Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Searching for files with specific extensions Post 302523920 by verdepollo on Friday 20th of May 2011 09:18:47 AM
Old 05-20-2011
Code:
 ls | grep -E '(.*\.log$|.*\.txt$)'

This User Gave Thanks to verdepollo For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for a specific string in an argumnet

I want to check the second argument for a specific string . The code below is what I am trying, but I get: UX:test (./test): ERROR: { if ($0 ~ /StringImLooking4/) {print $1} }: Unknown operator I want to test if the second argument contains the string StringImLooking4 Unixware 7 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dinplant
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching text files on specific columns for duplicates

Is it possible to search through a large file full of rows and columns of text and retrieve only the rows that contain duplicates fields, searchiing for duplicates on col4 & col6 Sample below Col1 col2 col3 col4 col5 col6 G405H SURG FERGUSON ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gerry405
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep - searching for a specific string

ppl, this is my "file" with fields orderno orderdate orderdesc telno street city 1 01/04/2006 abc 123 100 tampa 2 01/04/2006 abc 123 100 tampa 3 01/04/2006 abc 123 100 tampa 4 01/04/2006 abc ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manthasirisha
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to perform Grep on many Gzip files, Searching for Specific information

Hello, I am wondering if you can assist with my question and ask kindly for this. I have a number of files that are listed as file1.gz through file100.gz. I am trying to perform a grep on the files and find a specific date that only resides within within one of the files. There are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: legharb
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for specific filenames

Hi I would like to know how to search through a directory and pull out files that has a specific pattern in the filename. For example if the filename has "bsc" in it, then that file must be moved to another directory where I will perform some operations on it. I know grep can be used, but I'm... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
17 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Watch directory and move specific file extensions

Hi all, This is actually more for my lazyness then anything else, but I think others might find it useful to use as well. Basically this is what I am trying to achieve... In my ubuntu home dir under Downloads is where firefox saves everything by default, now I know that you can manually... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: STOIE
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for a specific string in a file

Hi I am trying to search for a certain set of patterns within a file, and then perform other commands based on output. testfile contents: password requisite pam_cracklib.so lcredit=-1 ucredit=-1 ocredit=-1 script: D="dcredit=-1" if then echo $D exists else echo $D doesnt... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bludhemn
8 Replies

8. Red Hat

Moving of file content to another two files after searching with specific pattern

Hello, Please help me with this!! Thanks in advance!! I have a file named file.gc with the content: 1-- Mon Sep 10 08:53:09 CDT 2012 2revoke connect from FR2261; 3delete from mkt_allow where grantee = 'FR2261'; 4grant connect to FR2261 with '******'; 5alter user FR2261 comment... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Searching the value of a specific attribute among xmls files from a particular directory location

Hi Folks , I have the different xml files at the following directory `/opt/app/rty/servers/tr/current/ops/config` Let's say there are three files named abc.xml bv.xml ert.xml Now inside these xml there can be many tags as like shown below <bean id="sdrt"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclesamm
6 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)