Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: parsing ifconfig output
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting parsing ifconfig output Post 302520952 by C0ppert0p on Monday 9th of May 2011 09:05:43 PM
Old 05-09-2011
parsing ifconfig output

I'm trying to gather information on the interfaces on a large number of servers.
If I run ifconfig I will get:
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:56:A2:27:C1
inet addr:10.145.xxx.xxx Bcast:10.152.45.255 Mask:255.255.254.0
-----
eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:56:A2:1D:21
inet addr:10.145.xxx.xxx Bcast:10.136.27.255 Mask:255.255.254.0
------
I have tried :
Code:
/sbin/ifconfig -a | egrep "inet|Link" | awk '{ if ( $2 == "Link" ) {print  $1} else { if( $1 == "inet" )  { print $2 }}}'

Which gives me:
eth0
addr:10.152.44.18
eth1
addr:10.136.26.137
What I want is this:
eth0 addr:10.145.xxx.xxx
eth1 addr:10.145.xxx.xxx
Some interfaces do not have addresses so I cant just concatenate sequential lines. Is there a simple way for me to get the format I'm looking for ?

Thanks

Last edited by Franklin52; 05-11-2011 at 03:39 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Further question on 'ifconfig' output

I asked a similar question earlier and got a very good answer but a new doubt came up. This is a few lines of a '/sbin/ifconfig' command on my PC: RX packets:3781025 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:1941909 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 Does the RX and TX packets... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mint1981
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing output

I have a file that contains the output of the ls -iR command, something like this: ./results: 2504641011 result_1410 2500957642 result_525 2504641012 result_1425 2500957643 result_540 ./tests/1: 2500788755 1 2500788743 1000 ./tests/2: 2500788759 3 2500788758 999 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: looza
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing output

I need to parse the following out put and determine if the USB is a DISK and whether or not it's External. If an HBA line contains "USB" then does the next line contain "DISK" and "External". 0:0,31,0: HBA : (aacraid,1) AAC SCSI 0,0,0: DISK : Adaptec ASR4800SAS Volu0001 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lochraven
6 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Ifconfig output - help understanding flags 'Smart, Simplex', etc

Hi - Trying to understand a few things from an ifconfig -a output - can't seem to find info anywhere on the net. Specifically - looking to understand the following: Flags=8863 Smart Running (is this the same as UP) Simplex inet6 supported media: autoselect - does that imply the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: littlefrog
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing the date output

Hi fellows, I need to define a notification for SSL certificate expiration. My Command output is below: (this is the "Expiration Date") Tue Mar 15 09:30:01 2012 So, at 15th Feb (1 month before the expiration), a notification has to be triggered by a script or sth else. How can i set an... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oduth
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing output

Can somebody provide a solution to parse the following; cat /tmp/xxx Name: QUE_REQU (o.mtaseast-o.dmart) (MTPost queue) Number of messages: 66446 (Age 686 min; Size 214 mb) Backlog (messages): 0 (Age 0 min) Name: QUE_REQU... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing Output of a Variable

i have a log file that contains something similar to this: one two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve thirteen fourteen one two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve thirteen fourteen one two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing IP and zonename from multiline 'ifconfig' output

Hi There, I have a Solaris server that has a bunch of zones configured and I am trying to write a script that will take all interfaces other than the loopback ones (e.g. lo0:3 etc) and present them so that I can easily determine the zone that owns the IP So in the case of the following... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing nsupdate's output

Anybody that's ever used nsupdate knows that it's error management is not very good. I have a wrapper script that when it's got all the information it needs launches the nsupdate command. This is my attempt at parsing the output to help support users quickly know if the command succeded or... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick72
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning ipv6 to bonding interface - getting old as well as changed ipv6 in ifconfig output

Hi, I have created a bonding bond1 interface with 6 Eth , mode=4. Recently i have changed my old ipv6 to new one and tried to restart as well as reload network service. Post which i can see old as well as changed ipv6 in ifconfig command output. Below are few files and command output for your... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
1 Replies
IFSCHEME(8)							     Commands							       IFSCHEME(8)

NAME
ifscheme - scheme control for network interfaces SYNOPSIS
ifscheme [-v] [[-s] newscheme] mapping <interface> script ifscheme-mapping DESCRIPTION
ifscheme allows you to change network configuraton schemes or query the current scheme. It integrates with the ifup(8) command and inter- faces(5). For example, you might use this program to configure a "home" scheme and a "work" scheme for a network device on a laptop. When you move between home and work, a simple command can reconfigure your networking. If you run the program with no parameters, it will tell what the current network scheme is. The ifscheme-mapping utility is used to tell the ifup and ifdown utilities about the current scheme. OPTIONS
-v --verbose Run in verbose mode. This is passed in to the ifup and ifdown programs as well. -l --list list all schemes available/defined in /etc/network/interfaces. newscheme -s newscheme --scheme newscheme Change to a new network configuration scheme. When the scheme is changed, network interfaces that were using the old scheme will be taken down and brought back up to use the new configuration scheme. -s or --scheme are mandatory if newscheme begins with a -. CONFIGURATION
To make the program do anything useful when a scheme is selected, you must edit /etc/network/interfaces to add a mapping for the interface (or interfaces) that can be controlled on a per-scheme basis. Suppose you want to control eth0 in this way. You might have an existing eth0 configuraton in there, such as: auto eth0 iface eth0 inet static address 192.168.1.5 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.1 To change this so you can chose between static routing and dhcp, replace it with the following (it helps to ifdown the interface first). auto eth0 mapping eth0 script ifscheme-mapping iface eth0-home inet static address 192.168.1.5 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.1 iface eth0-work inet dhcp Now if you run "ifscheme home" and ifup the interface, you'll get the eth0-home configuration stanza. If you run "ifscheme work", it will be changed to the eth0-work stanza. You can add additional stanzas as desired, but the label must always be of the form <hardware inter- face>-<scheme name>. If you have a second interface (perhaps a wireless network card on eth1), you can duplicate the above for that interface, changing the eth0 and the configuration details as appropriate, but remember to add an iface stanza for every scheme name for the second interface. FILES
/etc/network/interfaces the interfaces definition file /etc/network/run/scheme the current scheme /etc/network/run/ifstate a record of the current state of the interfaces, managed by ifup and ifdown BUGS
All schemed interfaces will have the same scheme. Any schemed interface which does not have an entry for the current scheme and is not configured when the scheme is changed will not be suc- cessfully configured when it is brought up. SEE ALSO
interfaces(5) ifup(8) ifdown(8) DISTRIBUTION
Redistribution is subject to the GNU public license. AUTHORS
Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net>, Peter Wilson <pwilson@cs.hmc.edu> IFSCHEME(8)