Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Remove extra character
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove extra character Post 302524201 by Skrynesaver on Sunday 22nd of May 2011 07:46:25 AM
Old 05-22-2011
Code:
~/tmp$ echo 1 > file
~/tmp$ cat file
~/tmp$ value=$(cat file);printf "$value"
1~/tmp$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL cgi script... extra character driving me crazy

I'm using a PERL cgi script that uses rrdtool to make graphs. I can't get the syntax correct to use a degree sign (alt+0176 like this °) and also using a variable. If I use single quotes, I can't call the variable. If I use double quotes, there is an extra symbol (Â) before the ° which goes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: audiophile
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a special character $ in place of extra spaces

Hi Experts, I have called some.txt with the following content. oracle HYRDSRVIHUB01 pts/0 TESTIHUB 07-JUN-10 CREATE TABLE TESTIHUB PHONE ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: naree
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort file adding extra character

HI all i have this script : #!/bin/bash sort /usr/tmp/"REPORT"$1 -o \ /usr/tmp/"SREPORT"$1 -k 1,7 -S 150 end of script now i'm doing this command : ls -lsgt *REPORT* 4 -rw-r--r-- 300 Sep 16 REPORT54784 4 -rw-r--r-- 301 Sep 16 SREPORT54784 as you can see the sorted file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete extra character in a line?

And I want to delete the characters longer than 20 for each line start with #. The other lines should remain the same. I think this can be done by sed. Could anyone help me with this? Thanks! my input file: #ZP_05494889.1_Clostridium_papyrosolvens... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritacc
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extra character with iconv encoding

hey, I am trying to convert a sample russian encoding file to English encoding using iconv utility. Its almost done but with each converted character i am getting one extra character which must not come. my sample Russian text is test.txt А Б В Г Д Е Ж З И Й К ~ and script which i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: peeyushgehlot
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk while-loop printing extra character

Hi, I'm using a while-loop in an awk script. If it matches a regular expression, it prints a line. Unfortunately, each line that is printed in this loop is followed by an extra character, "1". While-statement extracted from my script: getline temp; while (temp ~ /.* x .*/) print temp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redbluefish
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to remove extra characters

Guys, I have a file that contains entries like this: LaxOrdID=19220288<8> LaxOrdID=19220288 I would like to remove <> and the values inside it anywhere its found. How? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove Extra Delimiter

Hi , I have file like this.. aaa|bbbb|cccc|dddd|fff|dsaaFFDFD| Adsads|sas|sa|as|asa|saddas|dsasd|sdad| dsas|dss|sss|sss|ddd|dssd|rrr|fddf| www|fff|refd|dads|fsdf|00sd| 5fgdg|dfs00|d55f|sfds55|445fsd|55ds|sdf| so I do no have any fix pattern and I want to remove extra... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajchaudhari
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed removing extra character from end

Hi, Searching through forum I found "sed 's/*$//'" can be used to remove trailing whitespaces and tabs from file. The command works fine but I see minor issue as below. Can you please suggest if I am doing something wrong here. $ cat a.txt upg_prod_test upg_prod_new $ cat a.txt |sed... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhupinder08
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Removing extra character when setting variable

I have a data file d0 that looks like this: $cat d0 server1 running -n-cv- 8G 3.1% 1435d 15h server2 running -n---- 8G 39% 660d 22h server3 running -n--v- 8G 2.5% 1173d 6h server4 running -n---- 8G 1.1% 1048d 20h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake0391S
2 Replies
UNBUFFER(1)						      General Commands Manual						       UNBUFFER(1)

NAME
unbuffer - unbuffer output SYNOPSIS
unbuffer program [ args ] INTRODUCTION
unbuffer disables the output buffering that occurs when program output is redirected from non-interactive programs. For example, suppose you are watching the output from a fifo by running it through od and then more. od -c /tmp/fifo | more You will not see anything until a full page of output has been produced. You can disable this automatic buffering as follows: unbuffer od -c /tmp/fifo | more Normally, unbuffer does not read from stdin. This simplifies use of unbuffer in some situations. To use unbuffer in a pipeline, use the -p flag. Example: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 CAVEATS
unbuffer -p may appear to work incorrectly if a process feeding input to unbuffer exits. Consider: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 If process1 exits, process2 may not yet have finished. It is impossible for unbuffer to know long to wait for process2 and process2 may not ever finish, for example, if it is a filter. For expediency, unbuffer simply exits when it encounters an EOF from either its input or process2. In order to have a version of unbuffer that worked in all situations, an oracle would be necessary. If you want an application-specific solution, workarounds or hand-coded Expect may be more suitable. For example, the following example shows how to allow grep to finish pro- cessing when the cat before it finishes first. Using cat to feed grep would never require unbuffer in real life. It is merely a place- holder for some imaginary process that may or may not finish. Similarly, the final cat at the end of the pipeline is also a placeholder for another process. $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | unbuffer grep abc | cat $ (cat /tmp/abcdef.log ; sleep 1) | unbuffer grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ BUGS
The man page is longer than the program. SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 1 June 1994 UNBUFFER(1)