Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: To "dd" or not to "dd"?
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory To "dd" or not to "dd"? Post 302524513 by howdy_howdy on Monday 23rd of May 2011 01:52:02 PM
Old 05-23-2011
To "dd" or not to "dd"?

I have a Solaris 2.7 and a Solaris 2.9 machine. I have mounted an external LINUX volumne with 1TB size on these two machines.

My problem is how do I copy files to the volume? If I use "cp", it will take for ever to finish the copy. I was thinking of using 'dd' but I am reading from the "man" that the devices should be of the same size in order to do a block by block copy.

I don't have a back up solution and am trying to use the classing method of copying files.

Can anyone suggest some thing here?

Thanks for your help.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ps -ef | grep "string1" "string2" " "string3"

Hi all, can any one suggest me the script to grep multiple strings from ps -ef pls correct the below script . its not working/ i want to print OK if all the below process are running in my solaris system. else i want to print NOT OK. bash-3.00$ ps -ef | grep blu lscpusr 48 42 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve2216
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

6. Solaris

The slices "usr", "opt", "tmp" disappeared!!! Help please.

The system don't boot. on the screen appears following: press enter to maintenance (or type CTRL-D to continue)...I checked with format command. ... the slices "0-root","1-swap","2-backup" exist. ...the slises "3-var","6-usr" -unassigned. :( (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
16 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
DD(1)							      General Commands Manual							     DD(1)

NAME
dd - convert and copy a file SYNOPSIS
dd [ option value ] ... DESCRIPTION
Dd copies the specified input file to the specified output with possible conversions. The standard input and output are used by default. The input and output block size may be specified to take advantage of raw physical I/O. The options are -if f Open file f for input. -of f Open file f for output. -ibs n Set input block size to n bytes (default 512). -obs n Set output block size (default 512). -bs n Set both input and output block size, superseding ibs and obs. If no conversion is specified, preserve the input block size instead of packing short blocks into the output buffer. This is particularly efficient since no in-core copy need be done. -cbs n Set conversion buffer size. -skip n Skip n input records before copying. -iseek n Seek n records forward on input file before copying. -files n Catenate n input files (useful only for magnetic tape or similar input device). -oseek n Seek n records from beginning of output file before copying. -count n Copy only n input records. -conv ascii Convert EBCDIC to ASCII. ebcdic Convert ASCII to EBCDIC. ibm Like ebcdic but with a slightly different character map. block Convert variable length ASCII records to fixed length. unblock Convert fixed length ASCII records to variable length. lcase Map alphabetics to lower case. ucase Map alphabetics to upper case. swab Swap every pair of bytes. noerror Do not stop processing on an error. sync Pad every input record to ibs bytes. Where sizes are specified, a number of bytes is expected. A number may end with or to specify multiplication by 1024 or 512 respectively; a pair of numbers may be separated by to indicate a product. Multiple conversions may be specified in the style: is used only if or conversion is specified. In the first two cases, n characters are copied into the conversion buffer, any specified character mapping is done, trailing blanks are trimmed and new-line is added before sending the line to the output. In the latter three cases, characters are read into the conversion buffer and blanks are added to make up an output record of size n. If is unspecified or zero, the and options convert the character set without changing the block structure of the input file; the and options become a simple file copy. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/dd.c SEE ALSO
cp(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Dd reports the number of full + partial input and output blocks handled. DD(1)