Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users how to put a .gz file in already existing archive folder Post 302520480 by AlphaLexman on Saturday 7th of May 2011 01:54:14 PM
Old 05-07-2011
You can 'append' file(s) to a tarball, but unfortunately in your case, you have to 'gunzip' in order to add another file to the archive.

I know this post is 4 days old and you may have figured it out already...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse the .txt file for folder name and FTP to the corrsponding folder.

Oracle procedure create files on UNIX folder on a regular basis. I need to FTP files onto windows server and place the files, based on their name, in the corresponding folders. File name is as follows: ccyymmddfoldernamefile.txt; Folder Name length could be of any size; however, the prefix and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MeganP
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy one folder to another with existing files

For example, /tmp/folder1 includes /tmp/folder1/a /tmp/folder1/b /tmp/folder2 includes /tmp/c Is there a command without removing files in /tmp/folder2 first to copy the /tmp/folder1 to /tmp/folder2? and the result should be /tmp/folder2 will include only /tmp/folder2/a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalelle
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

folder existing and file existing

I want to look into a folder to see if there are any folders within it. If there are, I need to check inside each folder to see if it contains a .pdf file So If /myserver/myfolder/ contains a folder AND that folder conatins a .pdf file do X Else do Z I may have multiple folders and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crowman
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Add existing user into an existing group

Pre: no gpasswd/adduser there is just usermod can be used, also there is no -a option for usermod. How should I add a user into a group? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2156z
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Management: How do I move all JPGS in a folder structure to a single folder?

This is the file structure: DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder1qweqwasdfsd/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder2asdasdasd/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder3asdadfhgasdf/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder4qwetwdfsdfg/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptaxpn
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for moving 3 days old file to Archive Folder

Hi Experts, I have a "Source" folder which may contain some files. I need a shell script which should move all files which are older than 3 days to "Archive" folder. Thanks in Advance... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani333
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to move set of file from one folder to another folder

Hi all, let me explain my requirments i am having 5 folder with different name for eg) abc , cdf , efd, rtg, ead each 5 folders contain 15 files i want to move 10 files to some other folder, remain 5 files should be there in the same folder. give me some suggestion on this. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: natraj005
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending a CPIO to an existing archive

I created a CPIO archive I wanted to add addition data to it but am having issues: -rw-r--r-- 1 test test 629295104 2011-10-28 12:41 /home/test/Downloads/test.cpio I tried: sudo find /tmp -depth | cpio -oAO /home/test/Downloads/test.cpio cpio: premature end of file and (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get all the files inside a folder then put the value in a variable?

Hi here is my code for i in `ls *.cmd` do msg aaa imp -U$AAAUSER -P$AAAUSERPWD <$i>>$curdir/import_tap.out -Jutf8 done I can only get all files with .cmd extension. what i need to get are all the files inside the specific folder Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmarzan
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to archive logs and sftp to another archive server

Requirement: Under fuse application we have placeholders called containers; Every container has their logs under: <container1>/data/log/fuse.log <container1>/data/log/fuse.log.1 <container1>/data/log/fuse.log.XX <container2>/data/log/fuse.log... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arjun Goswami
6 Replies
file-roller(1)							   User Commands						    file-roller(1)

NAME
file-roller - create, view, modify, or unpack an archive SYNOPSIS
file-roller [--add] [--add-to=archive] [--default-dir=folder] [--extract] [--extract-to=folder] [--force] [--help] [--usage] DESCRIPTION
The File Roller application enables you to create, view, modify, or unpack an archive. An archive is a file that acts as a container for other files. An archive can contain many files, folders, and subfolders, usually in compressed form. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --add Ask for the name of the archive, then add the files, then quit the application. You can also use -a to specify this option. --add-to=archive Add files to the specified archive, then quit the application. You can also use -d to specify this option. --default-dir=folder Specify the default folder for the--add and --extract options. --extract Ask for the name of the destination folder, then extract the files, then quit the application. You can also use -f to specify this option. --extract-to=folder Extract archives to the specified folder, then quit the application. You can also use -e to specify this option. --force Create the destination folder without asking for confirmation. --help Display help text. You can also use -? to specify this option. --usage Display brief usage text. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Unpacking an Archive example% file-roller --extract archive EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/file-roller Executable for File Roller application. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNW | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
File Roller Manual NOTES
Written by Laszlo Kovacs, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.10 29 Sep 2003 file-roller(1)