Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Tinycore not saving application installs Post 302520637 by a sandwhich on Sunday 8th of May 2011 09:14:48 PM
Old 05-08-2011
Tinycore not saving application installs

So I installed tinycore on a 32 mb flash drive using unetbootin a little while ago. I tried booting into it and the unetbooting screen appeared. I selected tinycore and everything booted fine. I installed a few things like perl and links, and continued on. When I booted into it again, none of these programs were retained. What can I do about this in order for the programs to be retained after each shutdown?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

saving a vi session

Apologies if this isn't quite the right thread I have a vi session and I have set a lot of tags with 'mx'. can I save this session preserving these tags so when I go back to the session I don't have to reset them all? cheers (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajcannon
0 Replies

2. Red Hat

Live-cd Saving changes

Hi all, firstly apologies if this is in the wrong category. I have been making livecds (fedora based) and to change eg the background i use below in the ks file. this works fine, however when i install the livecd it loses the changes. How can i make the changes so that they stay when... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: davewilks
5 Replies

3. Solaris

What default services will run when Zone installs?

Hi All, What services will run when zone is installed I found two services by doing svcs commands is there any thing else that runs when zone installed? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaysachin
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving files

Hi all, I need to save my files at c, d or any drive location via script. Requirement. Say for example i have 10 files at location /usr/bi/ci location. 10 files naming a.ksh b,ksh c.ksh and so on I want to save the files and its content at some location (any drive on local... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_panky
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

"Walk" apache installs and do a tar on them...

Hello unix.com Community: I need help with writing a "common" script that can get the httpd installs by name and install directory|ies and tar.gz them up by name and point that tar operation to the matching install directory. I have 2 Distros that I am concerned with for this task: CentOS and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Habitual
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with script to automate CUPS printer installs

Good afternoon. :) I'm rather new to bash scripting, and have probably bitten off a bit more than I can chew to be honest, but I work in a service desk-like environment where one of the main complaints is that it takes our staff a long time to set up network printers on our clients' servers.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aperfecthalo
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Difference in conflict resolving between yum and rpm installs

Hi Guys, I am trying to test installation of a local rpm to my RHEL5 server. I am expecting it to fail as a previous version of the same package name exists. On using rpm -i this behaves as expected but yum install does not pick up the conflict. Here is the element of my SPEC file with the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gazza-o
5 Replies
REBOOT(2)							System Calls Manual							 REBOOT(2)

NAME
reboot - reboot system or halt processor SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/reboot.h> reboot(howto) int howto; DESCRIPTION
Reboot reboots the system, and is invoked automatically in the event of unrecoverable system failures. Howto is a mask of options passed to the bootstrap program. The system call interface permits only RB_HALT or RB_AUTOBOOT to be passed to the reboot program; the other flags are used in scripts stored on the console storage media, or used in manual bootstrap procedures. When none of these options (e.g. RB_AUTOBOOT) is given, the system is rebooted from file "vmunix" in the root file system of unit 0 of a disk chosen in a processor specific way. An automatic consistency check of the disks is then normally performed. The bits of howto are: RB_HALT the processor is simply halted; no reboot takes place. RB_HALT should be used with caution. RB_ASKNAME Interpreted by the bootstrap program itself, causing it to inquire as to what file should be booted. Normally, the system is booted from the file "xx(0,0)vmunix" without asking. RB_SINGLE Normally, the reboot procedure involves an automatic disk consistency check and then multi-user operations. RB_SINGLE prevents the consistency check, rather simply booting the system with a single-user shell on the console. RB_SINGLE is interpreted by the init(8) program in the newly booted system. This switch is not available from the system call interface. Only the super-user may reboot a machine. RETURN VALUES
If successful, this call never returns. Otherwise, a -1 is returned and an error is returned in the global variable errno. ERRORS
[EPERM] The caller is not the super-user. SEE ALSO
crash(8), halt(8), init(8), reboot(8) BUGS
The notion of ``console medium'', among other things, is specific to the VAX. 4th Berkeley Distribution May 9, 1985 REBOOT(2)