Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with format numbers
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with format numbers Post 302522493 by kato on Sunday 15th of May 2011 02:14:47 PM
Old 05-15-2011
If you want to test your amount and then print the formatted line if it passes the test, try:

Code:
awk '{a=substr($0,33,11); line=substr($0,1,1) "," substr($0,2,19); if(a>712.40) print line}' file

Please note, I have not replicated your entire substr() sequence for clarity, so just add it as required.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with floating point numbers in awk

hi all, i have the following problem using awk in a script i want to read the values from a column with real numbers and calculate the mean.the problem is that when i use a statement such as this num = $4 i cant find a way to convert the variable from string to floating point to perform... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanagias
7 Replies

2. Programming

format problem

hey everyone, Im making a program that prints different patterns using * like this: * *** ***** ******* ***** *** * i am letting the user decide what the number of rows can be, i want the shape to appear on the left (60 spaces from the right) if it is even and on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bebop1111116
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep or awk problem, unable to extract numbers

Hi, I've trouble getting some numbers from a html-file. The thing is that I have several html-logs that contains lines like this: nerdnerd, how_old_r_u:45782<br>APPLY: <hour_second> Verification succeded This is some of what I've extracted from a html file but all I really want is the number... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: baghera
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format problem

can any one know that how can i get perfect format of phone number my function is phone_number=`echo $name_number | awk '{print $NF}'` check=`echo $phone_number | egrep -c "--"` i get the format but if i need perfect format like xxx-xxx-xxxx. if i enter not in this format it still... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tarunsavalia
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with sub command (awk) and numbers

Hi, I am trying to perform a simple soustraction between two floating numbers and cannot get it done for some reason due to the use of the sub command. The following is the straight-forward result of the soustraction: $ echo | gawk '{a=968;b=967.99;c=a-b;print c}' ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indalecio
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with ranges of numbers

Good day to everyone! So, let's start :) I have a file with a numbers in some ranges for example: 1 10 49 72 ... and this file need to transform to: 1 2 3 4 (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shizik
14 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Magic numbers '&' operator problem

Hello everyone, on the man page of "magic(5)" There is explanation "&, to specify that the value from the file must have set all of the bits that are set in the specified value" . My question is that what is the difference between '&' and equal operator '=' ? I tested it with file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: segmentation
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Magic numbers string/B problem

Hello, In manpage magic(5) " The “B” flag compacts whitespace in the target, which must contain at least one whitespace character. If the magic has n consecutive blanks, the target needs at least n consecutive blanks to match. The “b” flag treats every blank in the target as an optional... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: segmentation
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with numbers in exponential format

Hi I have a shell scribt with some numbers in exponential format, for example, "1.23456789E +01" Now I would like to bring these numbers into a format without the E. Can someone help me Thanks Flo ---------- Post updated at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:14 AM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sbfly
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk: Wondering how to format numbers with comma

I have tried the following commands and can't get a number to format with commas: echo 1234567.12 |awk '{printf("%-12s %20s\n", $0, comma($0)) }' This prints out value 50000 without a comma for i in *13*; do (cd $i && du -sk . && echo $i);done|grep -v 0000|gawk -F OFS="," ' {SUM += $1}... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
8 Replies
bytes(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						bytes(3pm)

NAME
bytes - Perl pragma to force byte semantics rather than character semantics NOTICE
This pragma reflects early attempts to incorporate Unicode into perl and has since been superseded. It breaks encapsulation (i.e. it exposes the innards of how the perl executable currently happens to store a string), and use of this module for anything other than debugging purposes is strongly discouraged. If you feel that the functions here within might be useful for your application, this possibly indicates a mismatch between your mental model of Perl Unicode and the current reality. In that case, you may wish to read some of the perl Unicode documentation: perluniintro, perlunitut, perlunifaq and perlunicode. SYNOPSIS
use bytes; ... chr(...); # or bytes::chr ... index(...); # or bytes::index ... length(...); # or bytes::length ... ord(...); # or bytes::ord ... rindex(...); # or bytes::rindex ... substr(...); # or bytes::substr no bytes; DESCRIPTION
The "use bytes" pragma disables character semantics for the rest of the lexical scope in which it appears. "no bytes" can be used to reverse the effect of "use bytes" within the current lexical scope. Perl normally assumes character semantics in the presence of character data (i.e. data that has come from a source that has been marked as being of a particular character encoding). When "use bytes" is in effect, the encoding is temporarily ignored, and each string is treated as a series of bytes. As an example, when Perl sees "$x = chr(400)", it encodes the character in UTF-8 and stores it in $x. Then it is marked as character data, so, for instance, "length $x" returns 1. However, in the scope of the "bytes" pragma, $x is treated as a series of bytes - the bytes that make up the UTF8 encoding - and "length $x" returns 2: $x = chr(400); print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 1" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 400" { use bytes; # or "require bytes; bytes::length()" print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 2" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 198.144" } chr(), ord(), substr(), index() and rindex() behave similarly. For more on the implications and differences between character semantics and byte semantics, see perluniintro and perlunicode. LIMITATIONS
bytes::substr() does not work as an lvalue(). SEE ALSO
perluniintro, perlunicode, utf8 perl v5.16.3 2013-02-26 bytes(3pm)