Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Symbolic link for an existing directory Post 302518227 by zaxxon on Friday 29th of April 2011 01:43:23 AM
Old 04-29-2011
Could you please show what command you entered and what error you got? Please use [code] and [/code] tags when doing so, thanks.

Just in case: You can't create a hardlink for a directory. Creating a hardlink is being done with leaving out the -s switch in the ln command.
You might want to try to create a softlink which as no problems with that:
Code:
ln -s /my/existing/directory thisismylink

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

symbolic Link

question abt symbolic link ... i'm doing the following ... ln -s x.sh ./scripts/y.sh and cat ./scripts/y.sh it is giving following error cat: cannot open y.sh Any reason u an think of ? But it is working fine when i goto scripts directory and cretae the symbolic link. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhargav
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need some info about symbolic link and hard link

hello folks how y'all doin well i have some questions about symbolic link and hard link hope some one answer me i open terminal and join as root and i wrote ln -s blah blah then i wrote ls i see red file called blah blah but didn't understand what is this can some one explain and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: detective linux
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Any risk in chging /etc/conf/pack.d directory symbolic link?

We are migrating off an unsupported Stratus Continuum Model 418 PA-RISC running FTX 3.3.0. We're trying to hang on as long as possible, but we're down to 2.8% free in /, so need to free up some space until we're ready to migrate our DB. Currently /etc/conf/pack.d is symbolically linked to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kgert
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

symbolic link

Hi, i am trying to create sym links on sles 11 , but it seems i am doing something wrong. oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> pwd /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> ln -s /db/ACIS/dbase/dbf/ /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are the contents of a symbolic link?

Hiii... I wanna know "What are the contents of a symbolic link?"....... From google I dint get a good answer....that's why I posts here...... Thanking you. Krishna (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbolic Link Help

Hello All, This may be a silly question to some but I am really stuck. Is there a way to reverse the following; sudo rm /bin/sh sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh It was part of a driver compile/installation procedure by Digi for Ubuntu stating that dash isn't supported and a symbolic link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAVco
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls on a symbolic link

Hi all, Can anyone please confirm if the command below is the only way that I can get what the symbolic link is set to? mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$: ls -l | grep "^l" lrwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 28 Aug 9 2011 bdump -> diag/rdbms/posp1/posp1/trace mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP on checking for directory or symbolic link

Hi, Can anyone please advise why the following is not working as I expected it to be? Test script as below: #!/bin/ksh for checkdir in dir* do echo "Checking ${checkdir}" if ; then echo "... ${checkdir} is a directory" elif Output from sample run as below: $:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible

Hi everybody, I read about treads realted to this issue but they did not resovle issue given below. Please help me resolve issue given below I have html file under /srv/www/htdocs/actual_folder ls actual_folder/ test.html and following link works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic link

Hi, trying to understand more about symblic link, when I compiled a program called "match" in one folder ~/downloadsoftware/I want this program to be accessible like a system command by putting a symbolic link in /usr/bin/ Not by setting the $PATH method in .bashrc at this time. What I did is:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies
S3QLCP(1)							       S3QL								 S3QLCP(1)

NAME
s3qlcp - Copy-on-write replication on S3QL file systems SYNOPSIS
s3qlcp [options] <source-dir> <dest-dir> DESCRIPTION
S3QL is a file system for online data storage. Before using S3QL, make sure to consult the full documentation (rather than just the man pages which only briefly document the available userspace commands). The s3qlcp command duplicates the directory tree source-dir into dest-dir without physically copying the file contents. Both source and destination must lie inside the same S3QL file system. The replication will not take any additional space. Only if one of directories is modified later on, the modified data will take additional storage space. s3qlcp can only be called by the user that mounted the file system and (if the file system was mounted with --allow-other or --allow-root) the root user. This limitation might be removed in the future (see issue 155). Note that: o After the replication, both source and target directory will still be completely ordinary directories. You can regard <src> as a snapshot of <target> or vice versa. However, the most common usage of s3qlcp is to regularly duplicate the same source directory, say documents, to different target directories. For a e.g. monthly replication, the target directories would typically be named something like docu- ments_January for the replication in January, documents_February for the replication in February etc. In this case it is clear that the target directories should be regarded as snapshots of the source directory. o Exactly the same effect could be achieved by an ordinary copy program like cp -a. However, this procedure would be orders of magnitude slower, because cp would have to read every file completely (so that S3QL had to fetch all the data over the network from the backend) before writing them into the destination folder. Snapshotting vs Hardlinking Snapshot support in S3QL is inspired by the hardlinking feature that is offered by programs like rsync or storeBackup. These programs can create a hardlink instead of copying a file if an identical file already exists in the backup. However, using hardlinks has two large dis- advantages: o backups and restores always have to be made with a special program that takes care of the hardlinking. The backup must not be touched by any other programs (they may make changes that inadvertently affect other hardlinked files) o special care needs to be taken to handle files which are already hardlinked (the restore program needs to know that the hardlink was not just introduced by the backup program to safe space) S3QL snapshots do not have these problems, and they can be used with any backup program. OPTIONS
The s3qlcp command accepts the following options: --debug activate debugging output --quiet be really quiet --version just print program version and exit EXIT STATUS
s3qlcp returns exit code 0 if the operation succeeded and 1 if some error occurred. SEE ALSO
The S3QL homepage is at http://code.google.com/p/s3ql/. The full S3QL documentation should also be installed somewhere on your system, common locations are /usr/share/doc/s3ql or /usr/local/doc/s3ql. COPYRIGHT
2008-2011, Nikolaus Rath 1.11.1 August 27, 2014 S3QLCP(1)