Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Why older administrators prefer sendmail ? Post 302519355 by cjcox on Tuesday 3rd of May 2011 07:16:00 PM
Old 05-03-2011
sendmail contains a flexible rule engine. It can do more than just handle mail. Not saying that sendmail needs to stick around, just saying you can do a lot with sendmail because of this "generic" piece. It may be a bit cryptic, which is why you have things like "mc" files and such, but if you DO understand the macros and rule engine of sendmail, you can do weird and wild things with it. Just saying...

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Administrators Schooling

Hi, I was wondering how everyone has gotten good their training in unix. Did anyone specialize in college/university or take a course at a computer institute. At my college you can't really sepcialize in unix, there is only 2 courses. The first unix course is all about shell programming and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Astudent
1 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Question to Forum Administrators ?

How can i track all my previous, current posts at one single place. How to do that ? Thanks in Advance !!1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why most of the people prefer linux nowadays y not solaris?

Hi, Anyone plz explain me, Now most of the people prefering linux over solaris. what are the main advantages in linux over solaris. Thanks muthulingaraja (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muthulingaraja
3 Replies

4. AIX

Create Administrators

I think I've done all that is necessary to configure an account to administer a non-administrative group, but it doesn't work. One thing is strang is that when I log in as root, the group attributes in SMIT are like this: Group NAME Group ID ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laurin1
3 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Do you prefer Quickbooks, Microsoft or another small business accounting software?

I am starting a small business. I need software to invoice and track payments, track income and expense and basically keep everything organized for tax time. I've read positive and negative on all small business accounting software, so now I'm really confused. Oh, my business is a service one, so I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunybck
3 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

How do you prefer to read books?

Time for a new poll. Just wondering how members in this forum prefer to read books. Paper E-reader Tablet Laptop/Desktop Smartphone Audiobook Not much of a reader Other A poll is added. If you select option: Other, please specify what it is. :b: (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoda
14 Replies
SENSIBLE-MDA(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   SENSIBLE-MDA(8)

NAME
sensible-mda - a generic local MDA router for Debian systems SYNOPSIS
sensible-mda from to detail client-addr DESCRIPTION
sensible-mda is used to simplify the installation and configuration of sendmail(8) , or other MTAs for use on Debian systems. With sensi- ble-mda, sendmail can support a plethora of MDAs (procmail, maildrop, deliver, etc.) without having pick any one of them as required. FUNCTION
sensible-mda is called by sendmail as a local mailer when the following exists in sendmail.mc: define(`LOCAL_MAILER_ARGS', `sensible-mda $g $u $h ${client_addr}')dnl sensible-mda will look for the following MDAs (in this order), and pass the mail on to the first SUID MDA found (Or first found MDA, if run w/euid=root): procmail(1), maildrop(1), deliver(8), mail.local(8) OPTIONS
Available command line options are the following: from The sender of this email (sendmail $g variable) to The recipient of this email (sendmail $u variable) detail The detail portion of the recipient userid (sendmail $h variable) - ie: cowboy+sendmail@debian.org client-addr TCP/IP address of the sender (sendmail ${client_addr} variable) Not used (for the nonce) FILES
/etc/mail/sendmail.mc sendmail m4 input to generate sendmail.cf /etc/mail/sendmail.cf actual sendmail configuration file (treated as a binary file) SEE ALSO
sendmail(8), procmail(1), maildrop(1), deliver(8), mail.local(8) BUGS
None known so far. AUTHOR
Richard Nelson <cowboy@debian.org> HISTORY
4th Berkeley Distribution October 21 1999 SENSIBLE-MDA(8)