Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Match username to a name in list!(help:P) Post 302525013 by lupospiros on Wednesday 25th of May 2011 10:44:29 AM
Old 05-25-2011
Power Match username to a name in list!(help:P)

Hello,
I'm taking a username from keyboard as input and i want to check if it exists in a list under a directory for example "/home/students/" ....

if there is a match i want to type the list...

can anyone give me an example or a tutorial to read plz?

thnx for your help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

List files that do not match the search pattern

I need to list the files that do not match the search pattern: Example: cat file1 This is how it should work cat file2 This is why I like Unix grep -option? Unix * (or some other command) returns file1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: olapxpert
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List files that do not match the search pattern

I need to list the files that do not match the search pattern: Example: cat file1 This is how it should work cat file2 This is why I like Unix grep -option? Unix * (or some other command) returns file1 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: olapxpert
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

List file in Dir and then match

Hi ALL, I am making a script that search all then worldwriteable dir in documentroot.I have manage to find all the dir now i want to match each file extension in worldwriteable against a list of array which contain file like php html etc,if i find any file then print dirname. Dont see to get any... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aliahsan81
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regexp: match string that contains list of chars

Hi, I'm curious about how to do a very simple thing with regular expressions that I'm unable to figure out. If I want to find out if a string contains 'a' AND 'b' AND 'c' it can be very easily done with grep: echo $STRING|grep a|grep b|grep c but, how would you do that in a single... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimcanoa
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

List all file that match user input perl

Hi, I want to list all file that match user input ( specified shell wildcard) but when I compile it dont list me #!/usr/bin/perl -w print "Enter Advance Search Function: "; chomp ($func = <STDIN>); my @files = glob("$func"); foreach my $file (@files) { print "$file\n";... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guidely
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match and insert in a sorted list

I have a sorted list (python) and I want to insert a string if it matches the pattern in list. Example : Sorted List Above list is in sorted order. I need to insert a name in sorted order and also if the name already exist then it should be inserted before the existing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pratapsingh
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve lines that match any occurence in a list of patterns

I have two files. The first containing a header and six columns of data. Example file 1: Number SNP ID dbSNP RS ID Chromosome Result_Call Physical Position 787066 SNP_A-8575395 RS6650104 1 NOCALL 564477 786872 SNP_A-8575125 RS10458597 1 AA ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Selftaught
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Better way to match a list in awk

Suppose I have a list of strings in a file called stringlist... string1 string2 ... stringn Suppose also that I have another file, or stdin, or whatever, and I want to use awk to see if some field in each record matches any string in stringlist. What I've been doing is using each string... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to write a script to match a searched name to a given list?

Full title: How to write a script to match a searched name to a given list, and then returns other names with the same properties Anyway, first time here, hi! So I'm taking an introductory course at uni and there's a question in our lab that asks us to write a script where a user can search a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aheyhey
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Why does "ps -[u|U] username" not list processes when username is numeric?

Greetings, The title pretty much says it all. I've snooped everywhere and can't find anything on this. Since our organization went to numeric usernames, using the u|U option for ps returns no processes. Example passwd entry: 320074:DjZAJKXun8HBs:10129:6006:Joe Y:/cadhome/analysis/jy:/bin/bash... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
4 Replies
su(1)							      General Commands Manual							     su(1)

Name
       su - substitute a user ID

Syntax
       su [username]

su - [username]

su -f [username]

Description
       The  command  requests the password of the specified username.  If the correct password is given, changes to that username without changing
       the current directory.  The user environment is unchanged except for HOME and SHELL which are taken from the password file entry for  user-
       name.   The  shell  that  is  run  is also taken from the password file entry for username.  The new user ID stays in force until the shell
       exits.

If no username is specified, `root' is assumed.	To remind the superuser of his responsibilities, the shell substitutes `#' for	its  usual
       prompt.

Options
       -f   Prevents from executing the .cshrc file, making start up faster.

-    Simulates a full login.

Diagnostics
       Sorry
	    An invalid password was supplied for the specified username.

Unknown login: username
	    The specified username was not found in the passwd database.

No directory
	    The home directory for the username is not accessible at this time (only with ``-'' argument).

No shell
	    The shell specified in the passwd database entry for username could not be executed.

Kerberos initialization failure
	    Consult your system administrator.

If enhanced security features are enabled the following error messages are also possible:

Requires secure terminal
	    Attempt to su to UID 0 on a line that is not marked secure in

User's password has expired
	    Access is denied because the password for username is expired.

This account is disabled
	    Access is denied because the auth entry corresponding to username is marked disabled.

Files
       Log file of anyone who became
			root, with a date mark.

See Also
       csh(1), sh(1), passwd(5yp), environ(7), edauth(8)
       Security Guide for Administrators
       Security Guide for Users

su(1)