Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: stderr/stdout
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting stderr/stdout Post 302521232 by BeefStu on Tuesday 10th of May 2011 03:48:34 PM
Old 05-10-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perderabo
You need to use the ampersand notation. Like this:
Code:
$ ( echo hello ) 2> errfile
hello
$ cat errfile
$
$ ( echo hello >&2 ) 2> errfile
$ cat errfile
hello
$
$

ineresting solution, can you explain it as now I am curious.

I looks like in the parenthesise you redirecting the word "hello" to
stderr but what does this do 2>errfile or why is it needed?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect stdout and stderr

How can I redirect and append stdout and stderr to a file when using cron? Here is my crontab file: */5 * * * * /dir/php /dir/process_fns.php >>& /dir/dump.txt Cron gives me an 'unexpected character found in line' when trying to add my crontab file. Regards, Zach Curtis POPULUS (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zcurtis
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

precedence of stderr and stdout

#!/usr/bin/perl open(STDOUT, ">>$Textfile") open(STDERR, ">>$Textfile") print "program running\n"; $final = join("+", $initial,$final) #5 close (STDOUT); close (STDERR);Hi all, above is my perl code. Notice i have captured the stdout and stderr to the same textfile. my code is expected to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: new2ss
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting STDOUT & STDERR

In bash, I need to send the STDOUT and STDERR from a command to one file, and then just STDERR to another file. Doing one or the other using redirects is easy, but trying to do both at once is a bit tricky. Anyone have any ideas? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jshinaman
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect stderr and stdout to a file

Hi friends I am facing one problem while redirecting the out of the stderr and stdout to a file let example my problem with a simple example I have a file (say test.sh)in which i run 2 command in the background ps -ef & ls & and now i am run this file and redirect the output to a file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushantnirwan
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use tee with stdout and stderr?

I have been doing this: make xyz &> xyz.log &; tail -f xyz.log The problem with this is that you never can ge sure when "make xyz" is done. How can I pipe both stderr and stdout into tee so both stderr and stdout are copied both to the display and to the log file? Thanks, Siegfried (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending stdout and stderr to a file

working on a c sell script I think I understand the concept of it, which is: filename >> file.txt (to appaend) or filename | tee -a file.txt (to append) The problem is that my shell script is used with several parameters, and these commands don't seem to work with just filename. They... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mistermojo
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Make STDERR readable as STDOUT

Hi all. I am trying to use backticks in Perl to put STDERR into a string. The code is... $readkey_test = `perl -MTerm::ReadKey -e 1`; print $readkey_test; if ($readkey_test =~ m/]/) { print "ReadKey not installed...\n"; } else { print "ReadKey installed...\n"; } If it comes up... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: austinharris43
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Redirect STDOUT and STDERR of chsh

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out! Forgot to put backslashes in my perl script to not process literals! Hi everyone. I am trying to have this command pass silently. (no output) chsh -s /bin/sh news Currently it outputs. I've tried.... &> /dev/null 1> /dev/null 2>&1 /dev/null 1>&2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: austinharris43
1 Replies

9. Programming

stderr stdout to a log file

I originally wrote my script using the korn shell and had to port it to bash on a another server. My script is working find for backing up but noticed that now after the move, I am not getting any output to my log files. Using Korn shell, this worked for me for some odd reason. This was sending... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

stdout, stderr redirection

Hi all, can someone help me with the next redirection? i want to redirect the stdout+stderr of a command to the same file (this i can do by prog &> file) but in addition i want to redirect only the stderr to a different file. how can i do this please? (in BASH) thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eee
4 Replies
GENDIFF(1)						      General Commands Manual							GENDIFF(1)

NAME
gendiff - utility to aid in error-free diff file generation SYNOPSIS
gendiff <directory> <diff-extension> DESCRIPTION
gendiff is a rather simple script which aids in generating a diff file from a single directory. It takes a directory name and a "diff- extension" as its only arguments. The diff extension should be a unique sequence of characters added to the end of all original, unmodi- fied files. The output of the program is a diff file which may be applied with the patch program to recreate the changes. The usual sequence of events for creating a diff is to create two identical directories, make changes in one directory, and then use the diff utility to create a list of differences between the two. Using gendiff eliminates the need for the extra, original and unmodified directory copy. Instead, only the individual files that are modified need to be saved. Before editing a file, copy the file, appending the extension you have chosen to the filename. I.e. if you were going to edit somefile.cpp and have chosen the extension "fix", copy it to somefile.cpp.fix before editing it. Then edit the first copy (somefile.cpp). After editing all the files you need to edit in this fashion, enter the directory one level above where your source code resides, and then type $ gendiff somedirectory .fix > mydiff-fix.patch You should redirect the output to a file (as illustrated) unless you want to see the results on stdout. SEE ALSO
diff(1), patch(1) AUTHOR
Marc Ewing <marc@redhat.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution Mon Jan 10 2000 GENDIFF(1)