Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help on Modulus
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help on Modulus Post 302524255 by pludi on Sunday 22nd of May 2011 05:50:02 PM
Old 05-22-2011
Simple reason: ksh (and bash, not sure about zsh) doesn't do floating point arithmetics. For any calculation everything after the comma is ignored. Use bc instead.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help in modulus operator in Bash

Hi, I would like to know given that i have two columns and I would like to take the positive integer of the differences between the two columns. which means |3-2|=1; |2-3|=1 as well. I would like to know do Bash recognize | | as well for this purposes? Thanks. -Jason (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modulus operator

What is the modulus operator in korn shell?? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manash.paul
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Division and modulus

I need to read the file divide 3 column with 2nd and run a modulus of 10 and check whether the remainder is zero or not if not print the entire line. cat filename | awk '{ if ($3 / $2 % 10 != 0) print $0}' Whats wrong with it ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
4 Replies
SIGNBIT(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							SIGNBIT(3)

NAME
signbit - test sign of a real floating-point number SYNOPSIS
#include <math.h> int signbit(x); Link with -lm. Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): signbit(): _ISOC99_SOURCE || _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 200112L DESCRIPTION
signbit() is a generic macro which can work on all real floating-point types. It returns a nonzero value if the value of x has its sign bit set. This is not the same as x < 0.0, because IEEE 754 floating point allows zero to be signed. The comparison -0.0 < 0.0 is false, but sign- bit(-0.0) will return a nonzero value. NaNs and infinities have a sign bit. RETURN VALUE
The signbit() macro returns nonzero if the sign of x is negative; otherwise it returns zero. ERRORS
No errors occur. ATTRIBUTES
For an explanation of the terms used in this section, see attributes(7). +----------+---------------+---------+ |Interface | Attribute | Value | +----------+---------------+---------+ |signbit() | Thread safety | MT-Safe | +----------+---------------+---------+ CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001, POSIX.1-2008, C99. This function is defined in IEC 559 (and the appendix with recommended functions in IEEE 754/IEEE 854). SEE ALSO
copysign(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2017-09-15 SIGNBIT(3)