Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cat can not open file
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users cat can not open file Post 302520788 by paragd on Monday 9th of May 2011 07:49:12 AM
Old 05-09-2011
cat can not open file

Hi All,

I have stumbled upon very unique issue. In my script I am doing cat file and then greping and cutting so as to assign the value to variable. My file is,

<mxc_tl_load_extractdata_prop.bsh>

Code:
DB_USER=test_oper hostname=xxx FTP_USER=test1_operate
MAIL_LIST=xxx@yyy.com SLEEPTIME=7200 PROD_CONN=aaa.bb.cc.com UAT_CONN=bbb.bb.cc.com PROD_FTP_HOST=x1.bb.cc.com UAT_FTP_HOST=y1.bb.cc.com

In my script ,
Code:
FTP_USER=`cat mxc_tl_load_extractdata_prop.bsh| grep -i "FTP_USER"|cut -d"=" -f2`

This command did not work and gives error as
cat: cannot open mxc_tl_load_extractdata_prop.bsh

But in the same script after above command next variable "hostname" is able to be extracted (with exact same command) and is assigned to variable.

The script worked on "SunOS 5.8 Generic_117350-55 sun4us sparc FJSV,GPUZC-Land" but issue is coming on "SunOS 5.10 Generic_137111-04 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise"

I have alrady checked for white space issue.

Can anybody help? Smilie

Regards
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment
Please use code tags when posting data and code samples!

Last edited by vgersh99; 05-09-2011 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: code tags, please!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Easiest way to cat out first 100 lines of a file into a different file?

Not sure how to do this exactly.. just want to take the first 100 lines of a file and cat it out into a second file. I know I can do a more on a file and > it into a different file, but how can I make it so only the first 100 lines get moved over? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read files, lines into array, cat vs open

Hi Everyone, I have a file: a.txt a,b,c,d,6,6,6 1,2,3,d,6,6,6 4,5,6,6,6,6,6 #!/usr/bin/perl use warnings; use strict; my @array = (); ### Load file into array for my $i (split '\n', `cat /tmp/a.txt`) { push @array, ; } It works. But my a.txt have 1million lines, and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

cannot set user id: Resource temporarily unavailable (not open file/open process related)

First post, sorry to be a bother but this one has been dogging me. I have a process user (java application server) that trips a resource limit every couple weeks and need help finding what limit we're hitting. First, this is what's running: This is the error when jobs are run or the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katahdin
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

for i in `cat file` do

in bash: for i in `cat file` ; do echo $i done; how will i do this in perl ? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error : cat: 0652-050 Cannot open

After processing around 300 files , I am getting the below error.Please help me to resolve it cat: 0652-050 Cannot open /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir/abc.txt mv: 0653-401 Cannot rename /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir/abc.temp to /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir/abc.csv: . . . how to avoid it. because I am getting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vsachan
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot open txt file in UNIX using cat utility

Hi, I am not being able to open txt files with 'cat'. One thing to mention is, the filenames start with #. I guess one can have a unix filename that starts with a special/wildcard character. I have filenames starting with @ and they are opening perfectly with cat. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subhasis
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh cat file output into a file on local computer

Hello, I'm on a remote computer by SSH. How can I get the output of "cat file" into a file on the local computer? I cannot use scp, because it's blocked. something like: ssh root@remote_maschine "cat /file" > /locale_machine/file :rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: borsti007
2 Replies
TRUNCATE(1)							   User Commands						       TRUNCATE(1)

NAME
truncate - shrink or extend the size of a file to the specified size SYNOPSIS
truncate OPTION... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Shrink or extend the size of each FILE to the specified size A FILE argument that does not exist is created. If a FILE is larger than the specified size, the extra data is lost. If a FILE is shorter, it is extended and the extended part (hole) reads as zero bytes. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --no-create do not create any files -o, --io-blocks treat SIZE as number of IO blocks instead of bytes -r, --reference=RFILE base size on RFILE -s, --size=SIZE set or adjust the file size by SIZE --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE may be (or may be an integer optionally followed by) one of following: KB 1000, K 1024, MB 1000*1000, M 1024*1024, and so on for G, T, P, E, Z, Y. SIZE may also be prefixed by one of the following modifying characters: `+' extend by, `-' reduce by, `<' at most, `>' at least, `/' round down to multiple of, `%' round up to multiple of. AUTHOR
Written by Padraig Brady. REPORTING BUGS
Report truncate bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report truncate translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
dd(1), truncate(2), ftruncate(2) The full documentation for truncate is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and truncate programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'truncate invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.12.197-032bb September 2011 TRUNCATE(1)