Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NFS4 locking file question
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users NFS4 locking file question Post 302518409 by jim mcnamara on Friday 29th of April 2011 02:20:11 PM
Old 04-29-2011
The specification ( http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3530.txt ) delineates read-locks and write-locks.

So, if your systems support mandatory locking, the result will be the same server to client as it is for local file I/O. The locks apply everywhere -> to all nfs clients.
If I open the file lock-write, nobody else can write the file. Nobody else can open the file for read-lock either. On your system - Read locks may be called shared locks; write locks exclusive locks.

I'm not sure what else will help you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp file locking

I have a set of scripts to do software releases to remote machines which uses ftp. I'm having a problem getting 'lost connection' messages. What I wanted to ask is, does ftp employ some sort of file locking if two ftp processes are trying to copy the same file at the same time? & if so could... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Pryke
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file locking question

Hi, Simple question but I just need to confirm the answer: If two or more processes attempt to move the same file at exactly the same time, will unix internal file locking allow only one of the processes to access the file? Many thanks Helen :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Locking in Unix

Hi I would like to lock a file using korn Shell Script before coping the contents of the file. Do let me know Thanks in Advance. Senone (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: senone
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Locking

Hi, Does anyone know what happens when two processes are simultaneously trying to write to a single file in UNIX (AIX)? Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penfold
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locking a file in ksh

We want to lock a file, during a program(pgm1) execution(until the execution of the program is completed), so that other program(pgm2) can't read/edit that file, until execution of earlier program(pgm1) is completed. How can this be achieved thru shell scripting... we tried chmod +l option, but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thanuman
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file locking

how do i implement file locking in unix? example if i want to update a file, i would like to use file locking. how do i implement it? i am using shell script thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yang
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to do file locking?

how to ensure all files are being locked while updateing some files? example when i want to update the password and shadow file in unix. how do i implement file locking?? please advice thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yang
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File locking

i am working on a device runnin on linux....i have configured the samba server in the device such that my windows PC can access a shared folder in the device. Also in the device i am runnin some programs which access the files in this shared folder. What i want to know is whether there is any way i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhinx
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Securing and locking down a file server

Hi everyone! I'm totally new to Unix/Linux. In my last job I was able to be exposed a little bit by using unbuntu desktop for 11 months and also the xemacs editor. I basically know nothing and I'm totally interested in ditching the Microsoft Environment. I would like to build a file server... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtaylor69
1 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help Needed Regarding Project in File Locking.

hai guys, I'am a newbie to this forum and to unix as well...as a part of our syllabus i got a project in Unix which i have to do in 4 days.Project is kinda File locking i will give the project specs...guys please help me.. Established client-server architecture using socket... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rosemolr
1 Replies
NFSCBD(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 NFSCBD(8)

NAME
nfscbd -- NFSv4 client side callback daemon SYNOPSIS
nfscbd [-p port_number] [-P client_principal] DESCRIPTION
nfscbd runs on a client using NFSv4 to handle callback requests from the NFSv4 server. If no nfscbd is running, NFSv4 mounts will still work, but the server will never issue Open Delegations to the client. One callback server and one master server are always started. The following options are available: -p port_number Specifies what port# the callback server should use. -P client_principal Specifies the host based principal name to be used as the target for callbacks over RPCSEC_GSS. For KerberosV, it must be in the client's default keytab file. This client_principal should be the same one specified by the gssname argument being used by nfsv4 mounts. If you do not specify this argument, callbacks will still work over AUTH_SYS, which is what many extant servers use even for RPCSEC_GSS mounts, as of 2009. For example, ``nfscbd -p 7654 -P root'' starts the daemon to handle callbacks on port# 7654 and is using the host based principal root@<client-host>.<dns-domain> as the callback target. nfscbd listens for service requests at the port defined by NFSV4_CBPORT in /usr/include/fs/nfs/nfs.h, unless -p has been specified. For more information on what callbacks and Open Delegations do, see Network File System (NFS) Version 4 Protocol, RFC3530. EXIT STATUS
The nfscbd utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
nfsv4(4), mount_nfs(8) HISTORY
First introduced with the experimental nfs client for NFSv4 support in 2009. BSD
April 25, 2009 BSD