Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Timestamp copying giving file path and name as inputs Post 302519087 by arunreddy01 on Tuesday 3rd of May 2011 02:47:00 AM
Old 05-03-2011
Thanks frans Smilie Smilie .... and thanks for explaining my mistakes Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inputs from a file

Hi, I have a shell script that has to taken inputs from a file say "Inputs". Now I take 2 inputs at a time. Suppose the Inputs file contains numbers like 2 3 4 5 Now I have a written a script for adding 2 numbers. When I run the script for first time 2 and 3 must be the inputs. When i run the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendhil
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying unreference files and keeping absolute path

Hi guys, I'm creating a script that basically remove unreference files so at the moment I have something like: DAYS=30 for DIRECTORY in `mount | awk '{ print $7}'` do find $DIRECTORY -type f -atime +$DAYS < ~/files.log done for FILE in `awk '{print $1}' ~/files.log` do cp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hariza
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read inputs from a file

Hello; Please I need to read inputs from a file change 1 or 2 things the output to another file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimoney
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying a list of files from one machine to another with the same path

Hello All, I would like to download a list of files from a remote server to my local machine preserving the path i.e, create a similar directory tree. ex: files on the remote machine with path /remoteserver/005_S_0221/mpr/m1/I72128/dat/06A515T.dat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avatar_007
3 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

DOS Dir - listing of full path and timestamp

Hi, (Apologies, I'm sure I'm not the first person to raise this question but so far in my searches haven't found a good answer). I would like to output a listing per line of filename (including full path) and 'last updated' timestamp. e.g: Z:\dir1\file1.txt 01/02/2010 10:43... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GM_AIX
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting a relative timestamp from timestamp stored in a file

Hi, I've a file in the following format 1999-APR-8 17:31:06 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:15 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:25 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:30 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:55 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:32:06 1500 3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

latest files copying over to new path

ls -lrt | nawk -v D="$(date +'%b%e:'| sed 's/ //g')" 'D==$6$7":"{sub(".*"$9,$9);print}' This picks only the latest files created based on the timestamp for that particular day.. how do i copy over the same files to a different location???? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: win4luv
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare a file by its timestamp and store in a different location whenever timestamp changes?

Hi All, I am new to unix programming. I am trying for a requirement and the requirement goes like this..... I have a test folder. Which tracks log files. After certain time, the log file is getting overwritten by another file (randomly as the time interval is not periodic). I need to preserve... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailsara
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help: Script to report timestamp of directories in a specific path from multiple Linux server

Need help Please help on how to write a script which can echo timestamp, size of subdirectories in a specific path from multiple Linux servers to a text file. I can ssh with a common user to all the servers from a build box. Basic idea what I had was: ssh <commonuser>@<each box> cd... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudhichadaga
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve destination timestamp while copying

Hi Guys, I am trying to copy a file from source to destination, I need to preseve timestamp of destination cd desitnation ll file.txt Aug 17 17:22 file.txt cp -p source/file.txt destination/ I need to preseve same timestamp after copying cd desitnation ll file.txt Aug 17... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
9 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)