Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Passing arguments to alias with multiple commands Post 302523944 by vgersh99 on Friday 20th of May 2011 10:34:57 AM
Old 05-20-2011
Code:
alias lss='sudo ls -l $@ | sort -nbk5'
lss -a

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing arguments to an alias

I want to have an alias for the command fold -78 filename | lp How do I set my alias so that the argument passed is filename ?? alias lp='fold -78 | lp' then lp filename wont work cuase this is fold -78 | lp filename (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pmcg
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alias confusion - multiple commands ?

I've read the man on the alias command, and I am perplexed. I don't see a way to create an alias that will perform more than one command......is there a way to create an alias that is a string of a commands ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HikerLT
1 Replies

3. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Passing variables/arguments/parameters to commands

A good place to start is simple variable passing.... Passing variables from one script to another The next level is passing a variable into a more complex command such as using a variable in a sed command. There are some simple quoting techniques that are very general. These are mentioned... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to make delays between multiple commands in an alias (ircII)?

Okay so I have an alias that looks like this: ALIAS gscn { MSG gscn Test1 MSG gscn Test2 MSG gscn Test3 MSG gscn Test4 MSG gscn Test5 } How do I make it wait 5 seconds between each command before it executes the next one after that in order from top to bottom? I tried the TIMER... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required in passing multiple arguments from a shell script to a pl/sql block

Hi, hope everyone are fine. Please find my issue below, and I request your help in the same In a configuration file, i have a variable defined as below TEST = 'One','Two','Three' I am trying to pass this variable in to a sql script which is define in a pl/sql block as follows, In the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramakanth_burra
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create alias files (not alias commands)

If one: $ find -name 'some expression' -type f > newfile and then subsequently wants to create an alias file from each pathname the find command retrieved and the > placed within 'newfile', how would one do this? Ideally, the newly created alias files would all be in one directory. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexander4444
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing multiple run time arguments

the scenario is - If I pass 3 three arguments( run time) , it should list all .txt files from a path to temp file if I pass 2 arguments ( run time) , it should list all .csv files from the same path to another temp file the above scenario should be handled in single code and also I dont know ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prashanth B
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing multiple arguments to a shell script

Hi Gurus, Need some help with the shell scripting here. #!/bin/ksh ps -ef | grep -i sample.ksh | grep -v grep > abc.txt if then echo "sample.ksh is executing" else echo "sample.ksh is not executing" fi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayadanabalan
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing multiple arguments

Hi, I know with getopts you can pass arguments from the command line ./script -ab -c apple But it doesn't support 2 or more arguments for ONE option. Is there any other way to do this? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: testa500
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh multiple hops to execute commands with arguments

Hi I need to write a script to ssh through several hops (e.g. HostA-HostB-HostC-HostD), where Host A does not have direct assess to HostC ; HostB cannot access HostD directly. when I ssh 3 hops and run command with arg1, arg2 and redirect the output to a file, e.g. HostA> ssh -t HostB ssh -t... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiensh
3 Replies
sudo_root(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      sudo_root(8)

NAME
sudo_root - How to run administrative commands SYNOPSIS
sudo command sudo -i INTRODUCTION
By default, the password for the user "root" (the system administrator) is locked. This means you cannot login as root or use su. Instead, the installer will set up sudo to allow the user that is created during install to run all administrative commands. This means that in the terminal you can use sudo for commands that require root privileges. All programs in the menu will use a graphical sudo to prompt for a password. When sudo asks for a password, it needs your password, this means that a root password is not needed. To run a command which requires root privileges in a terminal, simply prepend sudo in front of it. To get an interactive root shell, use sudo -i. ALLOWING OTHER USERS TO RUN SUDO
By default, only the user who installed the system is permitted to run sudo. To add more administrators, i. e. users who can run sudo, you have to add these users to the group 'admin' by doing one of the following steps: * In a shell, do sudo adduser username admin * Use the graphical "Users & Groups" program in the "System settings" menu to add the new user to the admin group. BENEFITS OF USING SUDO
The benefits of leaving root disabled by default include the following: * Users do not have to remember an extra password, which they are likely to forget. * The installer is able to ask fewer questions. * It avoids the "I can do anything" interactive login by default - you will be prompted for a password before major changes can happen, which should make you think about the consequences of what you are doing. * Sudo adds a log entry of the command(s) run (in /var/log/auth.log). * Every attacker trying to brute-force their way into your box will know it has an account named root and will try that first. What they do not know is what the usernames of your other users are. * Allows easy transfer for admin rights, in a short term or long term period, by adding and removing users from the admin group, while not compromising the root account. * sudo can be set up with a much more fine-grained security policy. * On systems with more than one administrator using sudo avoids sharing a password amongst them. DOWNSIDES OF USING SUDO
Although for desktops the benefits of using sudo are great, there are possible issues which need to be noted: * Redirecting the output of commands run with sudo can be confusing at first. For instance consider sudo ls > /root/somefile will not work since it is the shell that tries to write to that file. You can use ls | sudo tee /root/somefile to get the behaviour you want. * In a lot of office environments the ONLY local user on a system is root. All other users are imported using NSS techniques such as nss-ldap. To setup a workstation, or fix it, in the case of a network failure where nss-ldap is broken, root is required. This tends to leave the system unusable. An extra local user, or an enabled root password is needed here. GOING BACK TO A TRADITIONAL ROOT ACCOUNT
This is not recommended! To enable the root account (i.e. set a password) use: sudo passwd root Afterwards, edit the sudo configuration with sudo visudo and comment out the line %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL to disable sudo access to members of the admin group. SEE ALSO
sudo(8), https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo February 8, 2006 sudo_root(8)