Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Xwindo won't open
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Xwindo won't open Post 302523070 by slak0 on Tuesday 17th of May 2011 08:06:24 PM
Old 05-17-2011
Xwindo won't open

When I boot I login as root at the console them select a second console and login as a user. After that is successful I start a window manager from /etc/X11/xinit by copying it to my .xinitrc.
About half the time I have to go back to the root console and bring up a window manager from there then logout from the xwindow and go back to the user console in order to start the window manager from there. Sometimes it is necessary to export DISPLAY=0.0 and that by itself in the user window rarely allows starting my window manager. Mind you the window manager is started from a bash script. Is there something I can add which will force the window manager script so I need not keep jumping between console and xwindows?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

won't mount /usr...won't boot fully

Hello: NOOB here. I attempted to use smit mkcd. Failed on first attempt, not enough space. 2nd attempt tried to place iso on /usr, not enough space there. Cleanup ran for about 5 minutes after aborting. Now AIX won't boot. LCD display on 7029-6E3 says: 0517 MOUNT /USR. Attempted to boot from CD... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbird
11 Replies

2. Red Hat

cannot set user id: Resource temporarily unavailable (not open file/open process related)

First post, sorry to be a bother but this one has been dogging me. I have a process user (java application server) that trips a resource limit every couple weeks and need help finding what limit we're hitting. First, this is what's running: This is the error when jobs are run or the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katahdin
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Program won't open

When i run a program in terminal by typing in the entire path along with the program name for example home/user/directory/subdirectory/program_name I get this error: Error initializing: File not found! However when I change my directory to the directory of the program cd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjd5023
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Vim help.txt automatically open every time I open vi

Hi Friends, Every I try to open a vi window vim help.txt automatically opens evertime. After doing ZZ or :q! also the same page opens automatically. How to stop this? Is it machine specific ? Other users who are opening the same servers and files are not facing this issue. Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudiptabhaskar
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vim help.txt automatically open every time I open vi

Hi Friends, Every I try to open a vi window, vim help.txt automatically opens evertime. After doing ZZ or :q! also the same page opens automatically. How to stop this? Is it machine specific ? Other users who are opening the same servers and files are not facing this issue. Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudiptabhaskar
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash script won't run because hardware won't produce display

Can anyone offer any advice on how to modify the script below to work on a new system we have, that has no graphics capability? We admin the system through a serial RAS device. I've tried running the below script through the RAS and through an ssh -X session. It failed with something like "GTK... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yelirt5
3 Replies
gnome-wm(1)							   User Commands						       gnome-wm(1)

NAME
gnome-wm - launch the GNOME window manager SYNOPSIS
gnome-wm [--default-wm wm] [--sm-client-id id] DESCRIPTION
gnome-wm is a shell script which launches the GNOME window manager, metacity. The user may specify that another window manager should be launched, either by using the --default-wm option or by setting the WINDOW_MANAGER environment variable. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --default-wm wm Launch the window manager wm. --sm-client-id iSpecify the session management ID with which the window manager should be launched. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Launching the dtwm window manager using --default-wm example% gnome-wm --default-wm dtwm Example 2: Launching the dtwm window manager using WINDOW_MANAGER example% WINDOW_MANAGER=dtwm gnome-wm EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-wm Executable for GNOME window manager ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-panel | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
metacity(1), gnome-session(1) NOTES
Written by Mark McLoughlin, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.10 9 Jan 2003 gnome-wm(1)