Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Printing extended ASCII
Operating Systems AIX Printing extended ASCII Post 302523130 by petervg on Wednesday 18th of May 2011 03:43:25 AM
Old 05-18-2011
Printing extended ASCII

Hi All,

I'm trying to send extended ascii characters to my HP2055 as part of PCL printer control codes. What I want to do is select a bar code font, print the bar code and reset the printer to the default font.

Selecting the bar code font works good. Printing the bar code goes almost ok too.

Problem is printing the correct start and stop sequence with AIX. These start and stop sequence are extende ascii values (162 and 164) and these will not print with AIX.

The barcode I'm trying to print is

Code:
^[(2Y^[(s0p8.33h85v0s0b0T¢ABCDEFGHJIK¤

Where the characters in red are not prining correctly.

When I send the same stream from a windows system, the correct bar code (including the correct start and stop characters) are printed. This leads me to conclude that the problem might be AIX bound.

Anyone struggled with the samen problem?

--Peter

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Extended ascii

Hi all, I would like to change the extended ascii code ( 128 - 255). I tried to change LC_ALL and LANG in current session ( values from locale -a) and for no good. Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: avis
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extended ascii problem

hi i would like to check text files if they contain extended ascii characters within or not. i really dont have any idea how to start your kind help would be very much appreciated thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: smooth
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Processing extended ascii character file names in UNIX (BASH scipts)

Hi, I have a accentuated letter (ö) in a script for an Installer. It's a file name. This is not working and I'm told to try using the octal value for the extended ascii character. Does anyone no how to do this? If I had the word "filförval", can I just put in the value between the letters, like... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: peli
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify extended ascii characters in a file

Hi, Is there a way to identify the lines in a file having extended ascii characters and display the same? For instance I have a file abc.txt having below data aaa|bbb|111|This is first line aaa|bbb|222|This is secõnd line aaa|bbb|333|This is third line aaa|bbb|444|This is foùrth line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: decci_7
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and Replace Extended Ascii Characters

We are getting extended Ascii characters in the input file and my requirement is to search and replace them with a space. I am using the following command LANG=C sed -e 's// /g' It is doing a good job, but in some cases it is replacing the extended characters with two spaces. So my input... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysvsr1
12 Replies

6. Programming

How to read extended ASCII characters from stdin?

Hi, I want to read extended ASCII characters from keyboard using c language on unix/linux. How to read extended characters from keyboard or by copy-paste in terminal irrespective of locale set in the system. I want to read the input characters from keyboard, store it in an array or some local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removal Extended ASCII using awk

Hi All, I am trying to remove (SELECTIVE - passed as argument) Extended ASCII using Awk based on adhoc basis. Can you please let me know how to do it. I have to implement this using awk only. Thanks & Regads (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extended ASCII Characters keep on getting reintroduced to text files

I am working with a log file that I am trying to clean up by removing non-English ASCII characters. I am using Bash via Cygwin on Windows. Before I start I set: export LC_ALL=C I clean it up by removing all non-English ASCII characters with the following command; grep -v $''... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print byte position of extended ascii character

Hello, I am on AIX. When I encounter extended ascii characters and special characters on a file I need to print.. Byte position, actual character and line number. Is there a simple command that can give me the above result ? Thanks in advance (38 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosebud123
38 Replies
LPR(1)							      General Commands Manual							    LPR(1)

NAME
lpr - off line print SYNOPSIS
lpr [ -Pprinter ] [ -#num ] [ -C class ] [ -J job ] [ -T title ] [ -i [ numcols ]] [ -1234 font ] [ -wnum ] [ -pltndgvcfrmhs ] [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
Lpr uses a spooling daemon to print the named files when facilities become available. If no names appear, the standard input is assumed. The -P option may be used to force output to a specific printer. Normally, the default printer is used (site dependent), or the value of the environment variable PRINTER is used. The following single letter options are used to notify the line printer spooler that the files are not standard text files. The spooling daemon will use the appropriate filters to print the data accordingly. -p Use pr(1) to format the files (equivalent to print). -l Use a filter which allows control characters to be printed and suppresses page breaks. -t The files are assumed to contain data from troff(1) (cat phototypesetter commands). -n The files are assumed to contain data from ditroff (device independent troff). -d The files are assumed to contain data from tex(l) (DVI format from Stanford). -g The files are assumed to contain standard plot data as produced by the plot(3X) routines (see also plot(1G) for the filters used by the printer spooler). -v The files are assumed to contain a raster image for devices like the Benson Varian. -c The files are assumed to contain data produced by cifplot(l). -f Use a filter which interprets the first character of each line as a standard FORTRAN carriage control character. The remaining single letter options have the following meaning. -r Remove the file upon completion of spooling or upon completion of printing (with the -s option). -m Send mail upon completion. -h Suppress the printing of the burst page. -s Use symbolic links. Usually files are copied to the spool directory. The -C option takes the following argument as a job classification for use on the burst page. For example, lpr -C EECS foo.c causes the system name (the name returned by hostname(1)) to be replaced on the burst page by EECS, and the file foo.c to be printed. The -J option takes the following argument as the job name to print on the burst page. Normally, the first file's name is used. The -T option uses the next argument as the title used by pr(1) instead of the file name. To get multiple copies of output, use the -#num option, where num is the number of copies desired of each file named. For example, lpr -#3 foo.c bar.c more.c would result in 3 copies of the file foo.c, followed by 3 copies of the file bar.c, etc. On the other hand, cat foo.c bar.c more.c | lpr -#3 will give three copies of the concatenation of the files. The -i option causes the output to be indented. If the next argument is numeric, it is used as the number of blanks to be printed before each line; otherwise, 8 characters are printed. The -w option takes the immediately following number to be the page width for pr. The -s option will use symlink(2) to link data files rather than trying to copy them so large files can be printed. This means the files should not be modified or removed until they have been printed. The option -1234 Specifies a font to be mounted on font position i. The daemon will construct a .railmag file referencing /usr/share/vfont/name.size. FILES
/etc/passwd personal identification /etc/printcap printer capabilities data base /usr/sbin/lpd line printer daemon /usr/spool/* directories used for spooling /usr/spool/*/cf* daemon control files /usr/spool/*/df* data files specified in "cf" files /usr/spool/*/tf* temporary copies of "cf" files SEE ALSO
lpq(1), lprm(1), pr(1), symlink(2), printcap(5), lpc(8), lpd(8) DIAGNOSTICS
If you try to spool too large a file, it will be truncated. Lpr will object to printing binary files. If a user other than root prints a file and spooling is disabled, lpr will print a message saying so and will not put jobs in the queue. If a connection to lpd on the local machine cannot be made, lpr will say that the daemon cannot be started. Diagnostics may be printed in the daemon's log file regarding missing spool files by lpd. BUGS
Fonts for troff and tex reside on the host with the printer. It is currently not possible to use local font libraries. 4th Berkeley Distribution October 22, 1996 LPR(1)