Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting data searching and pasting with in the file Post 302519771 by ahamed101 on Thursday 5th of May 2011 03:44:51 AM
Old 05-05-2011
Try this

Code:
#with awk
awk -F, '/INS_FLAG,Analysis/ {val=$5} /trend,Analysis/ {sub(/runtime/,val,$0)} {print}' file > newfile

With the script
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
line=$( grep -n "trend,Analysis" file )
if [ ! -z "$line" ]
then
  lineNum=$( echo $line | cut -f1 -d":" ) 
  lineData=$( echo $line | cut -f2 -d":" ) 
  newData=$( grep "INS_FLAG,Analysis" file | awk -F, '{print $5}' )
  lineDat=$( echo $lineData | sed "s!runtime!$newData!g" ) 
  sed -i "${lineNum}d" file
  sed -i "${lineNum} i $lineDat" file
fi

regards,
Ahamed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pasting text into an existing file

I have a text file that has over 300 lines that I need to paste identical data to. What is the easiest way to do this? For example if I have a file that has lines of text xxxxxxxx and I would like to change each line to look like this "display text(xxxxxxxx)". What would be the easiest way to do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: darthur
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a particular string with spaces in a data file

Hi, I'm new to shell scripting and require your help in achieving the requirement. I have a data file which stores organization name as one of the column data in a csv data file. Organization name stored in data file is: Canadian OU CAD Sample Data file: 1,5,4,5,, ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy4013
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Preserve byte size of fields while pasting it to other file

Hello I want to set two fields in a text file to be of size 20. how to do it using unix ? eg: ABC.txt Name | City I want Name and City both to be of size 20. Also If I am pasting it in other file the byte size should be preserved.i.e. If I want to append content of ABC.txt to other... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching data files for another file of values

I've used awk for some simple scripting, but having trouble figuring out how to search a couple of data files that have Name/Address/Zip Codes from another file that has list of only Zip Codes, and write out the lines that matched. Zip code field in the data file is 27 I was thinking... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: matkins99
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any shell scripts for cutting and pasting part of data?

Hi, I have a tab-delimited txt file as below. It is part of the original file. I want to cut the lines starting with "3" in column1 and paste them before the lines starting with "1" in column 1. So I will get Anyone knows any simple shell scripts to do that? The original file is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cliffyiu
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pasting a column into a text file

I have two text files: One is a single column of numbers and the other is a space delimited text file with multiple columns. I want to paste the single column of numbers into the second column of the latter text file. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying and Pasting columns from one text file to another

I have a tab delimited text file that I want to cut columns 3,4,5 from. Then I want to paste these columns into a space delimited text file between columns 2 and 3. I still want to keep the space delimited format in the final text file. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading files and pasting in another text file

Hi all, I have certain task to do, which involves reading the first column of 1.txt file. This is variable "event" 28434710 23456656 3456895 & finding this "event" in some other text file 2.txt, which has information in the following format #Zgamma: 1 run: 160998 event: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjrasaxena
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetch the different data by searching with a same variable from a file in AIX server

Hi, I am trying to fetch the different values in an xml file by searching with the same variable in AIX Server. <name>SharedResources/Shared/JNDI/Username</name> <value>admin</value> <name>SharedResources/Shared/JNDI/Username</name> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tejastrikez
1 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines (with newlines excluded) that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(6). Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/grep.c SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(6) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)