Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: MEMO: Issue with a for loop
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting MEMO: Issue with a for loop Post 302521559 by mrn6430 on Thursday 12th of May 2011 12:06:38 AM
Old 05-12-2011
Code:
for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    do
       eval serverlsof$i=`lsof |grep *:\$apsrvrport$i | awk '{print $2}'`
       eval echo "PID = \$serverlsof$i"
    done

Still the same issue.
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment
Please use code tags when posting data and code samples!

---------- Post updated at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:39 PM ----------

Need someone who knows about this to respond.

Last edited by vgersh99; 05-11-2011 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: code tags, please!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop issue

I have 2 files one of them has all the all mac addresses and the other one has all the ip addresses. Basically, I want to loop thru those 2 files and generate a configuration like below: host www184.domain.com { hardware ethernet 00:13:72:3B:B4:3A; fixed-address 192.168.0.184; }... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkkk
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

issue with for loop

Hi All, Please help me with for loop!!!! I have to put the limit with for loop like For I in 1..30 Do Echo $i Done I want my output to be like 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 till 30 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
6 Replies

3. Programming

Airport using semaphores and shared memo

Hi just doin' this here for the naval school, back here in Pportugal, and needed some help, especially with the shared memo i want to use for the 10 airport gate, and the maximum of 4 planes preparing to leave; canīt figure out how the gate can be id by the same PID. WELL, if someone wants to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Turbo
1 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Airport using semaphores and shared memo

Hi just doin' this here for the naval school, back here in Pportugal, and needed some help, especially with the shared memo i want to use for the 10 airport gate, and the maximum of 4 planes preparing to leave; canīt figure out how the gate can be id by the same PID. WELL, if someone wants to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Turbo
2 Replies

5. Linux

HOW CAN I PRINT OUT THE MEMO ONLY?

I tried to print out external memo in LINUX system, however, each time in the print out also print out M--. M--. in front of the external memo, my question is HOW CAN I PRINT OUT THE MEMO ONLY? THANKS (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottblee
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with while loop?

Hi, I have prepared a script to search for backup file information on the Linux server. Script works fine for the most part except the echo statement inside an IF conditional block displays the message ''snapshot directory not found on xxxxx" even though the .snapshot directory is found a... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with for loop

Hi Team, I have for loop in my shell script. Which basically loop through all files in the directory, When some files are in the directory it works just fine. But if there are no files at all..still the for loop try to execute. Please help. Below is the code. #!/bin/ksh echo "Program... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath561989
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Issue when doing a loop

Hi, I just have started learning shell scripting (sh). Why do i only get the date? while read dt do echo "Date : ${dt} sed -n '/${dt}/,/${dt}/p' file1.log | grep -w ERROR done < date1.dat INPUT - date1.dat 2019-04-05 04:58:25 2019-04-05 04:58:26 2019-04-05 05:00:56... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: margel
3 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::ErrorHandling::RequireCheckingRetuUserlContributed PPerl::Critic::Policy::ErrorHandling::RequireCheckingReturnValueOfEval(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::ErrorHandling::RequireCheckingReturnValueOfEval - You can't depend upon the value of "$@"/"$EVAL_ERROR" to tell whether an "eval" failed. AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
A common idiom in perl for dealing with possible errors is to use "eval" followed by a check of $@/$EVAL_ERROR: eval { ... }; if ($EVAL_ERROR) { ... } There's a problem with this: the value of $EVAL_ERROR can change between the end of the "eval" and the "if" statement. The issue is object destructors: package Foo; ... sub DESTROY { ... eval { ... }; ... } package main; eval { my $foo = Foo->new(); ... }; if ($EVAL_ERROR) { ... } Assuming there are no other references to $foo created, when the "eval" block in "main" is exited, "Foo::DESTROY()" will be invoked, regardless of whether the "eval" finished normally or not. If the "eval" in "main" fails, but the "eval" in "Foo::DESTROY()" succeeds, then $EVAL_ERROR will be empty by the time that the "if" is executed. Additional issues arise if you depend upon the exact contents of $EVAL_ERROR and both "eval"s fail, because the messages from both will be concatenated. Even if there isn't an "eval" directly in the "DESTROY()" method code, it may invoke code that does use "eval" or otherwise affects $EVAL_ERROR. The solution is to ensure that, upon normal exit, an "eval" returns a true value and to test that value: # Constructors are no problem. my $object = eval { Class->new() }; # To cover the possiblity that an operation may correctly return a # false value, end the block with "1": if ( eval { something(); 1 } ) { ... } eval { ... 1; } or do { # Error handling here }; Unfortunately, you can't use the "defined" function to test the result; "eval" returns an empty string on failure. Various modules have been written to take some of the pain out of properly localizing and checking $@/$EVAL_ERROR. For example: use Try::Tiny; try { ... } catch { # Error handling here; # The exception is in $_/$ARG, not $@/$EVAL_ERROR. }; # Note semicolon. "But we don't use DESTROY() anywhere in our code!" you say. That may be the case, but do any of the third-party modules you use have them? What about any you may use in the future or updated versions of the ones you already use? CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. SEE ALSO
See thread on perl5-porters starting here: <http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/mailing-lists/perl5-porters/2008-06/msg00537.html>. For a nice, easy, non-magical way of properly handling exceptions, see Try::Tiny. AUTHOR
Elliot Shank "<perl@galumph.com>" COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2008-2011 Elliot Shank. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2014-0Perl::Critic::Policy::ErrorHandling::RequireCheckingReturnValueOfEval(3)