Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Perl] Same entries in file, but treat them different. Post 302522051 by ejdv on Friday 13th of May 2011 07:22:03 AM
Old 05-13-2011
mirni,

Thanks for this lesson in coding.
I really appreciate it.

You are right it could be much better, but you know how it is, you start with a begin and end time for one set of log entries and then using copy-paste you add and add in order to end up with an ugly looking piece of code.
Plus the time pressure of someone wanting this data.
Then it is too late to change it.

The data I got from this ugly script however was very valuable for some investigation, so it served its purpose.

But I will listen to your advise and will use your examples as training.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - treat multiple delimiters as one

Is there anyway to get awk to treat multiple delimiters as one? Particularly spaces... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the difference between dates?Can i treat as string?

Hi All , I have an output value with two columns like this... Days User 10 A 500 B 1 C How i can compare the first column value and passing the user name as parameter? For example : while read -r days If (days<=30) ; then value=days/30 x100 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: EDBGSK
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

while read loop w/ a nested if statement - doesn't treat each entry individually

Hi - Trying to take a list of ldap suffixes in a file, run an ldapsearch command on them, then run a grep command to see if it's a match, if not, then flag that and send an email alert. The list file (ldaplist) would look like - *********** o=company a o=company b *********** **... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlefrog
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

make script treat * as a regular character

I need a script that reads the out put of a command (softwareupdate --list) and will tally up the number of asterisks in the output and tell me how many there were. How do I go about getting my script to treat asterisks as a regular character and not a wildcard or some other operator? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

doubt to treat plaintext script

Hi everyone! first of all thank you all for the forum. My question is, is there a bash or java program, which addresses the existing text in the html that is visible in the web page for editing by another string, eg name1: flakjsdlñfjas Name of father: fdfjaksdfjskdfsd Well it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xavilito
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl's buffered I/O is causing me to miss latest log file entries in log colorizer. How to fix?

I've been finding myself using a log file colorizer written in perl to reformat and colorize the output from many different programs. Mainly, however, I use it to make the output from "tail -f" commands more readable. The base perl script I use is based on "colorlogs.pl" available from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcsteiner
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script modification - treat certain files differently

awk 'BEGIN{OFS=","} FNR == 1 {if (NR > 1) {print fn,fnr,nl} fn=FILENAME; fnr = 1; nl = 0} {fnr = FNR} /UNUSUAL/ && /\.gz/ ~ /FILENAME/ {nl++} <'{system ("gunzip -cd FILENAME")}' END ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Treat Command Output as a File

Hi. Before I've post this question, I have spent hours looking for the solutions but to no avail. Because I think it is possible but I just don't know what is the right keyword to search for. Ok, basically what I want to achieve is really simple. It's just that I don't want to write... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: aimy
20 Replies