Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX AIX power problem cron message on screen Post 302519979 by juredd1 on Thursday 5th of May 2011 01:53:33 PM
Old 05-05-2011
Generally when I see this it is related to a power supply failure. When the system detects a power supply failure it will put the entry in the crontab file to remind you every day of the failure. If you removed the entry from the crontab file and it is still notifying you then most likely it is cached.

To restart the cron daemon to refreshing what cron has cached up.

Code:
root@foobar:/ $ ps -ef | grep cron | grep -v grep
    root  15280      1   0   Apr 12      -  1:20 /usr/sbin/cron

root@foobar:/ $ kill 15280

It should auto start after you kill it. Just run the ps command again to make sure it is running again with a different PID number.

Last edited by juredd1; 05-05-2011 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: fix syntax

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron message queue problem

I have a problem with running jobs out of cron on Solaris 8. Initially when one of the users on the box (other than root) attempted to save the crontab after modification by using "crontab -e", the message "Crontab: cannot open the crontab file in the crontab directory" was given. I then... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattd
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cron wall message problem

Operating system sun solaris 5.8 My problem is : crontab -e 15 16 * * * /bckscripts/oo vi /bcscripts/oo = wall " stop backup " the system at the 16:15 all day time doesn't display message " stop backup " What's the problem ??? i'am root user the follow is the root dir... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tt155
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unwanted Error Message on Screen

Below is a part of the script that I wrote when checking whether a file exist in the Internal Disk or not. If a file doesn't exist, how do you get rid of the error message "file or directory does not exist" to show up on screen? Instead, I wanted only the warning message "FILE DOES NOT EXIST IN... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilak1008
5 Replies

4. AIX

AIX and cron logs filtering ?: /etc/cronlog.conf, /var/adm/cron/log

Hi, I can use 'crontabs –e' and do all the scheduling I like. However I would like to auto send myself just the cronjobs logs that fail. That is to say the PIDs that fail and the related lines with those PID’s only. (Not the full set of logs) Has anyone done this work? Or does an AIX 5.3 tool... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keith Johnson
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris box shows blank screen after power up

Hi All, I have a solaris machine that powers up and displays a blank screen? All the keyboard, monitor and mouse are plugged in. It was booting fine before and when it was disconnected and re-connected (mouse/keyboard/monitor) it just powered on and came up with a blank screen. Please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlee
5 Replies

6. AIX

AIX POWER 6 Prosessor

How AIX POWER 6 Processor exploit over 5.3 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanj
1 Replies

7. AIX

AIX does not boot after power on

We have a RS6000, model B50, type 7046, where I installed AIX 4.3.3 But, if the power goes off, the operating system does not restart, and I have to go there and push the button to start AIX again. Is there any way this procedure to be avoided, this is, I want the AIX to start automatically... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sebastia.net
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display message on screen and flat file at same time

Hi guys, I have a script that call another, the other displays de message and I can print directly to the flat file, but in one command I am searchig that this message can be displayed in the screen and in the flat file in one command. I am doing something like this: var=$(./Example.sh)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pipoca
2 Replies

9. AIX

AIX 7.1 screen problem

I am certain I have seen a thread for this somewhere but cannot remember where. The problem is for example when in smitty when all fields have been populated and return has been selected the screen clears and then returns with corruption. Also when using the more pipe once the end is reached or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnf
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting phone number, its message and assigning them into 2 variables then screen output.

Hi Everyone, I have a flatfile "inbox.txt" which contains some information: Location 0, folder "Inbox", SIM memory, Inbox folder SMS message SMSC number : "+24800000023" Sent : Sat 04 Aug 2012 09:01:00 PM +0700 Coding : Default GSM alphabet... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: testcase
5 Replies
CRONTAB(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						CRONTAB(1)

NAME
crontab -- maintain crontab files for individual users (V3) SYNOPSIS
crontab [-u user] file crontab [-u user] { -l | -r | -e } DESCRIPTION
The crontab utility is the program used to install, deinstall or list the tables used to drive the cron(8) daemon in Vixie Cron. Each user can have their own crontab, and they are not intended to be edited directly. (Darwin note: Although cron(8) and crontab(5) are officially supported under Darwin, their functionality has been absorbed into launchd(8), which provides a more flexible way of automatically executing commands. See launchctl(1) for more information.) If the /usr/lib/cron/cron.allow file exists, then you must be listed therein in order to be allowed to use this command. If the /usr/lib/cron/cron.allow file does not exist but the /usr/lib/cron/cron.deny file does exist, then you must not be listed in the /usr/lib/cron/cron.deny file in order to use this command. If neither of these files exists, then depending on site-dependent configuration parameters, only the super user will be allowed to use this command, or all users will be able to use this command. The format of these files is one username per line, with no leading or trailing whitespace. Lines of other formats will be ignored, and so can be used for com- ments. The first form of this command is used to install a new crontab from some named file or standard input if the pseudo-filename '-' is given. The following options are available: -u Specify the name of the user whose crontab is to be tweaked. If this option is not given, crontab examines ``your'' crontab, i.e., the crontab of the person executing the command. Note that su(1) can confuse crontab and that if you are running inside of su(1) you should always use the -u option for safety's sake. -l Display the current crontab on standard output. -r Remove the current crontab. -e Edit the current crontab using the editor specified by the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables. The specified editor must edit the file in place; any editor that unlinks the file and recreates it cannot be used. After you exit from the editor, the modified crontab will be installed automatically. FILES
/usr/lib/cron/cron.allow /usr/lib/cron/cron.deny DIAGNOSTICS
A fairly informative usage message appears if you run it with a bad command line. SEE ALSO
crontab(5), compat(5), cron(8), launchctl(1) STANDARDS
The crontab command conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). The new command syntax differs from previous versions of Vixie Cron, as well as from the classic SVR3 syntax. AUTHORS
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> BSD
December 29, 1993 BSD