Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Automating /etc/passwd maintenance Post 302520713 by ygemici on Monday 9th of May 2011 03:25:46 AM
Old 05-09-2011
if your system is similiar below files (so like redhat variants) you can try to check these
Code:
# cat /etc/login.defs |grep -i id
#   Directory where mailboxes reside, _or_ name of file, relative to the
# Min/max values for automatic uid selection in useradd
UID_MIN                   500
UID_MAX                 60000
# Min/max values for automatic gid selection in groupadd
GID_MIN                   500
GID_MAX                 60000
# On RH systems, we do. This option is overridden with the -m flag on

nfsnobody is a special user which used restrict root access with mapping (rpc.idmapd) root id to nfsnobody id with root_squash option that is nfsmount default.
usually it's id is 65534 (16 bit systems ) or 4294967294 (32 bit systems and probably 64 bit) for prevent the ID from running into a valid user or group ID in the nfs server.

regards
ygemici

Last edited by ygemici; 05-09-2011 at 04:33 AM.. Reason: user name correcting
This User Gave Thanks to ygemici For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Board Maintenance

Just a remark now the board has grown to considerable proportion. I see too little of an active hand(s) maintaning the boards, clipping away dead posts, moving posts that were created in the wrong forums etc. It's a bit tiring to see alot of threads ending in: this has been covered before, do a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: patvdv
7 Replies

2. AIX

maintenance level

Hello I have a question. I have several box with $ oslevel -s 5300-06-01-0000 My questions are: 1.-How long I can keept my actual technology level (in time) before I updated to the next technology level? My other question is If I have to update to the next technology level. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Operation and Maintenance

I gurus of Solaris, I need to do a Procedure concerning in the Maintenance of Solaris Server. What are the parameters that I must be see Periodically in a Server. For example the space I (df -h) must be each week.- In this server exist a Database aplication (Oracle), and log's that increase or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andresguillen
4 Replies

4. SuSE

Library Maintenance

How are libraries created and maintained? I tried the following to add prog.o to an existing library ar -r library.so prog.o but the output is "File format not recognized", on the other hand nm --print-armap library.so does print a table of contents. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NEED MAINTENANCE ON DISK

hELLO PEOPLE I AM DETECTING IN THE MIRROR ON MY SPARC THAT IS A DISK ASKING FOR MAINTENANCE. d0: Mirror Submirror 0: d10 State: Needs maintenance Submirror 1: d20 State: Needs maintenance Pass: 1 Read option: roundrobin (default) Write option: parallel... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: enkei17
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

maintenance script

Hi Guys i wonder if anyone can help. i want to create a script that checks multiple servers for disk space availible, cpu usage for past 24 hours. as well as check if all the hardware components are still doing their jobs. i will be doing this in the tcsh, can anyone help? OS = Sun Solaris 5.10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brian112
2 Replies

7. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

8. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Maintenance mode

i booted into maintenance mode boot -- -s from the console I got the Root password for system maintenance (control-d to bypass) I did control -d and then logged in it told me that I was booting into boot -s but after I did a control -d and logged in who -r shows ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: goya
9 Replies
mkpwdict(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      mkpwdict(1M)

NAME
mkpwdict - maintain password-strength checking database SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mkpwdict [-s dict1,... ,dictN] [-d destination-path] DESCRIPTION
The mkpwdict command adds words to the dictionary-lookup database used by pam_authtok_check(5) and passwd(1). Files containing words to be added to the database can be specified on the command-line using the -s flag. These source files should have a single word per line, much like /usr/share/lib/dict/words. If -s is omitted, mkpwdict will use the value of DICTIONLIST specified in /etc/default/passwd (see passwd(1)). The database is created in the directory specified by the -d option. If this option is omitted, mkpwdict uses the value of DICTIONDBDIR specified in /etc/default/passwd (see passwd(1)). The default location is /var/passwd. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -s Specifies a comma-separated list of files containing words to be added to the dictionary-lookup database. -d Specifies the target location of the dictionary-database. FILES
/etc/default/passwd See passwd(1). /var/passwd default destination directory ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), attributes(5), pam_authtok_check(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Jun 2004 mkpwdict(1M)