Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users While loop only if a condition is met Post 302520753 by Cranie on Monday 9th of May 2011 06:01:25 AM
Old 05-09-2011
thanks for the reply.

Code:
tmpPATH=${1}
tmpTAG=${2}

Don't have to be before the main function, the main function can get called with either the file or passed variables.

The problem I had with the script is I want an easy way to say, if values are passed i.e.:

Code:
./tester -d /tmp/PATH -t CAD

Then just send those and don't read the ./config.cfg file. If they are empty then read the file and loop (as would be mutiple iterations in there).

So the second solution I have works (and is what I am using). What I wondered, can you have the while loop enabled depending on a condition, and if that condition is not met then just run the code which would of been in while loop.

I know I have acieved this in the second example, but from PHP I would of been able to solve it using the first method. Shell seems to require loops / cases to have to be comepleted and not cross into other if / while loops (if that makes any sense)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send email to user when condition met

Hi all, I plan to write a shell script to inform users on their task when certain condition met. example: If a then email user on action a else email user on action b. I'm pretty new in scripting, appreciate any suggestions. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: *Jess*
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to break a loop if condition is met

I am having trouble figuring this code I want to grep a text from a file and if it match certain text it break out of the loop or it should continue searching for the text Here is what I have written but it isn't working while true f=`grep 'END OF STATUS REPORT' filename` do if ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Issemael
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

do nothing if condition is not met but not exit

Hello all, I created the below script....and it seemed to be working fine. My problem is i want the script to ignore rest of the things if my condition is not met but do not exit.... #!/bin/ksh ########################### ########################### # Set name of the listener, this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdul.irfan2
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete if condition met in a column

i have a table like this: id, senderNumber, blacklist ----------------------------- 1 0835636326 Y 2 0373562343 Y 3 0273646833 Y and I want to delete automatically if a new inserted row on another table consist anything on senderNumber column above using a BASH Script I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazzyzha
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk. Abort script if condition was met.

I want to abort script if input variable matched first field in any line of a file. #!/bin/sh read INPUTVAR1 awk "{if(\$INPUTVAR1 == $1) x = 1} END {if(x==1) print \"I want to abort script here\"; else print \"OK\"}" /etc/some.conf I tried "exit" and system("exit") but no luck. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: urello
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print specific field when condition met

Hi All, Seeking for your assistance to print all the specific field when the condition met. Ex: file1.txt 1|203|3|31243|5341|6452|623|22|00|01 3|45345|123214|6534|3423|6565|643|343|232|10 if field 1 = 1 and field 3 = 3 and field 5 = 5341 and field 6 = 6452 it will print from $1 to $10.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: znesotomayor
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting the records once condition met

Hi All, Seeking for your assistance to get the records once the $2 met the condition. Ex. file 1.txt 123455,10-Aug-2020 07:33:37 AM,2335235,1323534,12343 123232,11-Aug-2015 08:33:37 PM,4234324,1321432,34364 Output: 123455,10-Aug-2020 07:33:37 AM,2335235,1323534,12343 What i did... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on how to append on the filename when condition met.

Hi All, Seeking for your assistance on how to append the specific string when $3 condion met. ex. file1.txt ar0050046b16,5,888,0,0,0,0.00,0.00,0.00,0.00,25689.55 ar0050046b16,5,0,0,0,0,0.00,0.00,0.00,0.00,25689.55 ar0050046b16,5,0,0,0,0,0.00,0.00,0.00,0.00,25689.55 expected output:... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add another condition to bash for when not met

In the below I can not seem to add a line that will add Not low if the statement in bold is not true or meet. I guess when the first if statement is true/meet then print low, otherwise print Not low in $(NF + 1). I am not sure how to correctly add this. Thank you :). if(low <= $2 && $2 <=... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk - print when condition is met

I have a file.txt containing the following: Query= HWI-ST863:386:C5Y8UACXX:3:2302:16454:89688 1:N:0:ACACGAAT Length=100 Score E Sequences producing significant alignments: (Bits) Value ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tons92
2 Replies
IO::Async::Test(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      IO::Async::Test(3pm)

NAME
"IO::Async::Test" - utility functions for use in test scripts SYNOPSIS
use Test::More tests => 1; use IO::Async::Test; use IO::Async::Loop; my $loop = IO::Async::Loop->new; testing_loop( $loop ); my $result; $loop->do_something( some => args, on_done => sub { $result = the_outcome; } ); wait_for { defined $result }; is( $result, what_we_expected, 'The event happened' ); ... my $buffer = ""; my $handle = IO::Handle-> ... wait_for_stream { length $buffer >= 10 } $handle => $buffer; is( substr( $buffer, 0, 10, "" ), "0123456789", 'Buffer was correct' ); DESCRIPTION
This module provides utility functions that may be useful when writing test scripts for code which uses "IO::Async" (as well as being used in the "IO::Async" test scripts themselves). Test scripts are often synchronous by nature; they are a linear sequence of actions to perform, interspersed with assertions which check for given conditions. This goes against the very nature of "IO::Async" which, being an asynchronisation framework, does not provide a linear stepped way of working. In order to write a test, the "wait_for" function provides a way of synchronising the code, so that a given condition is known to hold, which would typically signify that some event has occured, the outcome of which can now be tested using the usual testing primitives. Because the primary purpose of "IO::Async" is to provide IO operations on filehandles, a great many tests will likely be based around connected pipes or socket handles. The "wait_for_stream" function provides a convenient way to wait for some content to be written through such a connected stream. FUNCTIONS
testing_loop( $loop ) Set the "IO::Async::Loop" object which the "wait_for" function will loop on. wait_for( $condfunc ) Repeatedly call the "loop_once" method on the underlying loop (given to the "testing_loop" function), until the given condition function callback returns true. To guard against stalled scripts, if the loop indicates a timeout for 10 consequentive seconds, then an error is thrown. wait_for_stream( $condfunc, $handle, $buffer ) As "wait_for", but will also watch the given IO handle for readability, and whenever it is readable will read bytes in from it into the given buffer. The buffer is NOT initialised when the function is entered, in case data remains from a previous call. $buffer can also be a CODE reference, in which case it will be invoked being passed data read from the handle, whenever it is readable. AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2012-10-24 IO::Async::Test(3pm)