Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed escape character for comment string "/*" Post 302524574 by toeharp on Tuesday 24th of May 2011 12:28:14 AM
Old 05-24-2011
Aha - that's the ticket! Thanks for the help Agama, worked like a charm!

Also, thanks for the depreciation tip - I'll make a point of moving everything over to $(command) syntax.

Thanks!
Stephen

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed - How to escape variable number of "/" (slash) ?

Hi, Can you tell me how to escape a variable number of slash characters in sed "/" ? In the script the code looks like this: cat $file_to_update | sed s/^$param/$param=$tab2*\#\*/1 And the $tab2 value is a path so it will have a number of "/" charracters. # cat db.cfg | sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: majormark
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing the "\" and "\n" character using sed or tr

Hi All, I'm trying to write a ksh script to parse a file. When the "\" character is encountered, it should be removed and the next line should be concatenated with the current line. For example... this is a test line #1\ should be concatenated with line #2\ and line number 3 when this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_coder
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris escape my script from "-" to "/226"

Hello everyone. I beg your guys pardon please. I try to ls -al in many path/directories. So, I put the code in text file which look like below; ls -al / ls -al /etc ls -al /etc/default ... however, when I paste it to Solaris over SecureCRT, it seems the code was escaped from "-" to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smith
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command Character size limit in the "sh" and "bourne" shell

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to search a string which is in between "" and replace it with another character

Hi, I am trying to search a string from a text file which is in between "" (Double Quotes) (Eg: "Unix"), and replace it with a | where ever it is appearing in the text file and save the file. Please help me. -kkmdv (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkmdv
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print range of lines using sed when pattern has special character "["

Hi, My input has much more lines, but few of them are below pin(IDF) { direction : input; drc_pinsigtype : signal; pin(SELDIV6) { direction : input; drc_pinsigtype : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to find text between a "string " and character ","

Hello everyone Sorry I have to add another sed question. I am searching a log file and need only the first 2 occurances of text which comes after (note the space) "string " and before a ",". I have tried sed -n 's/.*string \(*\),.*/\1/p' filewith some, but limited success. This gives out all... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: haggismn
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed random \n for "n" range of character occurrences

I'd like to put paragraph breaks \n\n randomly between 5 - 10 occurrences of the dot character (.), for an entire text file. How to do that? In other words, anywhere between every 5 -10 sentences, a new paragraph will generate. There are no other uses of the (.) except for sentence breaks in... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: p1ne
11 Replies
kinit(8krb)															       kinit(8krb)

Name
       kinit - Kerberos login utility

Syntax
       /usr/bin/kinit [ -irv ]

Description
       You  use the command to log into the Kerberos authentication and authorization system.  You also use the command when your original tickets
       have expired.  When you use the command without options, the utility prompts for a username and a Kerberos password and attempts to authen-
       ticate to the local Kerberos server.

If  Kerberos  authenticates you correctly, retrieves your initial ticket and puts it in the ticket file specified by the KRBTKFILE environ-
       ment variable.  If you have not defined this variable, the ticket is stored in the file

Make sure you use the command to destroy any active tickets before ending your login session.  You may want to put the command in a file so
       that all tickets are destroyed automatically when you log out.  Only registered Kerberos users can use the Kerberos system.

Options
       -i     Causes to prompt you for a Kerberos instance.

-r     Causes to prompt you for a Kerberos realm.  This option lets you authenticate yourself with a remote Kerberos server.

-v     Initiates verbose mode.	This causes to print the name of the ticket file used and a status message indicating the success or fail-
	      ure of your login attempt.

Restrictions
       Although user-level authentication is not supported, is useful for testing the installation of Kerberos functionality, by determining if  a
       newly  installed  principal  can  obtain  a  ticket-granting  ticket.  For example, to determine if the running on machine X can obtain its
       ticket-granting ticket, you can run input the principal name, the instance, X, and the password of If succeeds, then Kerberos is  correctly
       installed on machine X.

The option has not been fully implemented.

Files
       See Also
	      kdestroy(8krb), klist(8krb)

kinit(8krb)