Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Home directories in packages
Operating Systems HP-UX Home directories in packages Post 302522412 by DustBunny on Sunday 15th of May 2011 07:21:50 AM
Old 05-15-2011
Hi Michas,

Quote:
They use Serviceguard to provide different packages, which are treated as if they where seperate systems.
I think this might not be true. MCSG is a HA product. Kinda like you have few servers clustered together to ensure if one goes down, the other remains up. Yes, it has packages but, you do not have operating systems in packages. We have applications on packages. So, the server fails, all the packages (applications) move to the other node. Not the system itself!

Quote:
Therefore people log into packages instead of Host
Yes, we assign an (relocatable) IP to the package so the application users directly login to the applications instead of server. To say it simple, they use the application IP to access it. So, the users are not exactly aware on which server is running it. They need not know either.

Quote:
They "solved" the problem by either creating a single user on each package where everyone logs in, or by creating one passwd entry per user and package, to allow specifying the correct home directory on each package, which leads to me having a different name on each package.
Are you referring to a System user or a Application user? Both are different.

Again, the question here is on security than on MCSG. I assume it works as expected.

If we are talking about application logins and application security, its better we talk to DB/Application team and get more information.

All the best!

-DB

Last edited by vbe; 05-16-2011 at 05:07 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

HACMP users home directories

What would be the best approach to configure one external /home f/s in simple two node config and have concurrent access ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zz2kzq
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete old home directories

I have a script that deletes obselete users from /etc/passwd then moves their home directories to another location. After 30 days, I need to delete the home directories that were moved to the new location. I would appreciate any ideas on how to delete the directories after the 30 days? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: munch
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why /home and /packages are network based?

Does anyone noe why /home n /packages r usually kept remotely..as in network base by administrators?is it because of security reasons??? thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rave77us
2 Replies

4. Solaris

How to backup /home directories?

I know that how to backup the home directories in sun sparc server. Firstly, umount the filesystem, Secondly, fsck the filesystem, Thirdly, ufsdump the filesystem. Anybody know how to type the full command line backup the /home directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingsan
1 Replies

5. Solaris

how to find the software packages and root directories

Hi all, i have one requirement to audit the software packages list in unix server. For this the i go through #pkginfo command.But there are lot of packages. i get confused how to find the software packages and root directories paths. Please let me know whether i am going correct way... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishna176
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Working with multiple home directories.

I need to rename a directory in every home directory on a given workstation. I am a newb to scripting so maybe thats why I cant exactly figure out how to correctly do this. The first thing I need to be able to do to write this script is figure out how to list all the directorys (these are not... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX home directories

Hi All, Could someone help, am a complete beginner when it comes to UNIX. However I have been tasked with investigating automatic creation of UK unix home directories. Is someone able to help? Thanks in advance! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zainster
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

List /home directories in a file

Hi, i was looking at a unix paper i found and one of the tasks was to create a file called 'usernames' that contains a list of all directories in /home. This file should be located in the /home/userinfo directory. How would i go about doing this without changing directories from the home... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: warlock129
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

home directories not being created by useradd

greetings. I'm using debian lenny, bash shell environment. It is my understanding that by default, the useradd command should create subdirectories under the /home directory, with the same name as the user being created, but this is not happening. I checked useradd -D and it showed, among... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fguy
2 Replies

10. Solaris

How to unmount user home directories ??

I've allocated /exports for all user directories by making separate directories under /exports..... :rolleyes: now i need to unmount /exports . But i'm unable to do that.. How can i troubleshoot this issue. Thanks in advance:D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies
nns_intro(3tcl) 					       Name service facility						   nns_intro(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
nns_intro - Name service facility, introduction DESCRIPTION
nns (short for nano nameservice) is a facility built for the package comm, adding a simple name service to it. It is also built on top of comm, using it for the exchange of messages between the client and server parts. This name service facility has nothing to do with the Internet's Domain Name System, otherwise known as DNS. If the reader is looking for a package dealing with that please see either of the packages dns and resolv, both found in Tcllib too. Tcllib provides 2 applications and 4 packages which are working together and provide access to the facility at different levels. APPLICATIONS
The application nnsd provides a simple name server which can be run by anybody anywhere on their system, as they see fit. It is also an example on the use of the server-side package nameserv::server. Complementing this server is the nns client application. A possible, but no very sensible use would be to enter name/port bindings into a server from a shell script. Not sensible, as shell scripts normally do not provide a comm-based service. The only case for this to make some sense would be in a shell script wrapped around a Tcl script FOO which is using comm, to register the listening port used by FOO. However even there it would much more sensible to extend FOO to use the nameservice directly. And in regard on how to that nns can be used as both example and template. Beyond that it may also be useful to perform nameservice queries from shell scripts. The third application, nnslog is a stripped down form of the nns client application. It is reduced to perform a continuous search for all changes and logs all received events to stdout. Both clients use the nameserv::auto package to automatically hande the loss and restoration of the connection to the server. PACKAGES
The two main packages implementing the service are nameserv and nameserv::server, i.e. client and server. The latter has not much of an API, just enough to start, stop, and configure it. See the application nnsd on how to use it. The basic client, in package nameserv, provides the main API to manipulate and query the service. An example of its use is the application nns. The second client package, nameserv::auto is API compatible to the basic client, but provides the additional functionality that it will automatically restore data like bound names when the connection to the name service was lost and then reestablished. I.e. it automatically detects the loss of the server and re-enters the data when the server comes back. The package nameserv::common is of no interest to users. It is an internal package containing code and definitions common to the packages nameserv and nameserv::server. All packages use the uevent package for the reporting of special circumstances via events, and reserve the uevent-tag nameserv for their exclusive use. All their events will be posted to that tag. INTERNALS
The document Name service facility, client/server protocol specifies the protocol used by the packages nameserv and nameserv::server to talk to each other. It is of no interest to users of either the packages or applications. Developers wishing to modify and/or extend or to just understand the internals of the nameservice facility however are strongly advised to read it. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category nameserv of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have. SEE ALSO
nameserv(3tcl), nameserv::auto(3tcl), nameserv::common(3tcl), nameserv::protocol(3tcl), nameserv::server(3tcl), nnsd(3tcl), nss(3tcl) KEYWORDS
client, name service, server CATEGORY
Networking COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2008 Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> nns 1.0 nns_intro(3tcl)