Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting match string exactly with awk/sed Post 302521722 by Franklin52 on Thursday 12th of May 2011 05:28:08 AM
Old 05-12-2011
You can do something like this:
Code:
regex="Biochemistry and cell biology" 
awk -v var="$regex" '$0==var' J_Medline.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to match only exact string only in all occurences

Dear Friends, Anybody knows how to match exact lines only in multilinear. Input file: apple orange orange apple apple orange Desired output: fruit orange apple fruit i used the command (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasanth.vadalur
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get part of string in awk from match

Hi, Im an awk noob and I am having trouble trying to get matches. Here is my script: #!/bin/gawk -f BEGIN {} $0 ~ /<a href=".*">.*<\/a>/{print} Ideally I want to be able to get the actual link and print it. In PHP you can do preg_replace and get the match you want by using \\1 where 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adsyuk
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem using sed to match a string

Hi There! I'm stuck with a problem trying to output some sections of a rss feed to my conky program using curl and sed. The rss feed is for tide times and I wish to output the times but not the rest to the conky desktop. To do this I need to pull out the four instances of times that are in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: huffpuff
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk for trimming a string up to the first, then second, then third... match

Hi ! With awk, I would need to trim a string from the beginning up to the first occurrence of "1", then from the beginning up to the second occurrence of "1", then from the beginning up to the third, then the fourth...., then the last occurrence of "1". input: 1aaa1bb1ccccccc dd1e1ffff... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : match the string and string with the quotes :

Hi all, Here is the data file: - want to match only lan3 in the output . - not lan3:1 file : OPERATING_SYSTEM=HP-UX LOOPBACK_ADDRESS=127.0.0.1 INTERFACE_NAME="lan3" IP_ADDRESS="10.53.52.241" SUBNET_MASK="255.255.255.192" BROADCAST_ADDRESS="" INTERFACE_STATE=""... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed:- Supported variable replacement after string match?

Hi All, I am trying to replace the variable in the file after the particular match string. It is being replaced if i hardcode the value and with use of "&" with sed. sed -e "s/URL./& http:\\localhost:7223/g" But when am trying to pass the variable it is failing. I tried multiple... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsour
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with sed to match and replace a string

friends I am struck in a situation where I need to comment a line start with space as below in a file root@LOCALHOST * rw LOCALHOST* r I should comment second line only Any help please (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mallak
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match exact String with sed command

I have a workaround to the problem i m posting, however if someone wants to look at my query and respond ... i will appreciate. This is in reference to this thread -> https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/267630-extract-between-two-exact-matched-strings.html I have data.txt as... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - print only the chars that match a given set in a string

For a given string that may contain any ASCII chars, i.e. that matches .*, find and print only the chars that are in a given subset. The string could also have numbers, uppercase, special chars such as ~!@#$%^&*(){}\", whatever a user could type in without going esoteric For simplicity take... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naderra
1 Replies
DPKG-RUBY(1)						      General Commands Manual						      DPKG-RUBY(1)

NAME
dpkg-ruby - Utility to read a dpkg style db file, dpkg-awk clone SYNOPSIS
dpkg-ruby [(-f|--file) filename] [(-d|--debug) ##] [(-s|--sort) list] [(-n|--numeric) list] [(-rs|--rec_sep) ??] '<fieldname>:<regex>' ... -- <out_fieldname> .. DESCRIPTION
dpkg-ruby Parses a dpkg status file(or other similarly formated file) and outputs the resulting records. It can use regex on the field values to limit the returned records, and it can also be told which fields to output. As another option, it can sort the matched fields. OPTIONS
-f filename --file filename The file to parse. The default is /var/lib/dpkg/status. -d [#] --debug [#] Each time this is specified, it increased the debug level. -s field(s) --sort field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields to sort on. -n field(s) --numeric field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields that should be interpreted as numeric in value. -rs ?? --rec_sep ?? Output this string at the end of each output paragraph. -h --help Display some help. fieldname The fields from the file, that are matched with the regex given. The fieldnames are case insensitive. out_fieldname The fields from the file, that are outputted for each record. If the first field listed is begins with ^, then the list that fol- lows are fields NOT to be outputted. BUGS
Be warned that the author has only a shallow understanding of the dpkg packaging system, so there are probably tons of bugs in this pro- gram. This program comes with no warranties. If running this program causes fire and brimstone to rain down upon the earth, you will be on our own. This program accesses the dpkg database directly in places, querying for data that cannot be gotten via dpkg. AUTHOR
Fumitoshi UKAI <ukai@debian.or.jp>. This manual page are based on (or almost copy from :) dpkg-awk(1) manual written by Adam Heath <doo- gie@debian.org> DEBIAN
Debian Utilities DPKG-RUBY(1)