Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Interactive script to give user option of what text to add Post 302523340 by marcozd on Wednesday 18th of May 2011 01:27:22 PM
Old 05-18-2011
Question Interactive script to give user option of what text to add

Hello all,

I have created a script that will remove the first two lines of one text file (body.txt) and then add the text from a different text file (header.txt) directly to the beginning of the freshly modified body.txt file. It is as follows:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

## This script will add a header to the text file generated from the ChemCraft program.  
## Make sure you have modified the header template files to your specific needs!

sed '1,2d' body.txt >tmp && mv tmp body.txt
cat /home/$USER/header.txt body.txt >tmp && mv tmp body.txt

I want to add the option to this script of letting the user choose which header to add. Let us say that there are four possible headers that one could add i.e. head1.txt, head2.txt, head3.txt and head4.txt and that these files are all located in /home/$USER/.

How would I go about modifying my script in such a way to so that the user would be prompted to chose one of these i.e., when they run the script, they get and must choose either the number 1, 2, 3 or 4.

Code:
Please chose the header you want to add:
1. head1.txt
2. head2.txt 
3. head3.txt
4. head4.txt

Once the user has chosen the number, then the script runs and uses the one that they chose, rather than the specific one I have in my file. I would also like it if the only values the numbers 1 through 4 would be accepted.

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to give permission for a specified user

Hi All, How can i give permission for a specific user ( eg. admin ) ? I tried with chmod admin+r prog.sh which doesnt work. Is there any way i can specify a user's name and give the permission? Thanks in advance. Saneesh Joseph. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saneeshjose
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP- Non-interactive user authentication

Hi All, sftp -b script.txt <hostname> user-authentication through non-interactive way is desired. But, its failing to do so. Could anyone kindly advise. Thanks for any/all help at the earliest. Regards, Dheeraj. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dheeruchakri
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to hide user inputted text for interactive unix shell script?

Hi everybody, Do you know how to hide the text for interactive unix shell script? Just like the case for inputting password during logon. Patrick (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patrickpang
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Non-interactive user switch to root

Is is possible switch user from a non-root user to root user without entering the password interactively inside a korn shell script which is run by a non-root user? e.g. I have a non-root user called infodba who is in dba group and I want to create a shell script which is executed by infodba... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
5 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with Interactive / Non Interactive Shell script

Q. Write a script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode. When no arguments are supplied it picks up each C program from the directory and prints first 10 lines. It then prompts for deletion of the file. If user supplies arguments with the script , then it works on those files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rits
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to write script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode

Q. Write a script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode. When no arguments are supplied it picks up each C program from the directory and prints first 10 lines. It then prompts for deletion of the file. If user supplies arguments with the script , then it works on those files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rits
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interactive shell - Give answers to shell

Hi, I have a script that calles some other scripts. Those scripts are expecting some inputs. Right no I am typing manually. But now the number of questions from other scripts are too much and I want to give asnwers autimatically. example. Other scripts gives me 2 options 1) joom... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: microsim
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to give a user sudo permissions

Can some one please let me know a script which gives the user sudo permissions? Thanks in advance.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Revanth547
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to call a menu script and redirect each option to a text file

Hello, I want to design a script that will call an existing menu script and select options one by one and redirict the out put to a file. For example;- In the script MENU.sh there are 10 options i want to design a script MENU2.sh that will select option 2 3 4 6 7 10 and redirict the output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spradha
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recording user input from interactive shell script

Hello, I want to start out by saying that I am fairly new to scripting and am looking for someone that can point me in the right direction. Basically what I need is a way to run a interactive script that will prompt users with questions weather that be yes/no or a specific answer.. I want to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoutcast
3 Replies
pdbtxt2html(1)						      General Commands Manual						    pdbtxt2html(1)

NAME
pdbtxt2html - Doc Text to HTML converter for Palm Pilots SYNOPSIS
pdbtxt2html [ -t ] file.txt [ file.html ] pdbtxt2html -v DESCRIPTION
pdbtxt2html converts text converted from a Doc(4) file via txt2pdbdoc(1) to HTML. If no HTML filename is given, the generated HTML is sent to standard output. Document Title The first line of the file is used for the HTML document title. Bookmarks The last line of the file is examined and, if it contains a string enclosed between < and >, that is taken to be the bookmark marker. The entire file is then scanned looking for lines beginning with it (ignoring leading whitespace). These lines are converted to HTML headings. The number of whitespace characters after the first bookmark marker is used for heading level 1. The level of subsequent headings is set to the number of whitespace characters between the bookmark marker and the bookmark text minus the number for the first bookmark plus one. Embedded URLs Valid URLs (according to RFC 1630) embedded in the text are turned into hyperlinks. The ftp, gopher, http, https, mailto, news, telnet, and wais URLs are recognized. OPTIONS
-t Compile a table of contents and insert it between the first heading and the body. -v Print the version number to standard output and exit. EXAMPLE
To convert a Doc file to HTML: txt2pdbdoc alice.pdb alice.txt pdbtxt2html alice.txt alice.html SEE ALSO
html2pdbtxt(1), txt2pdbdoc(1), doc(4), pdb(4) Tim Berners Lee. Universal Resource Identifiers in WWW, Network Working Group of the Internet Engineering Task Force, June 1994. http://info.internet.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc/files/rfc1630.txt AUTHOR
Paul J. Lucas <pauljlucas@mac.com> txt2pdbdoc January 21, 2005 pdbtxt2html(1)