Dear All, Could I change password while login in to ftp server(solaris 10)? I tried to use fileZilla and command prompt(window) to change my password but It can't. Do you have any suggestion ? Ps. I can't telnet and ssh to the server because of poicy for ftpuser. Thank in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unitipon
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sudo on directory

Hello, I have a directory with 45 kshell scripts . I would like to grant sudo to specific account on this DIRECTORY and not on each and every files. Is it possible ? (note: I have the same scripts and directory both on linux redhat + hpux) Best Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Sudo logging need year details also

Hi All I have a requirement in which during sudo logging, I must get the year details also in sudo log file. As below output is not mentioning the year due to this I will not able to idenfiy that this log belong to 2012 or 2011 or 2010 Dec 12 11:30:21 XYZ sudo: user1 : TTY=pts/5 ;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar file with logging and directory via parameter

Hi all, I am fairly new to shell scripting and I am trying the following: My shell script creates a tar file with files with the ending ~. The directory - where the files and sub directories are located - comes as a parameter when I call the script. Files that are archived will be written in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neg42
1 Replies
sudo_root(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      sudo_root(8)

NAME
sudo_root - How to run administrative commands SYNOPSIS
sudo command sudo -i INTRODUCTION
By default, the password for the user "root" (the system administrator) is locked. This means you cannot login as root or use su. Instead, the installer will set up sudo to allow the user that is created during install to run all administrative commands. This means that in the terminal you can use sudo for commands that require root privileges. All programs in the menu will use a graphical sudo to prompt for a password. When sudo asks for a password, it needs your password, this means that a root password is not needed. To run a command which requires root privileges in a terminal, simply prepend sudo in front of it. To get an interactive root shell, use sudo -i. ALLOWING OTHER USERS TO RUN SUDO
By default, only the user who installed the system is permitted to run sudo. To add more administrators, i. e. users who can run sudo, you have to add these users to the group 'admin' by doing one of the following steps: * In a shell, do sudo adduser username admin * Use the graphical "Users & Groups" program in the "System settings" menu to add the new user to the admin group. BENEFITS OF USING SUDO
The benefits of leaving root disabled by default include the following: * Users do not have to remember an extra password, which they are likely to forget. * The installer is able to ask fewer questions. * It avoids the "I can do anything" interactive login by default - you will be prompted for a password before major changes can happen, which should make you think about the consequences of what you are doing. * Sudo adds a log entry of the command(s) run (in /var/log/auth.log). * Every attacker trying to brute-force their way into your box will know it has an account named root and will try that first. What they do not know is what the usernames of your other users are. * Allows easy transfer for admin rights, in a short term or long term period, by adding and removing users from the admin group, while not compromising the root account. * sudo can be set up with a much more fine-grained security policy. * On systems with more than one administrator using sudo avoids sharing a password amongst them. DOWNSIDES OF USING SUDO
Although for desktops the benefits of using sudo are great, there are possible issues which need to be noted: * Redirecting the output of commands run with sudo can be confusing at first. For instance consider sudo ls > /root/somefile will not work since it is the shell that tries to write to that file. You can use ls | sudo tee /root/somefile to get the behaviour you want. * In a lot of office environments the ONLY local user on a system is root. All other users are imported using NSS techniques such as nss-ldap. To setup a workstation, or fix it, in the case of a network failure where nss-ldap is broken, root is required. This tends to leave the system unusable. An extra local user, or an enabled root password is needed here. GOING BACK TO A TRADITIONAL ROOT ACCOUNT
This is not recommended! To enable the root account (i.e. set a password) use: sudo passwd root Afterwards, edit the sudo configuration with sudo visudo and comment out the line %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL to disable sudo access to members of the admin group. SEE ALSO
sudo(8), https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo February 8, 2006 sudo_root(8)