Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with writing into a file through shell script Post 302524863 by joydeep4u on Wednesday 25th of May 2011 12:47:09 AM
Old 05-25-2011
Hi,

Thanks for replying.

You are absolutely right- there's no reason for a separate line1 variable. Also the nohup is not needed. I was trying those options just to see whether they made a difference. What I am trying to do through this script is to login to the server and logging in the interrupt values from the output of /proc/interrupts in the output files when the httperf script is running.

But the problem is that the output files are not getting created in this manner. The output files get created when the interrupt script is evoked from the command line. Any help in this issue would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Joydeep

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Difference between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts

Hi, Please give me the detailed Differences between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts. Thanks in advance..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP! writing shell script with c++ file

how would i write a shell script to count number of one-line comments in a c++ file. please help with coding thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deadleg
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for a writing the directory structure to a file

Hi All, I am new user of shell scripting has come up with a problem. that I have a directory structure like : Home | |--------A | |----trunk | |-------A_0_1/ | | | |-------A_0_2/ | |--------B | ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script writing problem

Self professed idot looking for help LOL Hi all, I am new to Unix and I have to write a shell script that will check to see if a file exist and then create it if it does not. The file I need to search for is titled "A1. dat" and here is my feeble attempt at creating the script: #!/bin/bash... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tinablue
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to remove spaces while writing to the file

Hello Folks, I want to get the results from a SQL query which needs to be exported to a .txt file. My Script is something like #!/bin/ksh db2 connect to DATABASE user user_name using pwd; touch test.txt isResult=0; isResult= `db2 -x select 'ABC',COL_B from TABLE_A WHERE COL_B=CONDITION`... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinesh1985
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with writing shell script file

I am trying to prompt the user using tput command to read the information ( 5 last names, first names and grades) from the keyboard. Save the data in a file called student.txt. Sort the file by last name and display it on the screen My pseudocode is as follow: Pseudocode: Initialize... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jestaton
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

newbie: writing ksh shell problem

my default profile is using ksh, I tried to write a simple scripts and I had issues, below is my scripts: $ more if_num.ksh USAGE="usage: if_num.ksh" print -n "Enter two numbers: " read x y if ((x=y)) then print "You entered the same number twice." when I tried to executed the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: matthew00
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem writing a simple c shell script

#!/bin/csh echo hello world this is what i got in a text file called ss1. i type "chmod 755 ss1.txt" to make it executable. then when i type ss1 or ss1.txt it says "ss1 command not found" what am i doing wrong? (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: pantelis
19 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sqlplus inside shell script writing to tmp file

Hi, facing an issue while calling sqlplus inside shell script. It for some reason goes to tmp file to write something and i get error as permission denied as i dont have access there. ANy idea why sqlplus writes in /tmp and how to change or stop this ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rushikeshs
2 Replies

10. Programming

Writing a UNIX shell script to call a C function and redirecting data to a .txt file

Hi, I am complete new to C programming and shell scripting. I just wrote a simple C code to calculate integral using trapezoid rule. I am prompting user to pass me No. of equally spaced points , N , upper and lower limit. My code looks as follows so far: #include<stdio.h> #include<string.h>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjhjh
2 Replies
nohup(1)						      General Commands Manual							  nohup(1)

NAME
nohup - run a command immune to hangups SYNOPSIS
command [arguments] DESCRIPTION
executes command with hangups and quits ignored. If output is not redirected by the user, both standard output and standard error are sent to If is not writable in the current directory, output is redirected to otherwise, fails. If a file is created, the file's permission bits will be set to If output from is redirected to a terminal, or is not redirected at all, the output is sent to EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty vari- able. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
It is frequently desirable to apply to pipelines or lists of commands. This can be done only by placing pipelines and command lists in a single file, called a shell script. To run the script using features apply to the entire contents of file. If the shell script file is to be executed often, the need to type can be eliminated by setting execute permission on file. The script can also be run in the background with interrupts ignored (see sh(1)): file typically contains normal keyboard command sequences that one would want to continue running in case the terminal disconnects, such as: WARNINGS
Be careful to place punctuation properly. For example, in the command form: applies only to command1. To correct the problem, use the command form: Be careful of where standard error is redirected. The following command may put error messages on tape, making it unreadable: whereas puts the error messages into file EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: The command specified by command was found but could not be invoked An error occurred in the nohup utility or the specified command could not be found Otherwise, the exit status of nohup will be that of the command specified. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), nice(1), sh(1), signal(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
nohup(1)