Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: The dig command
Special Forums IP Networking The dig command Post 302521161 by Perderabo on Tuesday 10th of May 2011 11:33:40 AM
Old 05-10-2011
It never occurred to me to try something like this. I have tested it and it seems to work exactly as you want. Like you, I see no explicit support for this in the man page. But it does say
Quote:
Unless it is told to query a specific name server, dig will try each of the servers listed in /etc/resolv.conf.
which means that dig needs the ability to scan multiple name servers. So I guess your usage is ok.
This User Gave Thanks to Perderabo For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dig

what is dig? Is it just a advanced type of nslookup? how to use it? //nicke:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nicke30
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BIND and dig errors

Hi all, I'm running BIND 9.1.3 and the accompanying `dig and nslookup' on a vanilla Redhat 7.2 Linux box. I've produced all of my Zone data and config files (I used h2n with some manual tweaks to do this, as some >= v8.2 BIND features aren't properly supported as far as I can see). Im my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_pointer
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to UNIX - what script to dig into to

First I would like to thank you for your time in running a great Forum! Background - Windows/ASP/VB COM/SQL Server programmer/Webmaster. Desire - To build similar skillset on UNIX. I am looking at learning Perl or Python (maybe Jython due to connection to Java). I have a brief background... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimrod
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux dig command

When I use the linux dig command such as #dig yahoo.com it resolves but when I use the same command as root it gives me error "Segmentation Fault" Please advise I am completly baffled. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dig command output?

all, i am newbie to dns bind . Any help is very appreciated. I am using dig command to view the records in the config. I am expecting the following comamnds to display all the A (Address records) in the zone data file. my zone data file looks like this ------------------- $ORIGIN . $TTL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujathab
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dig query time

Hi Guys, I just need a confirmation if what think i know is right . dig yahoo.com ; <<>> DiG 9.7.0-P1 <<>> yahoo.com ;; global options: +cmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 27410 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mtomar
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

dig-x: only part of the output is needed

Hi everyone, how can I get the highlighted text only? I am only concerned with the first line of the "AUTHORITY SECTION" (in red). thank you in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abdulelah
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DIG uses localhost

Hi, I have these entries in the /etc/esolv.conf: ------------ domain xxxxxx search yyyyyy nameserver 127.0.0.1 nameserver aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa nameserver bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb ------------- When I use 'dig' or 'nslookup' command, like 'dig yahoo.com' it uses the localhost as the server. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaandana
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dig match

Hi, I am testing some code to match a grep to see if one of the dns server exists but it does not seem to match: ERROR: ======= CRITICAL: google.com DNS : ns3.google.com NOT found CODE: ===== if ; then echo "OK: google.com DNS : ns3.google.com exists" else echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmccabe
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl dig script

Experts - I was hoping someone could help me out with the logic on this perl script. I'm trying to run some dig commands and parse in such a way as to group them together. Here's what I have so far. #!/usr/bin/perl system(clear); my @host = qw/yahoo.com google.com /; foreach... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
2 Replies
MEMBERS(1)						      General Commands Manual							MEMBERS(1)

NAME
members - outputs members of a group SYNOPSIS
members groupname DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the members commands. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution. members is a program that sends a space-separated list of secondary member names to its standard output. OPTIONS
The programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. -a, --all Show all group members on one line. This is the default. -p, --primary Show only primary group members. -s, --secondary Show only secondary group members. -t, --two-lines Send two lines to standard output. First line is primary members, second line is secondary members. NOTE: This always displays two lines, even if there are no members at all. -h, --help Show summary of options. DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 (i.e. "success") if the group was found, and 1 (i.e., "failure") if the group was not found. Technically, the exit status hinges on the output of getgrnam(3) as follows: if getgrnam(3) returns a null pointer, the exit status is 1, and 0 otherwise. BUGS
I don't know of any! If you find one, please let me know! SEE ALSO
groups(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Jim Lynch <jim@laney.edu>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). MEMBERS(1)