Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX echo "selall;info;wait;infolog" | /usr/sbin/cstm problem Post 302520333 by methyl on Friday 6th of May 2011 12:53:01 PM
Old 05-06-2011
Please read my post #4.
Environment variables are not files. Line breaks are not preserved. The "cstm" program output is somewhat verbose. $CSTM will just contain a lot of words with no line structure.
You are giving "echo" a single very long line. Or rather more importantly the "if" line becomes very long.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

difference between "root" and "usr" packages

Hi, could someone pls enlighten me on the difference between the "root" package and "usr" package? Like in this example: pkginfo -l SUNWGtku | grep -i desc DESC: GTK - The GIMP Toolkit (Usr) and pkginfo -l SUNWGtkr | grep -i desc DESC: GTK - The GIMP Toolkit (Root)... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: masloff
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling a shell script in background and wait using "wait" in while loop

Hi, I am facing a strange issue, when i call a script from my while loop in background it doesnt go in background, despite the wait i put below the whil loop it goes forward even before the process put in background is completed. cat abc.txt | while read -u4 line do #if line contains #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mihirvora16
2 Replies

3. AIX

echo $varibla | mail -s "subject" "xxx@xxx.com" not ruuning as expected

Hi Folks, As per the subject, the following command is not working as expected. echo $variable | mail -s "subject" "xxx@xxx.com" Could anyone figure it out whats wrong with this. I am using AIX box. Regards, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjarms
2 Replies

4. Solaris

The slices "usr", "opt", "tmp" disappeared!!! Help please.

The system don't boot. on the screen appears following: press enter to maintenance (or type CTRL-D to continue)...I checked with format command. ... the slices "0-root","1-swap","2-backup" exist. ...the slises "3-var","6-usr" -unassigned. :( (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh - understanding difference between "echo string" and "echo string > /dev/stdout"

I came across and unexpected behavior with redirections in tcsh. I know, csh is not best for redirections, but I'd like to understand what is happening here. I have following script (called out_to_streams.csh): #!/bin/tcsh -f echo Redirected to STDOUT > /dev/stdout echo Redirected to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcink
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

About reture with string and keep other "echo" info

I use below code to get ip, and I want to echo something in the function, but the $IP will be all the value from "echo" I just want to get the real ip, and keep the echo info, any help #!/bin/bash get_ip() { ip=$(grep -B2 "00:01:02:03:04:05" ip_tmp.log |head -1 |awk '{print $2}') ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

If cmd in in "A/user/bin A/bin A/user/sbin" but not "B/user/bin B/bin B/user/sbin" directory print t

there are two directories A and B if cmd in in "A/user/bin A/bin A/user/sbin" but not "B/user/bin B/bin B/user/sbin" directory print them (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX - io info get from "libperfstat" not match "iostat"

Hi, everyone. I need to write a program to get io info based on libperfstat. But the "write time" of a disk is just half of the value get from iostat. I'm confused and can't explain. Help please. How I calculate "write service time per sec": In iostat: write service... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackliang
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

"/usr/sbin/hpacucli ctrl all show" command does not work

Dear Concern, We have observed that following command stuck/does not work in some RedHat nodes. Please advise us to troubleshoot the issue. /usr/sbin/hpacucli ctrl all show Note: HP Array Configuration Utility CLI for Linux 64-bit With Best Regards, Md. Abdullah-Al Kauser (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: makauser
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mindboggling difference between using "tee" and "/usr/bin/tee" in bash

I'm on Ubuntu 14.04 and I manually updated my coreutils so that "tee" is now on version 8.27 I was running a script using bash where there is some write to pipe error at some point causing the tee command to exit abruptly while the script continues to run. The newer version of tee seems to prevent... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stompadon
2 Replies
SYSTEM(3)								 1								 SYSTEM(3)

system - Execute an external program and display the output

SYNOPSIS
string system (string $command, [int &$return_var]) DESCRIPTION
system(3) is just like the C version of the function in that it executes the given $command and outputs the result. The system(3) call also tries to automatically flush the web server's output buffer after each line of output if PHP is running as a server module. If you need to execute a command and have all the data from the command passed directly back without any interference, use the passthru(3) function. PARAMETERS
o $command - The command that will be executed. o $return_var - If the $return_var argument is present, then the return status of the executed command will be written to this variable. RETURN VALUES
Returns the last line of the command output on success, and FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 system(3) example <?php echo '<pre>'; // Outputs all the result of shellcommand "ls", and returns // the last output line into $last_line. Stores the return value // of the shell command in $retval. $last_line = system('ls', $retval); // Printing additional info echo ' </pre> <hr />Last line of the output: ' . $last_line . ' <hr />Return value: ' . $retval; ?> NOTES
Warning When allowing user-supplied data to be passed to this function, use escapeshellarg(3) or escapeshellcmd(3) to ensure that users can- not trick the system into executing arbitrary commands. Note If a program is started with this function, in order for it to continue running in the background, the output of the program must be redirected to a file or another output stream. Failing to do so will cause PHP to hang until the execution of the program ends. Note When safe mode is enabled, you can only execute files within the safe_mode_exec_dir. For practical reasons, it is currently not allowed to have .. components in the path to the executable. Warning With safe mode enabled, the command string is escaped with escapeshellcmd(3). Thus, echo y | echo x becomes echo y | echo x. SEE ALSO
exec(3), passthru(3), popen(3), escapeshellcmd(3), pcntl_exec(3), backtick operator. PHP Documentation Group SYSTEM(3)