Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Change root password remotely Post 302519971 by Topaz on Thursday 5th of May 2011 01:41:38 PM
Old 05-05-2011
Here is a script that you can use (see attached). You will have to modify it a bit because it is based on a source HP-UX box. But it will push out to most *NIX flavors.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

How to change root password on HP UX

Hello, I try to make a change on the root password on HP UX. I use sam but it didn't work here. I try to login as root but I failed however, I login to my name and then change to su and su password then it is o.k There is not much different from root and su but how do we use root? Thanks so... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mle06
4 Replies

2. Solaris

change root password

Hi, please advise me what is the simplest way to change root password on Sun Sparc 64 bit with Solaris 9 on it. Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

using ssh change password remotely?

Is it possible to change the password using a shell script, I want to remotely connect to a computer and then change password without manual intevention. Thanks in Advance Rishi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RishiPahuja
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

Change root password?

Hello! I forget the root password and I need to change it. I've read others threads about it in this forum, but it seems it's necessary to modify /etc/passwd file. In my HPUX Systems this passwd file have only "read" permissions ant its owner is the root user, so how can i modify this file, if I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaugrs
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change root password using shell script with standard password

Hi Friends. I am new to scripting now i want to change the root password using the script with standard password. which is the easy scripting to learn for the beginner, Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 8 - Asks for current root password when trying to change root password.

Hello All, I have several solaris boxes running Solaris 8. When changing root passwords on them, all will simply ask for the new root password to change and of course to re-type the new password. One of the systems however asks for the existing root password before it will display the new password... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tferrazz
8 Replies

7. Red Hat

Change password of linux servers remotely

Hi, I am very bad at scripting. I need help from scripting experts... I need to change password of around 100 linux remote servers. I have been given a script for changing the password that automates the task. however I do not understand the usage and meaning of the script, the script is an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: renuka
0 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Root access that can't change root password?

We are having a little problem on a server. We want that some users should be able to do e.g. sudo and become root, but with the restriction that the user can't change root password. That is, a guarantee that we still can login to that server and become root no matter of what the other users will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 244an
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Can a root role change the root password in Solaris 10?

i do not have root on a solairs 10 server , however i do have the root role, i was wondering if I can change the root password as a a role with the passwd command? I have not tried yet. and do i have to use the # chgkey -p afterwards? i need to patch is why i am asking. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goya
1 Replies
NDB(6)								   Games Manual 							    NDB(6)

NAME
ndb - Network database DESCRIPTION
The network database consists of files describing machines known to the local installation and machines known publicly. The files comprise multi-line tuples made up of attribute/value pairs of the form attr=value or sometimes just attr. Each line starting without white space starts a new tuple. Lines starting with # are comments. The file /lib/ndb/local is the root of the database. Other files are included in the database if a tuple with an attribute-value pair of attribute database and no value exists in /lib/ndb/local. Within the database tuple, each tuple with attribute file identifies a file to be included in the database. The files are searched in the order they appear. For example: database= file=/lib/ndb/common file=/lib/ndb/local file=/lib/ndb/global declares the database to be composed of the three files /lib/ndb/common, /lib/ndb/local, and /lib/ndb/global. By default, /lib/ndb/local is searched before the others. However, /lib/ndb/local may be included in the database to redefine its ordering. Within tuples, pairs on the same line bind tighter than pairs on different lines. The program ndb/cs (see ndb(8)) and the library routine ipinfo (see ndb(2)) perform searches for information relative to a particular host. Ndb/cs resolves meta-addresses of the form $attribute by returning the value from the attribute=value most closely related to the resolving host. The attribute-value pair comes from the tuple for the system, its subnet, or its network with the system tuple having precedence, subnet next, and network last. A number of attributes are meaningful to programs and thus reserved. They are: sys system name dom Internet domain name ip Internet address ether Ethernet address dk Datakit address bootf file to download for initial bootstrap ipnet Internet network name ipmask Internet network mask ipgw Internet gateway auth authentication server to be used fs file server to be used tcp a TCP service name udp a UDP service name il an IL service name port a TCP, UDP, or IL port number restricted a TCP service that can be called only by ports numbered less that 1024 proto a protocol supported by a host. The pair proto=il is needed by cs (see ndb(8)) in tuples for hosts that support the IL protocol. 9P parameters for the 9P file protocol, in particular whether the server authenticates (9P=auth). The file /lib/ndb/auth is used during authentication to decide who has the power to `speak for' other users; see auth(6). EXAMPLES
A tuple for the CPU server, spindle. sys = spindle dom=spindle.research.att.com bootf=/mips/9powerboot ip=135.104.117.32 ether=080069020677 dk=nj/astro/spindle proto=il Entries for the network mh-astro-net and its subnets. ipnet=mh-astro-net ip=135.104.0.0 ipmask=255.255.255.0 fs=bootes.research.att.com ipgw=r70.research.att.com auth=p9auth.research.att.com ipnet=unix-room ip=135.104.117.0 ipgw=135.104.117.1 ipnet=third-floor ip=135.104.51.0 ipgw=135.104.51.1 Mappings between TCP service names and port numbers. tcp=sysmon port=401 tcp=rexec port=512 restricted tcp=9fs port=564 FILES
/lib/ndb/local first database file searched /lib/ndb/global second database file searched SEE ALSO
dial(2), ndb(2), ndb(8), bootp(8), ipconfig(8), con(1) NDB(6)